JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 5, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #2,836 of 3,122
Loving My Angie II headphones now I've sorted out out which tips to use. The sound with Comply tips was a too muffled for my tastes so I took them off and put them on the wrong way round which was much clearer but again not to my taste. I bought Spin Fits but found the sound to be more punchy but a little bit middy and the top end did not sparkle. In the end I used some AKG silcone tips which were much more rigid then the Spin Fits and created a better seal which in turn provided the punchy bass on the foot drum and a nice deep bass plus a nice clean detailed top end. Has anyone converted from the universal fit to a custom and if so was there much difference in the sound?

I tried a few tips including spin fits which didn’t work for me, I ended with JVC spiral with two mods, but they already worked fine out of the box: a spacer ring 1,5mm because the tips are a bit short for Angie bores and a ring of foam insert for a fantastic isolation and improved secure fit. I posted those with pics somewhere on this thread
My 2 cents

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,837 of 3,122
I just bought myself some custom Angies. I had to post just to release some of my excitement! I will definitely let everyone know my impressions (no pun intended) as an iPhone / Apple Music pleb, and as someone coming from a JH-5 and DT-770 :)

6391D2AF-48F9-4236-A07E-065E6FADD081.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #2,838 of 3,122
I hope you'll be amazed as I was with the realism of drums with Angies.
It is no small feat when using BA to make it sound as good as on 40-50 mm dynamic drivers on full headphones.

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #2,839 of 3,122
I just bought myself some custom Angies. I had to post just to release some of my excitement! I will definitely let everyone know my impressions (no pun intended) as an iPhone / Apple Music pleb, and as someone coming from a JH-5 and DT-770 :)

Welcome on board! You won't be disappointed!

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #2,840 of 3,122
While this thread is showing life-signs: Has anyone come out with an EQ profile for the Angies? I remember way-back-when, someone on the common thread of Layla/Angies was trying to devise an EQ curve. Haven't heard since.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #2,842 of 3,122
I am pairing Angie II now with DX200 amp1 and does not sound good at all to me even though I connect them via Black Dragon 2.5 balanced.
I hope they will sound better with amp3 module.
When I still had the Angies I, I always found them to synergize better with warm sources, because they tend to sound a bit dull with flat sources (especially in the higher mids and treble area), which is not my cup of tea.
DX200 is everything but warm. :frowning2:

I would definitely EQ the treble up with a flat source so you can dynamize the cymbals and higher strings.
But it's my taste, some may prefer flatter output.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,843 of 3,122
When I still had the Angies I, I always found them to synergize better with warm sources, because they tend to sound a bit dull with flat sources (especially in the higher mids and treble area), which is not my cup of tea.
DX200 is everything but warm. :frowning2:

I would definitely EQ the treble up with a flat source so you can dynamize the cymbals and higher strings.
But it's my taste, some may prefer flatter output.

I mostly listen to vocals and it sounds like the singer’s voice being trapped in the middle of the stage. The music notes and vocals are flatted out?

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,844 of 3,122
Well, Angies don't have a wide soundstage, they sound relatively intimate, like you're sitting right next to the band, not in the concert room in front of it.
You can counter that with a source that has a wide soundstage (typically Opus DAPs), but this won't make Angies sound as wide as IE800.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #2,845 of 3,122
Here is my impression about their service!

I bought a second-hand AKxJH Angie v1 from a member here. After 1 month of use, my left ear piece having a weird zzz sound so I contacted JHA repairs center. A guy name Willace told me to send em for diagnostic. I sent em hoping that they could fix it. However, when the diagnostic was done, they said it was the drivers failure (mid and low) and they are no longer carrying this kind of service due to "lack of parts".

"PLEASE NOTE - We are no longer servicing Aerous VX Series, the JH3A, first generation Roxanne universal IEMs, Astell & Kern Carbon Fiber Layla and Kevlar Angie universal IEMs, and Astell & Kern Full Metal Jacket Rosie, AngieII, RoxanneII, and LaylaII universal IEMs. "
This is weird cause I don't think I have seen this note before on their page, or it was just my fault. What I was wondering is if they were not gonna fix this, why would they told me to send it from very first? This makes no sense. I have to pay a lot for delivery(since I live in Canada). Besides, how about the other stores still selling these new AKxJH deal with the warranty? This my first expensive uiem and I'm willing to pay for repair but it just not gonna work that way.

Then, a guy name Rick came to me and offer a deal. They would like to offer me 20% off for any CIEM if I agree they can keep my pair. I feel like this is ridiculous since they are just trying to sell their product.

Yeah and that's what I think about em,kinda disappointed, just my opinion. And to be honest, I don't think this is a good time to buy those Universal iem at any store or aftermarket since they are no longer have service (low life support - 3 ~ 4 years) even it is new or old.

Sorry if my English bad.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,846 of 3,122

I bought a second-hand AKxJH Angie v1 from a member here. After 1 month of use, my left ear piece having a weird zzz sound so I contacted JHA repairs center. A guy name Willace told me to send em for diagnostic. I sent em hoping that they could fix it. However, when the diagnostic was done, they said it was the drivers failure (mid and low) and they are no longer carrying this kind of service due to "lack of parts".

"PLEASE NOTE - We are no longer servicing Aerous VX Series, the JH3A, first generation Roxanne universal IEMs, Astell & Kern Carbon Fiber Layla and Kevlar Angie universal IEMs, and Astell & Kern Full Metal Jacket Rosie, AngieII, RoxanneII, and LaylaII universal IEMs. "
This is weird cause I don't think I have seen this note before on their page, or it was just my fault. What I was wondering is if they were not gonna fix this, why would they told me to send it from very first? This makes no sense. I have to pay a lot for delivery(since I live in Canada). Besides, how about the other stores still selling these new AKxJH deal with the warranty? This my first expensive uiem and I'm willing to pay for repair but it just not gonna work that way.

Then, a guy name Rick came to me and offer a deal. They would like to offer me 20% off for any CIEM if I agree they can keep my pair. I feel like this is ridiculous since they are just trying to sell their product.

Yeah and that's what I think about em,kinda disappointed, just my opinion. And to be honest, I don't think this is a good time to buy those Universal iem at any store or aftermarket since they are no longer have service (low life support - 3 ~ 4 years) even it is new or old.

Sorry if my English bad.
Are you Quebecois, Sir? And for better or worse, JHAudio had bad press on Head-Fi for less than friendly public relations.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #2,847 of 3,122

Sorry if my English bad.
Please try to contact Astell & Kern @JasonNYC instead , they might be able to help you.

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #2,848 of 3,122

Sorry if my English bad.
@Long Vu

Sorry to hear about your issues. Can you please PM me your info and when you sent them to JH? All AK/JH products are normally serviced through us. We should be contacted if there is an issue and then we work directly with JH. I will need to discuss with our customer support team to see next steps since we were never contacted and you went through JH directly.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 3, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #2,850 of 3,122
Not at all. The Angie's sound signature does not sport an enhanced sibilance region. Audiophiles may be appalled by this (because they usually don't listen to music), but I'd go as far to say Angie sounds smooth in the upper regions. In the sense of being linear and far extending, but not particularly articulate or enhanced.

If you have issues with sibilance, it's the recording's fault.
Ya, I recently bought lots of high quality musics at HDTRACKS and Angie sounds beautiful without any sibilance! Thanks mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back