JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 4, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #1,381 of 3,122
No idea.  If you are using silicon tips and the seal is not good that might affect things.  If you have the bass turned all the way done it may affect things (though I doubt it).  Try using the Comply tips if you are not already doing so.  I have no recessed vocals and I have absolutely no sibilance.  Your Fiio, with the Angie plugged into the headphone jack, should sound fine.  Go back to basics, take the amp out of the equation, put in a good track in lossless that you know was well-mastered and listen to it directly from the headphone out.  Make sure your EQ is OFF.  If things sound fine that way, try plugging in the amp and trying again.  Make sure your gain is in LOW.  

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,382 of 3,122
Check to make sure the nozzle is clean of any earwax. That can attenuate certain frequencies and cause all sorts of distortion.

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,383 of 3,122

It seems to happen for most songs I have with vocals, I havnt had this issue with any other semi-decent IEM ive listened to, or speaker or headphone, vocals seem significantly recessed I can't get over it . The 'S' hiss happens anytime theres an 'S' in any song. I've listened to some of the same music on different headphones and studio monitors which I would believe to be more neutral and revealing than Angies, but alot of songs just seem to just sound 'bad' and unbalanced with the Angies (seems to happen moreso with certain types/genres of music). I also can't raise the volume to the level I want without it feeling kindof harsh.

I'm hoping there's just something wrong with my Angies and I can send them in for repair, otherwise the only explanation would be that the Angies sound isn't for me :frowning2: 

What headphones are they? If they still sound off to you after the above suggestions, won't hurt to contact your dealer.

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #1,384 of 3,122

What headphones are they? If they still sound off to you after the above suggestions, won't hurt to contact your dealer.

Uhhh- Angies. 
smile.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #1,385 of 3,122
  I just google'd what sibilance is, and it seems to be describing exactly that 'S' hiss, so yes I am hearing more sibilance with the Angies than anything I've ever listened to music from before.. as you guys seem to find Angies having very low sibilance, do you think something may be wrong with my pair of Angies?

I currently use Fiio X5ii> E12a, and MBP, with most of my music ranging between 320 MP3 and lossless 

The Angies are not sibilant, something's not right here. I'd suggest using the same source with the Angie and another earphone to make sure the source file or player/amp is not causing it. If you still only hear the sibilance with the Angie, might be worth contacting your dealer

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,386 of 3,122
How about a majority will eventually have issues :). I'm really not trying to hate on the Angie's. They are by far the best sounding iem that I've heard. I would still have them if the two pairs I had weren't defective. As soon as you start getting a little play at the connecter where it can shift side to side or start to move up and down, the audio will eventually start cutting out with any sort of movement.

They ended up getting more stock before they received my return, so I asked them for one last exchange. They should be here tomorrow. Here's hoping the thirds time a charm!

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,387 of 3,122

Uhhh- Angies. 
smile.gif

Haha dude, I should've bolded what I was referring to. Wondering if his other headphones/studio monitors are as detail-oriented as the Angies or not.
beerchug.gif

Originally Posted by cheep
The 'S' hiss happens anytime theres an 'S' in any song. I've listened to some of the same music on different headphones and studio monitors which I would believe to be more neutral and revealing than Angies, but alot of songs just seem to just sound 'bad' and unbalanced with the Angies (seems to happen moreso with certain types/genres of music).

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,389 of 3,122

Haha dude, I should've bolded what I was referring to. Wondering if his other headphones/studio monitors are as detail-oriented as the Angies or not.
beerchug.gif

I came from Etymotic IEMs before Angies (was using ATH-M50x primarily before the Etys), and Adam A5X studio monitors
I can hear alot of things in the Angies, its just not how I want to hear them.. they sound beautiful in some ways but unbearable in others.. the airiness imaging and soundstage are very impressive, but in comparison to the Etys and Adams I feel like they are not balanced, the vocals very laid back and other sounds much more forward/laid back than others in a way that's really bothering me and can't seem to be fixed with EQ.. I don't really know how to explain this but when I do direct comparisons they sound kind of 'muffled', the sound on the Angies seems 'thicker' and not as 'clean'
I did more listening since last night, the sibilance is definitely there.. I've never even noticed sibilance before, most 'sh' and some 'ff' and 'ss' sounds have hiss with the Angies

Next time I visit the store I'll do a comparison to the demo Angies, hopefully my set will sound 'off' in comparison, I find it hard to imagine noone else here complaining if they're hearing what I'm hearing for such a highly appraised TOTL IEM, or maybe this is just a sound signature which you all like but is not for me and I made a very expensive mistake 
devil_face.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,390 of 3,122
Something really does seem off to me. No part of your description resembles the Angie I know and love. Especially the sibilance. And muffled? Holy god no! Clear as a bell.

Are you sure the cable is secured properly to the IEM?

Are the tips right for you? Are they making a good seal?

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,393 of 3,122
Interesting, I noticed when I tested the universal Angies myself the left piece had some sort of resonance if I tapped on it. When I tapped on right ear piece in my ear it was solid, no sound. But when I tapped on left ear piece I almost got a tuning fork effect. Felt more hollow.

Just received my third set of Angie. The headphone connectors are secure, no wobble at all. Build quality looked fine but when I tap on ththe right ear piece it sounds hollow. Is this cause for concern?

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #1,394 of 3,122
Just received my third set of Angie. The headphone connectors are secure, no wobble at all. Build quality looked fine but when I tap on ththe right ear piece it sounds hollow. Is this cause for concern?

I didn't notice any issues when I was demoing them. It's possible this is normal and the difference is just unveiling a difference in fit between the two ears? My left ear canal is definitely tighter than my right. I never tried figuring out if there was a difference in their "hollowness" when not wearing them so hard to say.

Anyone else experience what MxChino and I have experienced?

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #1,395 of 3,122
Tapping on your IEM and listening to its percussive reverberation is not a legitimate test of quality.

How do they sound with music playing, and without you tapping on them? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back