JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,671 of 3,122
Anyone tried the new spinfit dual flange on the Angies?

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/spinfit-cp230-in-ear-earphones-patented-silicone-eartip-1-pair.html

Wondering about size.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,672 of 3,122
Hoping for some opinions.

Back in 2011, my main combo was a Cowon J3 and Westone ES5s.
They were a great musical and engaging combo.

Then I sort of sold all my gear and went on hiatus, until recently.

I now have a second hand pair of Angies (using Spinfits) and a Pioneer 300R.
But I think deep down I still long for sound from the ES5s and I was probably spoiled by the EQ on the Cowon.
The Angies are more clear, analytical, wider soundstage, and better separation but I feel they just aren't as engaging and fun.
They are less forgiving of sub-par recordings and seem a little flatter.

Would they benefit from an amp or different cabling to "tune" the character a bit?
Or should I just sell and get something else?

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,673 of 3,122

But I think deep down I still long for sound from the ES5s and I was probably spoiled by the EQ on the Cowon.
The Angies are more clear, analytical, wider soundstage, and better separation but I feel they just aren't as engaging and fun.

Would they benefit from an amp or different cabling to "tune" the character a bit?

Honestly, get one of the new cowon plenue line. I have the M2 with my Angie CIEM and it's sublime. Musical, deep bass, perfect highs and forward mids. That's using the jeffect eq. The M2 is best value or a second hand M for like half price.

I also have the black dragon v2, no big sound improvement over standard cable but thinner and more durable.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,675 of 3,122

I found that they improved with cable change.  I got the silver dragon.  More flexible and exploits those new high frequency BAs.  I find it quite fun with my QP1R or Hugo.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #2,676 of 3,122
Honestly, get one of the new cowon plenue line. I have the M2 with my Angie CIEM and it's sublime. Musical, deep bass, perfect highs and forward mids. That's using the jeffect eq. The M2 is best value or a second hand M for like half price.

I also have the black dragon v2, no big sound improvement over standard cable but thinner and more durable.

I will try to locate a newer Cowon DAP and have a listen. That being said, the Angie's still sound pretty good straight out of my J3.

I found that they improved with cable change.  I got the silver dragon.  More flexible and exploits those new high frequency BAs.  I find it quite fun with my QP1R or Hugo.

I have an 8 wire budget silver cable without bass adjusters on the way for the Angie's. Hopefully it enhances the sound and the bass being stuck at 100% won't be overwhelming.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,677 of 3,122

I will try to locate a newer Cowon DAP and have a listen. That being said, the Angie's still sound pretty good straight out of my J3.

I have an 8 wire budget silver cable without bass adjusters on the way for the Angie's. Hopefully it enhances the sound and the bass being stuck at 100% won't be overwhelming.

I think you'll be all right with that.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #2,678 of 3,122
Hey Angie lovers,
Could you please share experiences about the Angie+Mojo combo?
Currently I listen to k3003 with the Mojo but planning to purchase the Angies (thanks to your useful feedbacks here).
Will the Mojo work fine with the Angies or should I upgrade?
Source is Iphone with Tidal.
Thanks for your hints!

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #2,679 of 3,122
Hey Angie lovers,
Could you please share experiences about the Angie+Mojo combo?
Currently I listen to k3003 with the Mojo but planning to purchase the Angies (thanks to your useful feedbacks here).
Will the Mojo work fine with the Angies or should I upgrade?
Source is Iphone with Tidal.
Thanks for your hints!

I found the Angie Mojo pairing to be a great match, one of the best for my tastes out of all my gear. Yes, the pair works fine, IMO.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #2,680 of 3,122
Mojo works great. I run my Angies with the bass around noon, maybe a wee bit less. Sounds great.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,681 of 3,122
Thanks guys for your replies!
Another question before I pull the trigger.
I read about several qc issues about the Angies but not about long term reliability.
I plan to buy a pre owned one which is about half ayear old. So no qc issues everything is ok with it.
Should I worry about the reliability indeed?
Asking it cause I don't have an AD in my country so warranty issues could be hard to solve.
Thanks again!

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #2,682 of 3,122
Mine seems solid and reliable. I've only had them about 6 months but they got quite a lot of use on the commute from Glasgow to London.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #2,683 of 3,122
Hello,

I just got a used Angie II and have never known that they are so huge (the biggest IEMs I have ever had) and heavy. My ear canals are in medium size. The Angie II are matched very well with Fiio 5X IlI and the SQ is so good to my taste especially midrange and subbass...The question is to take advantage to the better sound I would like to ask what kind of tips are you using? Thank you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2,684 of 3,122
Hello,

I just got a used Angie II and have never known that they are so huge (the biggest IEMs I have ever had) and heavy. My ear canals are in medium size. The Angie II are matched very well with Fiio 5X IlI and the SQ is so good to my taste especially midrange and subbass...The question is to take advantage to the better sound I would like to ask what kind of tips are you using? Thank you.

Hi, congratulations for your purchase!!!

I tried several tips and the ones I liked more are the JVC spiral dots, stock items are good too IMO (didn't like the spinfits). Lately I made an experiment mixing foam with the spinfits that worked fantastically for me, great isolation and fit with the extra that those tips don't slip out of the bore anymore - check a few threads above...

My 2 cents
Regards

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,685 of 3,122
Thanks guys for your replies!
Another question before I pull the trigger.
I read about several qc issues about the Angies but not about long term reliability.
I plan to buy a pre owned one which is about half ayear old. So no qc issues everything is ok with it.
Should I worry about the reliability indeed?
Asking it cause I don't have an AD in my country so warranty issues could be hard to solve.
Thanks again!

I believe I'll have had my Angies for almost two years with no problems.  I mistook a reliability issue for a bit of eargunk in one of the small bores.
As for the other question about tips: I use the spinfits now, large in the right and medium in the left.  I prefer the JVCs, but they would slide off the tube too easily, either getting lost somewhere, or still in my ear.  Both tips have their strengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back