JH Audio Customs: Why doesn't Jerry fill the inside with silicon?
Jun 4, 2010 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CSIR

100+ Head-Fier
This just seems like a really good question to me.  If he filled the inside of the shell with silicon the drivers inside would get some shock attenuation and the silicon would also dampen the outside sound waves further.  I'd really wish he did as those Starkey customs from the other thread suggest an extra 4 dB of sound isolation.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 20
Good question
smile_phones.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 20
Not to threadcrap or anything, but silicon =/= silicone.  Silicon is an element; a shiny metal they use to make the integrated circuits for computer processors.  Silicone is what they use to waterproof things and seal windows.  Big difference.  If they filled with silicon the IEM would be very heavy and cost a fortune.  The sad thing is that even IEM makers get confused sometimes.  http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-silicon-and-silicone.htm

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 20
Apperantly the empty shell has the benefit of giving you tactile feedback, which enhances both your listening experience and your perception of the soundstage. I don't have a direct source for this, but I read it somewhere :p

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 20
Sorry I stole the silicon (sp) from Navea's post.  I would still be highly interested in having Warp ask Jerry as Warp is excellent at articulating musical equipment effects for various equipment. 

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 20
I did talk to Jerry about this. He said that he uses silicone only in his Aviation line to increase isolation, but avoids using it in the Pro music line because of the undesired side effects of additional dampening this creates on the BA drivers. Also, the drivers are not glued to the inside of the shell sidewalls but cast inside the surface during the molding process. So they are not going to come loose just by dropping the shells, which I believe was the OP initial concern.

This is my first Can Jam, but looking forward to the next one. I have learned more about this stuff in one day than the previous six months reading, listening and researching. It is worth every penny to come and here is two of mine to prove it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back