JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #1,396 of 3,122
Tapping on your IEM and listening to its percussive reverberation is not a legitimate test of quality.

How do they sound with music playing, and without you tapping on them?
wink.gif

The fact that it reverberated or not wasn't a concern. The concern was that it happened on one side but not the other. That implies something _may_ be wrong.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #1,397 of 3,122
The fact that it reverberated or not wasn't a concern. The concern was that it happened on one side but not the other. That implies something _may_ be wrong.

Correct. They sound fine. No different then the other two pairs. With music playing you can't really hear it when tapping on it. It's when the music is off.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #1,399 of 3,122
A hollow sound is an indication that the IEM is hollow. It has no drivers inside. Since we know that's not true, this test is an indication of nothing except you enjoy tapping on things.

You paid for them, you can do what you like. I would advice against it, though. You don't want to dislodge a driver.

There are many factors that change the percussive quality of a thing: Exactly where you strike it, how much of your ear makes contact with the surface of the IEM, the exact orientation of the nozzle in relation to your canal...

It really is a useless test.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #1,400 of 3,122
A hollow sound is an indication that the IEM is hollow. It has no drivers inside. Since we know that's not true, this test is an indication of nothing except you enjoy tapping on things.

You paid for them, you can do what you like. I would advice against it, though. You don't want to dislodge a driver.

There are many factors that change the percussive quality of a thing: Exactly where you strike it, how much of your ear makes contact with the surface of the IEM, the exact orientation of the nozzle in relation to your canal...

It really is a useless test.

Yes it is a useless test. No I don't want to return them again but for $1100 I just expect perfection. After further review though i think it's microphonics. If I tap the cable it makes the same sound. I've swapped all three cables I have and it does it with all of them.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #1,401 of 3,122
There is nothing made by man that can ever be perfect. You are paying for quality, not perfection. Hopefully, the thing you buy is better than less expensive options, but that's not always the case, is it? With Angie, I feel it is.

No matter how much you want perfection, you cannot have it. Not at $1,000, not at $1,000,000. Not ever.

What you have every right to demand is that the thing you buy works, and works well.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #1,403 of 3,122
Just received my third set of Angie. The headphone connectors are secure, no wobble at all. Build quality looked fine but when I tap on ththe right ear piece it sounds hollow. Is this cause for concern?

FWIW, I have OCD and tested them out too. Yes the right earpiece sounds more resonant than the left. Does it imply it's hollower? I don't know, I don't think so. It's not really a dependable test, just to satisfy my OCD haha. That got me thinking about driver placement, a relatively large shell size, am I thudding them both with the same velocity. angle and placement since I'm doing them with two different hands... going on a tangent here. The more important part is the fit is equal on both ears and the sound is equal on both channels. Maybe I'm lucky. Then I forget all that and just enjoy the music. Then I fall asleep and turn to the side and eh, I can't do that. These girls are a bit large. Grumble grumble. 
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #1,404 of 3,122

At year's end, Angie bought a headset types from China.

Unfortunately, the nozzle was crushed, the other is cracked when it pulled off the Comply is why I had to fix it (China is far away, the replacement procedure is very complicated, and in Hungary there is no chance for any).
The remaining nozzle sections filled out a flexible resin. Let me note here that everyone be careful with the universal Angie nozzle, because the construction quality is not perfect.
The interior is partially filled with a liquid, it significantly weakens the holding. The silicium tube ends also are sharp and had to carefully place a silicone tube body is located.
The echo (hollow sound - an error reported by others) can also be traced back to this in my opinion. I also heard on the left, this coulter compensated thin rubber material has since been echoed n inches. Moreover, the metallic surface of the echo likely mismatch within the body.
Stereo - The Angie is very sensitive to the software, so harsh if not properly set against footage. In addition, I will only custom tip perfect sound, because of the disparity between the two ears but they can be compensated.

If you are forced to universal tip was used, then the advice is to Comply because the silicone tip block out some of the sound endings, so sometimes the resulting sound will be muted.
Comply slightly numb about the same as a custom tip, but if you extend slightly rubbery material the drill pipe, you can access the appropriate tone and to some extent compensated for the difference between the two ears, the different degrees of stretching.

Otherwise, the voice tells Angie. So far some ear (Westone, W30, W40, W60) does not offer the quality of music as a young lady, it is very far from the tone of the ancestors.
Bass energy really think is perfect between 14-15 hours. Mid-Range is not forward, but very sensitive and natural. The treble is fabulous, so far only heard Headphones such a high-quality range.

Sorry for my english...

I wish you all good listening!

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #1,405 of 3,122
Angie's wave-guide tubes are stainless steel. Is it possible you bought fakes? Knock-offs?

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,408 of 3,122
Is the Angie considered more *fun* and engaging than the se846, 

I had an 846.  The Angie is, to my ears, head and shoulders above it.  Much better trebles, not as overpowering a bass, great mids.  I sold my 846 and haven't missed it at all.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #1,409 of 3,122
Is the Angie considered more *fun* and engaging than the se846, anyone paired the Angie with mojo?

I have se846, and looking for something more fun, Is Angie a good choice?

i recommend you try the angies if you can because your preference might be different to others..

but for me as i love se846, i think it is more of a side grade if i can say so, and both are fun and engaging in there own way,

For me i have never heard bass and mids better than se846, bass rumbles with a woofering effect and the mids are lush intimate and sweet,

Bass and mids on the angies are not far behind, bass is tight and punchy of high quality, mids are nice and crystal clear.

sound stage and treble is where i find the angie way better, any strings just sounds amazing and the air around instruments is fabulous.

i think the sound across the spectrum is better and more complete on the angies.

Both look awesome to me, with the shure more comfortable to me since my ear canal is small (but still the angies are not annoying to me)

Thats my opinion

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,410 of 3,122
I just got my Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 Balanced for AK cable for my Angies.  You'd have to be deaf not to immediately hear the improvement over the stock balanced cable.  The detail in bass, mids and treble is increased.  A lot.  What was apparent was all of the little bits of sound around the main sounds- a plucked guitar string has resonances/vibrations around the actual sound, and those are now MUCH clearer.  Everything is cleaner/brighter/heavier at the same time.  Vocals seem a bit more forward.  Bass seems more defined while at the same time being stronger (in a great way).  Mids are lush without being syrupy.  Trebles- oh my god the trebles.  It really improves the balance of the Angies, which were already well-balanced.

If I'm gushing it's because these things are really good.  I had the Silver Dragons in balanced for my Pono, but it was hard to tease apart what improvement was the balanced and what part was the cable.  With the Black Dragon I don't have that issue- I can tell what is going on and it is awe-inspiring.  If you don't believe a cable can make a difference these will make up your mind that they can in a hurry.

They came with the bass pots all the way up.  I tried them that way, and they were much better than the stock cable that way.  I then turned them down to 2pm, which is where I had the stock balanced cable.  Seemed not quite enough, so they are now a bit past 2pm.  Listening volume is about the same, no big changes there, though I keep turning it up a bit just because it sounds so good.  The cable is a bit thinner than the stock cable, and the bass pots are recessed so you don't accidentally move them.  I'm still playing with the memory wire, have to get it just right (I wear glasses).  

They shipped these when they got my order, and with Fed Ex- I paid for 2-day- they came in... 2 days.  Not much waiting time at all.  A bit pricey at $200 (free regular shipping) but they make a giant difference in an already great iem.  I've listened to 12-15 songs (jumping around) since I got them, and everything sounds great (16/44 and 24/x).   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back