JH Audio Black Friday Sale
Nov 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #31 of 56
I'm in the same boat. I know as soon as I order the JH16, the JH3A will finally ship. UGH.  Decisions, decisions. I like the idea of portability and the flexbility with the JH16 not being tied to a specific amp and also being able to use them straight out of an iPod or iPhone.

Nov 24, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #32 of 56

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I know as soon as I order the JH16, the JH3A will finally ship. UGH.  Decisions, decisions. I like the idea of portability and the flexbility with the JH16 not being tied to a specific amp and also being able to use them straight out of an iPod or iPhone.

Same here, but I heard the reviews from CanJam 2010 of the 3A, and everyone mentioned how amazing they sounded. So I dunno.

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #33 of 56
thanks.  i decided, based on what jaime at jh audio and the audiologist told me to stick with the standard case, as it is supposed to protect the IEMs more than the nice looking carbon fiber box.   As a follow-up question (I asked this in a JH13 replacement cable thread too) - is it worth getting an extra cable? i know there are a bunch of TWAG cable fans out there, but when i heard the JH13s at the white plains ny meet last week, the JH13 with stock cable sounded great to me.   Also, is 48 inches the standard length for the cord (I'm trying to figure out whether I should get a 64 inch cord as a backup.  I know that's all small potatoes after shelling out for the IEMs, but still want to make sure i'm just not throwing money away if the replacement cords truly aren't up to snuff (which I somehow find hard to believe).

i have one other completely off the point question:  are there adapter plugs available in case i want to use the JH13s with a larger-sized input?  obviously, i don't want to compromise the sound of the IEMs if using one would do so.

thanks again.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #36 of 56
I have a new one on order (TWag) for my JH5s, but I noticed 1-2 in the FS forum for less than $300, way less. Might want to go used. As for being worth it, I am trusting some pretty long-term and knowledgeable HFers, but even if its marginal (10-15 percent, improved treble, etc), that I am good with that. As you know, the replacement cable wars have been ongoing for a long time. But to me, the more compelling data is on the side of replacing the stock cable, which is $32 (based on replacement cost).

And for sure, there are adapters for 3/4 inch plugs. I have a half dozen. Can't remember if one came with my JH5, but if not, PM me and I will mail you one gratis. No joke.

Quote:
thanks.  i decided, based on what jaime at jh audio and the audiologist told me to stick with the standard case, as it is supposed to protect the IEMs more than the nice looking carbon fiber box.   As a follow-up question (I asked this in a JH13 replacement cable thread too) - is it worth getting an extra cable? i know there are a bunch of TWAG cable fans out there, but when i heard the JH13s at the white plains ny meet last week, the JH13 with stock cable sounded great to me.   Also, is 48 inches the standard length for the cord (I'm trying to figure out whether I should get a 64 inch cord as a backup.  I know that's all small potatoes after shelling out for the IEMs, but still want to make sure i'm just not throwing money away if the replacement cords truly aren't up to snuff (which I somehow find hard to believe).

i have one other completely off the point question:  are there adapter plugs available in case i want to use the JH13s with a larger-sized input?  obviously, i don't want to compromise the sound of the IEMs if using one would do so.

thanks again.

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #38 of 56
maguire, dunno if the sale is still on, but as a fellow gs1000 owner (mine's the gs1000i) and someone who likes them (like me), I heard the JH13 and the JH16 with universal tips at the NY meet last week and couldn't wait until today to take advantage of the sale.  I wasn't that impressed, to be honest, with the JH16 - somehow, it just seemed to narrow the spectrum too much for me - i don't wanna say deadened the sound (i was listening off my ipod/sr71a amp) but it seemed, well, kinda flat for want of a better term.  the jh13s, however, just won me over right away - i mean, a clean sound, really balanced - almost reminded me, to an extent, of my hd800s (which i also really love).  yeah, i've read that they can be a little sibilant - at least so revealing that they can be if the recording itself is that way - but (a) i was at a meet, so i couldn't really tell since listening conditions obviously were less than ideal, and (b) frankly, i'm not sure i picked up on that for the 15 minutes or so i was listening to them.   anyway, the die is cast, the deed is done.   but i'll tell you one thing, i won't be wearing them outside anytime soon, that is for ciento porciento (100 percent) sure!

so, from what little i know, i would say that if you're on the fence, just do it.  (for some reason, being locked into the jh-3a amp doesn't do it for me - it kind of defeats the purpose of the IEMs, and also seems to imply that the IEMs, on their own, just don't cut it as well). 

on a completely irrelevant note, since ordering them, i've read as much as i can about the stock cables, etc., and though to read the raves about the TWAG replacement cables (and i've learned to read those kinds of posts with a slight grain of salt) you'd think the stock cable is garbage, i have to ask myself, then why would JH Audio even use such stock cables (and not at least offer "better" ones) if it has pride in what it's doing.  the conclusion i came to is that JH Audio is proud of its product, and it finds the stock cables good enough to showcase their product.  300 dollars for IEM cables, well, ouch - that just seems a little hard to swallow to improve what so many posters have previously called the "perfect" IEMs.  it's one endless merry go around to try to get perfecter and perfecter, and one that i don't think i want to go near.  (PS- i have met the owner of Whiplash Audio, Craig, at one of the meets, and he is a great guy, so this is nothing against him!).  

PS - famous last words - I ordered the TWAG cable yesterday at Craig's sale price... so much for getting off the merry go round (sigh) :)

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #39 of 56
From the info I've gathered the jh 5's are for people listening to iPods... the JH 7's have the extra bass driver because bass sometimes gets washed out live (and the jh 7 is most used for live situations) and the jh 13 is the boradened 5 (more lows, more highs) and the 16 to the 13 is just what the 7 is to the 5. So I would personally go for the 13. And you can always tell your monitor guy if you get 13's and perform live to add more low end.

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #40 of 56

Quote:
From the info I've gathered the jh 5's are for people listening to iPods... the JH 7's have the extra bass driver because bass sometimes gets washed out live (and the jh 7 is most used for live situations) and the jh 13 is the boradened 5 (more lows, more highs) and the 16 to the 13 is just what the 7 is to the 5. So I would personally go for the 13. And you can always tell your monitor guy if you get 13's and perform live to add more low end.

Pretty reasonable assessment, except I'd say that the 5's are warmer, in general, than the 13's...or the 13's are brighter.

The high end on the 13/16's is just outrageous compared to anything else.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #41 of 56
they need to combine the warmness and high end of those two and call it the JH FIVE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #43 of 56
ahaha right back at you 208 made me laugh.
If they combine the highs of the 13 and the warmness of the 5 it would most likely be their best IEM and 5 plus 13 is 18 which is a really appropriate number to name it. 2 higher than 16.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #44 of 56
Got my impressions today and sent them off to JHA.  They probably got slammed by the Black Friday sale, so I'm guessing it'll take a few weeks to get my 16s.  I'm really hoping these will be a big step up from my current favorite IEMs the 535s, in both comfort/fit and sound.  Besides fit issues, my main concern is that the extra bass drivers will make the mids feel recessed, but judging from several reviews this should not be the case.  

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #45 of 56
Mine are "sent out" too but they're not going anywhere until monday :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back