Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Nov 26, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #826 of 1,253
Hey, everyone. 'Just wanted to let you all know that, because of a scheduling conflict with one of the other writers at THL, I'll be delaying my Jolene review ever-so-slightly to tomorrow. I'm polishing the last of the photos as we speak. But, so I don't leave you guys with nothing today, I'd like to drop a few tidbits here from the 5720-word article that's coming to your screens tomorrow. Cheers. :wink:

“JH Audio’s Jolene is a powerful, massive-sounding in-ear that, to me, most resembles a miniature PA system. It won’t lull the ear with soft serenades, nor is it intimate or saccharine in its delivery. It’s – without question – a stadium-worthy IEM that is most at home with big, dynamic, punch-in-the-gut music.”

JH-Jolene-5 (S).jpg

“Again, because of its mid- to upper-bass dip, it isn’t the ideal monitor for sweet, sultry, seductive vocals. This isn’t the IEM for a Laura Fygi or a Diana Krall. This’s more Alanis Morissette or Amy Winehouse’s wheelhouse.”

“A blend of treble extension and clever tuning of the mid-treble allow tiny details like chimes and shakers to sit exactly where they should; a touch further back and a bit above (height-wise) the lead instrument. This further adds to that PA system sound.”

JH-Jolene-8 (S2).jpg

“Against JH’s flagship Layla, the Jolene is a leaner, more dynamic, more contrast-driven in-ear. The Layla is a more lush in-ear with a fuller, more organic upper-bass-to-lower-midrange; deeper-steeped in warmth or smoke. And, the Jolene has a more prominent top-end as well, especially up in the air frequencies.”

“The EXT’s bass almost feeds into its midrange, adding that muscle and warmth described above. Whereas, the Jolene’s sub-bass tilt and high-bass dip means there’s more of a jolt when the bass does come in; more of a contrast. That is, again, more ideal on drums and dynamic as a whole, but at the cost of full, tonal linearity.”

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #827 of 1,253
Hey, everyone. 'Just wanted to let you all know that, because of a scheduling conflict with one of the other writers at THL, I'll be delaying my Jolene review ever-so-slightly to tomorrow. I'm polishing the last of the photos as we speak. But, so I don't leave you guys with nothing today, I'd like to drop a few tidbits here from the 5720-word article that's coming to your screens tomorrow. Cheers. :wink:

“JH Audio’s Jolene is a powerful, massive-sounding in-ear that, to me, most resembles a miniature PA system. It won’t lull the ear with soft serenades, nor is it intimate or saccharine in its delivery. It’s – without question – a stadium-worthy IEM that is most at home with big, dynamic, punch-in-the-gut music.”

JH-Jolene-5 (S).jpg

“Again, because of its mid- to upper-bass dip, it isn’t the ideal monitor for sweet, sultry, seductive vocals. This isn’t the IEM for a Laura Fygi or a Diana Krall. This’s more Alanis Morissette or Amy Winehouse’s wheelhouse.”

“A blend of treble extension and clever tuning of the mid-treble allow tiny details like chimes and shakers to sit exactly where they should; a touch further back and a bit above (height-wise) the lead instrument. This further adds to that PA system sound.”

JH-Jolene-8 (S2).jpg

“Against JH’s flagship Layla, the Jolene is a leaner, more dynamic, more contrast-driven in-ear. The Layla is a more lush in-ear with a fuller, more organic upper-bass-to-lower-midrange; deeper-steeped in warmth or smoke. And, the Jolene has a more prominent top-end as well, especially up in the air frequencies.”

“The EXT’s bass almost feeds into its midrange, adding that muscle and warmth described above. Whereas, the Jolene’s sub-bass tilt and high-bass dip means there’s more of a jolt when the bass does come in; more of a contrast. That is, again, more ideal on drums and dynamic as a whole, but at the cost of full, tonal linearity.”

Really looking forward to it :) The Jolenes have a very special sound.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #828 of 1,253
I managed to get the code to work. Is it working for you?

@nedplimpton Is there any way to specify/choose the 4.4mm option for the balanced cable, or is that something I can specify in the comments?
If you shoot me an email (tad@jhaudio.com) after everything is in your cart, we can amend the order for you. Currently, we are not offering the 4.4mm with the Jolene as it is technically an upgraded cable but if you're willing to pay the difference, we can set that up for you.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #829 of 1,253

JH-Jolene-5 (S).jpg

JH-Jolene-8 (S2).jpg

Deezel177
Always enjoy your reviews, and very much looking forward to reading it

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #830 of 1,253

Are killing me with the curiosity?

That Layla comparison is for me. :)

Need some Rock/Metal songs thrown in there.
Really looking forward to it :) The Jolenes have a very special sound.
Do you have the Jolene? If so, how do you think it performs with heavy Metal like Slayer and something more “light” like 80’ rock?

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #831 of 1,253
Would anyone know if these are a significant upgrade to the JH Audio JH13V2-Pro? I have these, they're a very good CIEM, but I always feel like something is just... missing. Like they could be wider, more dynamic, or have better resolution. Either I upgrade my CIEMs or my DAC/Amp. I'm running them on a Schiit Magnius Modius Stack right now.

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #832 of 1,253
Deezel177
Always enjoy your reviews, and very much looking forward to reading it
'Much appreciated, mate! :)

Are killing me with the curiosity?

That Layla comparison is for me. :)

Need some Rock/Metal songs thrown in there.

Do you have the Jolene? If so, how do you think it performs with heavy Metal like Slayer and something more “light” like 80’ rock?
They're not as prevalent in the Layla comparison, I don't think, but the words Rock and Metal (along with names like Joe Satriani and Chris Daughtry) are mentioned several times in the review, so don't worry. 'Only an hour or two away now. :wink:

Would anyone know if these are a significant upgrade to the JH Audio JH13V2-Pro? I have these, they're a very good CIEM, but I always feel like something is just... missing. Like they could be wider, more dynamic, or have better resolution. Either I upgrade my CIEMs or my DAC/Amp. I'm running them on a Schiit Magnius Modius Stack right now.
In terms of stage size, dynamics and resolution, the Jolene is a clear upgrade over the JH13v2, even though I haven't heard the latter in quite a while. If you're gunning for a similarly neutral, more-open-and-less-intimate sort of tonality, the Jolene would make a great successor.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #833 of 1,253

Yes. I think they are perfect for that kind of music :) Guitars sounds massive and clear. They have this almost speaker like sound that I never heard from a iem before.

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #838 of 1,253
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #839 of 1,253
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #840 of 1,253
Deezel177
THANK YOU for your review!
Great read as always. I too find the Jolene's very entertaining to listen to.

I have my Jolene's paired up with PlusSound's PPH cable, that you called a "Palette Cleanse" (again another review of your I really enjoyed reading) and had to go back and listen to some of the tracks you mentioned in the Jolene review as I thought with this combo it did give me back some of the intimacy it might lack and I think it does, as I've lost nothing from the positive points you've made. Perhaps with the cable change it is the reason I'm not hearing the mid/upper bass decline you mentioned.
IF not the cable change and somehow mine were built incorrectly, I'm keeping them as they do all that you said and not hearing the deficit as mentioned and just really enjoying the heck out of them, and just sorry the Jolene's haven't got the press others IEM releases have.
And really do agree with the "value" statement as you mentioned, as even with the PPH cable added, I'm far less than some of the other TOTL IEM's out there (and I'm seeing people here on Head-Fi adding cables to those TOTL IEM's further extending that price gap).
Thanks again and as always really do enjoy reading your reviews!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back