JH Audio & Astell&Kern Siren Series Full Metal Jacket Line Announced!
Dec 20, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #91 of 692
  Totally agree, I'm desperately waiting to see if the old Layla is going to have a price drop.
I find the carbon fibre body so much nicer than the new titanium one. Too shiny for my taste.
Though when you say that Moon Audio builds "quality" cables, I don't know if that's sarcasm.
I bought their top of the line Silver Dragon cable and it may have offered sonic benefits, but the durability is just notorious. 
It was a USB cable too, where I just plugged it into my DAC and left it there, but it broke within a year. 
It can't even recognize my DAC anymore, so back to the stock USB cable I go... 

Hi Calvin,

Welcome to the forum...

Well for my personal tastes... I prefer the "old body style" too and both Jerry and Jude didn't mention any "new and improved tech" in these earpieces.  I will not be purchasing the new Layla myself.  The Layla is simply an incredible earpiece and scales with better equipment.  For example it sounds incredible with the AK 240 better with the AK 380 and steps again with the Cord Hugo, Cord Hugo TT.  For me personally, I will be saving my hard earner cabbage for the Shure KSE-1500.  These are going to be "game changers" 

That said, NO I was not being sarcastic (not really my style of writing) Drew makes good quality cables.  I've purchased the Sliver Dragon V3's for both my Fostex TH 900 and HE-1000's cans that the build quality is fantastic.

Sincerely,
-Speed 

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #92 of 692
I currently have a number of Moon Audio IEM cables - also a RSA to RSA adapter for my clas -db/RxMK3-B+ and never have had an issue with any of them - I like that they don't tangle and can be wrapped easily. Their overmolded connectors have always stayed secure. I have never received a discount on one of their cables, so there is no incentive to state anything other than my experience.

The Silver Widow was a great match for my JH16's. I plan on buying the Black Dragon upgrade cable that was just released for $200 - with no second thoughts or misgivings.

If there are any issues, they will likely become evident as I swap out that cable between Angie, Roxanne & (soon) Rosie 
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #93 of 692
Straight 3.5mm on the new cables, not a big fan of that, but the smaller bass adjust is nice!

Would the metal shells be heavier than the carbon? I would think so unless it's very thin ali. New connectors would be good as I'm having to return my Angies for a replacement as the right keeps cutting out.

That Roxanne with new x-over is very tempting
etysmile.gif
could it be the most full bodied and fun of the group?

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #95 of 692
Dec 20, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #96 of 692
I bought the Angie universals after the London show at the end of Jan earlier this year. Canon/Kevlar casing is excellent quality and I have been using the 2.5mm TRRS cable with my AK120ii since I got them. No issues with the cable, connector or SQ. Seems like only difference will come from Moon Audio construction of cables and not from internals or quality of build.

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #97 of 692
I bought the Angie universals after the London show at the end of Jan earlier this year. Canon/Kevlar casing is excellent quality and I have been using the 2.5mm TRRS cable with my AK120ii since I got them. No issues with the cable, connector or SQ. Seems like only difference will come from Moon Audio construction of cables and not from internals or quality of build.

Yup. basically the same drivers with a machined metal housing and an arguably better cable. I bet the sound difference is marginal at best.

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #98 of 692

Yup. basically the same drivers with a machined metal housing and an arguably better cable. I bet the sound difference is marginal at best.

Agree. BAs do not resonate like a speaker. If they did, every single custom IEM would sound different. However, if the nozzles of the metal housing fit differently in your ear canals versus the carbons, then yes sound may be different. Even there, Jude stated that the nozzles have the same stainless steel tubes as carbons.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #100 of 692
  sweet, I will be keeping my old rox then. By looking at the photos. I prefer the looks of the old rox. 

I like my old roxanne's, but I'm wondering what the new crossover would do to it's sound.  Sometimes I'd eq boost the treble, but recently I haven't had to.  If the crossover really adds to the treble then I'm all for it!  

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #102 of 692
  So is it Layla (or Layla 2) still top of the line or is it Rosie? A bit confused about the naming thing.

Rosie is the bottom.  Base model.  Layla2>Roxanne2>Angie2>Rosie (at least in terms of price).  

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #103 of 692
I purchased my custom Roxanne's 6 months ago - you guys don't think I'm entitled for a free switch to newer crossover design? 1-3 years I can understand.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #104 of 692
Sad to see JH going the A&K/iRiver way. Sometimes when I compare my supposedly better IEMs, like the Layla, SE846, K10 custom, to the "lesser" earphones, such as the XB90EX and Aurisonics 2.5, I just wonder whether the difference is that big. I have done various upgrades throughout these years, and I currently own the Blue Hawaii Special Edition -SR009 system. But in terms of all IEM / headphone upgrades that I had, none of those upgrades could compare to my initial step up from Sony/Apple earbuds to ER4p.

The case is even worse for DAPs - for example, portability is the only thing that AK380 has advantage over the other DAPs / DACs. Is that advantage worth the price difference? I think it depends on how important portability is to you - because every other DAP/DAC/CD player that I heard at that price, or at $1,000 lower (except the AK240), simply beats the crap out of the AK380. Astell & Kern is a nice name. But it's just iRiver inside. I actually liked them when they were iRiver. I can go buy the AK380 without a blink, but the thought of buying this with full knowledge of what I expect to get (i.e. nothing more than bragging rights and an ugly piece of sheet with sound not so different from the iPhone) just deters me to do so, even given that I have bought a fair bit of expensive but rubbish Head-fi products in the past (Ultrasone ED10 being an example). 

I think I will sell my Layla - but not to fund the Layla 2. Instead I may get KSE1500.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #105 of 692
  So is it Layla (or Layla 2) still top of the line or is it Rosie? A bit confused about the naming thing.

Since the other Sirens have their price bumped up $200, Rosie is the new entry-level Siren with 6 drivers (2 bass 2 mids 2 treble) at $899. But it does sound good. JH13 with adjustable bass is the early impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back