Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Feb 18, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,100 of 1,253
I’m happy with the uni, but I prefer custom. This is definitely something I would get custom, it fits my other IEMs quite well.

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #1,101 of 1,253
Collected my custom Jolene from local shop on Monday and initial listen at the store felt something is missing. (bass hollow, mid & high not what I have listen from the shop universal set) Is true that you need to run in this IEM and after 3 days of running, it sound fantastic and I going to love it. After 5 days of running in, today went to the shop to compare the shop universal set and my custom and the custom sound better than the universal. (in term of imaging and soundstage)

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,102 of 1,253
So I had some work to do in the appartment since we're selling and I set out to do a listening session with the Jolene on the iFi Audio Go Blu and I was so surprised at how well the Go Blu balanced pairs with Jolene... I had a real blast! Go Blu is deceptively powerful and it's full signature works really well with Jolene...

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #1,103 of 1,253
So I had some work to do in the appartment since we're selling and I set out to do a listening session with the Jolene on the iFi Audio Go Blu and I was so surprised at how well the Go Blu balanced pairs with Jolene... I had a real blast! Go Blu is deceptively powerful and it's full signature works really well with Jolene...
The go blu has easily become my go to source since I picked it up. And the slightly warm sound it delivers does work well with the jolene. Actually I have barely used my n6ii since I got it. Technically it may not be at the same level, but honestly, it really doesn't matter for me and I struggle to tell any major differences anyways when listening to Spotify.

Haven't used the Jolene as much lately just because I haven't needed the isolation, but they are always a treat.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #1,104 of 1,253
Finally… after two months, my Jolenes arrived this morning and looking forward to spending some time with them… these things are pretty big. Initial thoughts from a cold listen are that the custom IEM game has moved on since my JH16 v1 from 10 years ago (which I still have, fit fine, and sound great!). Can’t wait to spend a decade with these new ones.

5EB477FE-6A60-4E7E-B798-237FBF028AC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,105 of 1,253
Finally… after two months, my Jolenes arrived this morning and looking forward to spending some time with them… these things are pretty big. Initial thoughts from a cold listen are that the custom IEM game has moved on since my JH16 v1 from 10 years ago (which I still have, fit fine, and sound great!). Can’t wait to spend a decade with these new ones.

5EB477FE-6A60-4E7E-B798-237FBF028AC0.jpeg
Nice set, I had considered the alternate signature designs for the L-R shells.

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #1,106 of 1,253
Nice set, I had considered the alternate signature designs for the L-R shells.
Thanks… wasn’t sure which of the two to get… so figured I get one of each.

The white marble effect one is cool… but the dark marble one has a sparkly glitter effect you have to see up close. Doesn’t come across in the photos and marketing.

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,107 of 1,253
Thanks… wasn’t sure which of the two to get… so figured I get one of each.

The white marble effect one is cool… but the dark marble one has a sparkly glitter effect you have to see up close. Doesn’t come across in the photos and marketing.
I went back & forth between the two signature designs; I eventually settled on the Hyper Black as I preferred this shell design, but the brass faceplates of the Jupiter design are nice as well. The alternate designs you've chosen makes it easy to quickly differentiate L-R. I've still barely put any hours on my set, but I'm hoping to get some more time with them this weekend. Enjoy!

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #1,108 of 1,253
I went back & forth between the two signature designs; I eventually settled on the Hyper Black as I preferred this shell design, but the brass faceplates of the Jupiter design are nice as well. The alternate designs you've chosen makes it easy to quickly differentiate L-R. I've still barely put any hours on my set, but I'm hoping to get some more time with them this weekend. Enjoy!
Mine are currently going through frequency sweeps and pink noise at 70% volume via my MacBook and a dragonfly red… they didn’t sound that great fresh from the box… muddled and bass lacked composure.

Fit is perfect though and I have to commend Graham in JHA London for doing some great impressions. Always a concern when going custom, with me having the same ‘fear’ the first time around 10 years ago.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,109 of 1,253
Mine are currently going through frequency sweeps and pink noise at 70% volume via my MacBook and a dragonfly red… they didn’t sound that great fresh from the box… muddled and bass lacked composure.

Fit is perfect though and I have to commend Graham in JHA London for doing some great impressions. Always a concern when going custom, with me having the same ‘fear’ the first time around 10 years ago.

Burn in takes a very long time with these. I thought something was wrong with them first. They went from terrible to the best iem/ciem I have ever heard.

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,110 of 1,253
A few days in… damn I love these things! They sound prodigious with pretty much any genre (I listen to eclectic Billboard chart hits, church choirs, through to violin concertos). They’re just so darn musical!

The bass adjustment is brilliant… 2 o’clock sounds flat-ish to my ears… 3 o’clock for most of my listening… max (5 o’clock) when out and about - it’s so decadent at this level.

Some may not believe in it, but I genuinely believe that you need to run these in for a few days. My JH16 v1 were fine after about a day of pink noise. These sounded muddy even after 2 days. 3 days in and they’re leaps and bounds from the initial listen (where bass was weirdly echoey). I personally think it’s the larger dynamic drivers needing to loosen up a bit… emphasised more by the fact that they cover both bass and mids in these things.

For those on the fence, I’d look to see if you can get hold of a universal pair to see how you get on with the sound signature and physical size (although universals would be larger than the customs in theory)… I’d personally go custom. Just make sure you get really good impressions done from someone who knows what they’re doing!

630991C1-FD77-4200-A253-EE4B8C220992.jpeg

C4589B57-F09D-4C76-970D-55958D6AE318.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back