JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,746 of 3,122
AK's closeout sale has Angie 1's at $800.

That's a $600 price differential between the $1400 Angie II's.
Is that price 'good' value for a 2.5 year old ~8 BA universal iem, or would you look at other models?

I recently, like earlier this year, bought a 2nd hand pair of Angie 1's and they're in great condition. If no one's used them I would call that a great bargain!

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,747 of 3,122
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #2,749 of 3,122
Yes, the listing is directly from Astell&Kern's North America store's closeout sale.

Understood, and thank you!
Despite the plethora of choice in the iem market relative to three years ago, the Angie's seem to be a pillar of many collections. "Classics", so to say.

The Angie's are a pleasure to have if I have to say so myself, the sad thing about them is the fit tends to be problematic. I'm actually considering getting a pair of customs in the future.

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,750 of 3,122
The Angie's are a pleasure to have if I have to say so myself, the sad thing about them is the fit tends to be problematic. I'm actually considering getting a pair of customs in the future.
+1

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #2,753 of 3,122
-1 = +2!!!

I understand you guys, I was lucky they fit great in my ears. But most of people that try it it doesn't.

So to be fair, +2 - (-1) +0 = still +3!!! LOL ...

Regards

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #2,754 of 3,122
+4.

800 bucks is a good price for that

Btw. I used to listen with the bass attenuation at 14:30. Was missing some upper mid detail in comparison with my Lyra IIs though, so I dialed back the bass to 13:30 and suddenly separation and mid-/treble detail greatly improved. Anyone else noticed that? Maybe some acoustic interferences in my ear channels

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #2,755 of 3,122
+4.

Btw. I used to listen with the bass attenuation at 14:30. Was missing some upper mid detail in comparison with my Lyra IIs though, so I dialed back the bass to 13:30 and suddenly separation and mid-/treble detail greatly improved. Anyone else noticed that? Maybe some acoustic interferences in my ear channels

I think at a certain point the bass attenuation you'll start hearing the bass bleed over the mid-range, at least that's based from the times trying to adjust the bass pots. I currently have mine at 13:30 as well which seems to sweet spot for me because anything more than that makes it sounds muddy and anything less than that makes it sound too lean. YMMV

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #2,757 of 3,122
+4.

I used to set to 13:30 until I went and bought a silver dragon. Now I go to about 15:00.

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,758 of 3,122
grats angie is one of the most soulful and romantic iem.

If it helps, +2.

-1 = +2!!!

I understand you guys, I was lucky they fit great in my ears. But most of people that try it it doesn't.
So to be fair, +2 - (-1) +0 = still +3!!! LOL ...

Regards

+4.

Thank you all!
Ordered, and on its way.

Spoke to Charles, owner of Toronto's HeadFoneShop.
Although he only had mk II in stock, he asked me to visit to get a feel for sound and (the slightly smaller) fit.
Enjoyed the sound, fit, and understand what gunwale meant by being "one of the most soulful and romantic iem's around".

Also contacted Perfect Seal Labs asking if the reshell service is applicable to Universal JHaudio Angie.
Their reply: "4pin starts at $300".

Good.

Although would hate to destroy that gorgeous woven shell, I've done much worse to carbon fibre before :p.
Stepping up from a half a decade with a Shure 535's, these Angie's will be a first foray into the IEM bigger leagues, and possibly transformed into a first set of customs.

At ~$1100, a suitable intro into the CIEM game.

And thank you all for the warm welcome!

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,759 of 3,122
I just ripped the memory wire out of my stock balanced Angie cable and the fit is so much better now.
It's for the first time really comfy now. Also with a shirt clip I'm in Angie fit heaven now. BAM.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,760 of 3,122
And also after trying maybe 50 different silicone tips the best ones for comfort are the Audeo silicones. Comfort now is as good as any iem, with a shirt clip holding up the weight of the wire.
Also I had to put in a cut piece of a silicone tip on before the Audeo tip to act as a spacer. So that the shell of the Angie was is about 4mm further away.
If you have any Audeo silicone tips in your third drawer down then give them a try with the Angies.

Edit: and rip out that damn memory wire! In my case it caused all kinds of fit issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back