JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 26, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,716 of 3,122
Just wanted to jump in here and say I`ve joined team Angie. I`ve been a dedicated IE800 owner for years and honestly wouldn`t believe that anything could match them for overall sound and soundstage. On a whim, I started reading this thread and having an urge to test my "Nothing could be better" belief, I treated myself to the Angie`s for my birthday.

I`'ve had them now for 24 hours. OH MY! I`m at a whole new level of loving my music. And quite honestly, that's the biggest compliment I can give to these. I haven't heard this amount of quality, ever. I've adjusted to about 2:15 to 2:30 on the dials, my sweet spot, and the bass is just low and solid. Mids are breath taking, and the highs are perfect for me. And the space in the instrumentation of everything I listen to. Wow! Soundstage is perfection as well.

I'm using the balanced cable out of the FIIO X7, X5 3rd gen, and SE out of my mojo. The mojo bass had to be adjusted slightly, but very beautiful. Have the stock foam tips on currently, and waiting for some Comply to arrive today.

Anyways, thank you to everyone in the thread for providing enough detail to push towards these. I'm seriously in listening heaven with these.

P.S. I grabbed the v1 special editions off Amazon. If I had known these were this good, I wouldn't have balked at a higher price.

I have had the same set up but I got Onkyo DP-X1 instead of X7. I like very much the Angie v2 performance with DP-X1 and X5 III and plan to get the Black Dragon v2 for more detailed and smooth treble...

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,717 of 3,122
I have had the same set up but I got Onkyo DP-X1 instead of X7. I like very much the Angie v2 performance with DP-X1 and X5 III and plan to get the Black Dragon v2 for more detailed and smooth treble...
I'm wondering how big the improvement would be if upgrading to Black Dragon or Silver Dragon? The stock cable is also made by Moon Audio if I remember correctly.

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,718 of 3,122
I'm wondering how big the improvement would be if upgrading to Black Dragon or Silver Dragon? The stock cable is also made by Moon Audio if I remember correctly.
I upgraded from original Angie cable to silver dragon. The highs were opened up quite a bit. Clearer. I ended up turning the bass up from 1:00 to between 2:30 and 3:00. A bigger clearer sound.
Maybe @olddude might drop in, as he also has a SD, if I recall.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,720 of 3,122
I upgraded from original Angie cable to silver dragon. The highs were opened up quite a bit. Clearer. I ended up turning the bass up from 1:00 to between 2:30 and 3:00. A bigger clearer sound.
Maybe @olddude might drop in, as he also has a SD, if I recall.
Thanks for your input!
I'm quite happy with the sound of my Angie. I might as well upgrade the cable if the improvement of Black Dragon or Silver Dragon could justify the price.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,721 of 3,122
What I have read about the Black Daragon v2 adds more details and tight bass. It seems like lots of people are raving about it.
I'm not sure if anyone directly compared Black Dragon to Silver Dragon, is Silver Dragon superior to Black Dragon in every way or just different flavors?

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #2,723 of 3,122
Today i just randomly auditioned an angie and wow... i really like the sub bass and sweet mid.

The highs were a bit recessive and needs a little more sparkle for my taste. (will the silver moon cable fix it?)

I tried lola but it sounded a little weird for me.

It sounded unnatural with some harmonics problem (unequal loudness in some frequency bands?) and the position of the instruments sounded weird... (probably not used to hybrids)

I tried a UE and it was too flat.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #2,724 of 3,122
Today i just randomly auditioned an angie and wow... i really like the sub bass and sweet mid.

The highs were a bit recessive and needs a little more sparkle for my taste. (will the silver moon cable fix it?)

It sounded unnatural with some harmonics problem (unequal loudness in some frequency bands?) and the position of the instruments sounded weird... (probably not used to hybrids)

Yes. I found the SD opened up the highs to some extent. I found I had to turn up the bass a bit.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,725 of 3,122

I have heard Black Dragon v2 would open up the high with details but keep sweet mid and bass.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,727 of 3,122
If the highs aren't fantastic with Angie imho it's more likely your source letting it down than the stock balanced cable.
I use both a Questyle QP1R, and a Chord Hugo(1). Those sources tend toward brightness, and I still found the Angies benefited from an aftermarket cable. I didn't try the Black Dragon, so can't confirm its benefits. But the Silver Dragon was a definite improvement in the highs. Considering the treble BA in the Angies were designed to reach much higher frequencies than your average BA, (I think up to 20kHz), there should be room for improvement. With what source are you trying them?

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,728 of 3,122
I really like the Black Dragon V2 with my Angie II as it matches my taste for good treble.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #2,730 of 3,122
What source(s) are you using with Black Dragon v2? I will order BDv2 balanced 2.5mm TRRS to use with DP-X1 and Fiio X5 III for now.

A Questyle QP1R is the only source that I use with it. I use headphones with my desktop rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back