Jan 28, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #1,036 of 1,253
Excellent choice Doug MacLeod 👍

Enjoy : these are beautiful, and they seem to rock! 😎😍👌

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #1,037 of 1,253
Excellent choice Doug MacLeod 👍

Enjoy : these are beautiful, and they seem to rock! 😎😍👌
Favorite blues man of mine, I love the "Black on Tan" series of 3 albums too

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,038 of 1,253
So... I have switched over from Shanling M9 to Fiio M17 and this is a much better pairing IMHO... mids are fuller contrary to expectations I had and it's a tad smoother which is not a bad thing given Jolene is quite energetic. This is a bigger, fuller Jolene and the stage is massive... M9 is kind of strange this way, pairing can go unexpected ways and not always in the same direction. Puzzling... M17 is more consistent and in the case of this pairing a better match.

Jolene likes the M17 amp section.... next experiment, plug Jolene into the Pro iCAN Sig with the Pegasus :)

In the meantime I am enjoying my guitars!

1643372604373.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #1,039 of 1,253
Synergy = this is the key. :thumbsup:

But, not an exact science. We necessarily need to try = "synergistic research" lol ! :smile:

I don't know any other way to do. :sob::sleepy::sleeping:

Yep... Taj Mahal ! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #1,040 of 1,253
Usually synergy remains a bit consistent... Shanling M9 is the first DAP and I have had dozens that behaves like this.
As I have posted before in the M9 thread, from this standpoint it's not a transparent source.
It can be for better, also can be less ideal...

While we're on albums... rediscovering this one on Jolene with M17, mightily impressive...

1643376246495.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #1,041 of 1,253
Maybe it's brain burn in or burn in but things are getting better... Aside from being the best portrayal of electric guitars ever - I can't get enough - Jolene has elite bass really this is special and many many tracks reveal a lot that wasn't there, there is simply more detail here and the headroom feels like Jolene always have this reserve of power on tap for whack, slam, bam! Despite the sub bass tilt and relative mid bass "self restraint" (wished the bass dial went to 4 or 5 o'clock :p) that is compensated by the sheer instant slam capability with a snappy attack and those huge bass notes.

It has been said but stage is so huge, combined with excellent imaging this makes for an easy to read image no matter what you throw at it...
Jolene is energetic but you keep finding yourself pushing the volume a bit, no distorsion whatsoever...

Real happy camper there...

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #1,042 of 1,253
Maybe it's brain burn in or burn in but things are getting better... Aside from being the best portrayal of electric guitars ever - I can't get enough - Jolene has elite bass really this is special and many many tracks reveal a lot that wasn't there, there is simply more detail here and the headroom feels like Jolene always have this reserve of power on tap for whack, slam, bam! Despite the sub bass tilt and relative mid bass "self restraint" (wished the bass dial went to 4 or 5 o'clock :p) that is compensated by the sheer instant slam capability with a snappy attack and those huge bass notes.

It has been said but stage is so huge, combined with excellent imaging this makes for an easy to read image no matter what you throw at it...
Jolene is energetic but you keep finding yourself pushing the volume a bit, no distorsion whatsoever...

Since you had the chance to listen to quite a few other iems how would you rank the Jolene compared with the best of the best you tried?

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #1,043 of 1,253
Since you had the chance to listen to quite a few other iems how would you rank the Jolene compared with the best of the best you tried?
Well it's up there with the best really from a pure technical standpoint... sure quad EST IEMs will do better upper treble wise but another thing to consider is the uniqueness of the Jolene's tuning. It's really something different... no IEMs does guitars like Jolene, it's really head and shoulders above everything to my ears on this front... The soundstage is the best I have heard to date, as pointed out by @Deezel177 it's huge... bass is among the elite as well.

This being said it won't please everyone but these days the only thing I am looking for is not more of the same but stuff that knows what it aims at and does it superbly and from that standpoint it's dead center in the target :)

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #1,045 of 1,253

give some electronic music a go just to feel that sub-bass goodness :L3000:
Those Were The Days

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #1,046 of 1,253
Well it's up there with the best really from a pure technical standpoint... sure quad EST IEMs will do better upper treble wise but another thing to consider is the uniqueness of the Jolene's tuning. It's really something different... no IEMs does guitars like Jolene, it's really head and shoulders above everything to my ears on this front... The soundstage is the best I have heard to date, as pointed out by @Deezel177 it's huge... bass is among the elite as well.

This being said it won't please everyone but these days the only thing I am looking for is not more of the same but stuff that knows what it aims at and does it superbly and from that standpoint it's dead center in the target :)
You mentioned guitars sounging the best. Do you recommend Jolene for fast metal music? Thank you!

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,047 of 1,253
You mentioned guitars sounging the best. Do you recommend Jolene for fast metal music? Thank you!
I don't listen much to fast metal but Jolene does metal and does it well!

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #1,048 of 1,253
I will leave a comment here to develop into a short impression just based on this artist.

WHY Jolene is not called JIMI?!

More to come…

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #1,050 of 1,253
A good question 🤔

That aside I do have the Jimi as well and it's an excellent IEM.

It makes for a great every day carry.
I saw one on Steronet… really tempted to buy.

But Jimi Hendrix is just on another level with the Jolene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back