JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #706 of 3,122

As a happy owner of the 13s, do you think getting the Angies as well would be too similar? I've never had the chance to test the Angies out bcos get this... even the demo units were sold out where I'm from.

They're not similar.  The bass is tighter and hotter, at least the way I set it.  The treble is more extended and they sound more alive.  If I were looking for a portable mixing tool, I'd take the 13s in a heartbeat (although I've heard remarkable things about the UE Reference IEMs...).  For listening, IMHO Angie FOR MY TASTE blows away the JH 13.  As someone who walks into high end music studios and hears top live sound systems on a fairly regular basis, I don't remember the last time a monitor made me draw a sharp breath.  Listening to the opening guitar on Pink Floyd's "Hey You" struck me viscerally.  It was a memorable event.  All the other monitors were good, and of those, JH 13 was my clear favorite.  

Angie, however, blew me away.  I listened to a bunch of other stuff on them, from a couple of audio sources, but after a while, I just figured I was listening just to listen, and that initial reaction was really all I needed to know, so I pulled the trigger with confidence.  I've chosen all the gear I use in my career as a performing musician by the same metric, and it hasn't let me down.  Given that the IEM is something that won't be translated to my audience at all, the only consideration I had was, "Do I like it best," so I took the one that really rocked my world.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #707 of 3,122
...........  Listening to the opening guitar on Pink Floyd's "Hey You" struck me viscerally ...........

I had the same reaction to the same song. :)

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #708 of 3,122
I had the same reaction to the same song.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good taste!

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #710 of 3,122
Just posted some comparisons between Angie and Layla in the 'JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV' thread, felt more appropriate to post there since it involves both iems but thought it might be useful for people in this thread too :)

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #711 of 3,122
Oct 15, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #712 of 3,122
The new Chord MoJo with the Angie.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #714 of 3,122
Holy Moses the Layla is huge :l

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #716 of 3,122

As a happy owner of the 13s, do you think getting the Angies as well would be too similar? I've never had the chance to test the Angies out bcos get this... even the demo units were sold out where I'm from.

It's personal so you'll need to listen but here's my take with admittedly only short listens to the Angie. Check the 1st page of this thread and you'll see my initial take after a few minutes listen. You'll see I got it right and instantly preferred it to Laylas on DAPs.

With stock cables, I prefer the Angie but if you put a standard Whiplash TWAG V3 cable on your JH13fps, it's hard to beat beyond personal preferences. If you try the TWAG, give it a couple hundred hours to run it before coming to a conclusion. Gives it more apparent extension and harmonic structure like the the Sirens plus more with more space between notes. Angie is a bit more midcentric but both are effectively correct with the 13 having a slight raise of the lower bass. The twag doesn't decrease the lower bass, in fact it may be more apparent as the mids clear out once run in. Its not a very 'silver' sounding cable once settled.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #717 of 3,122

As a happy owner of the 13s, do you think getting the Angies as well would be too similar? I've never had the chance to test the Angies out bcos get this... even the demo units were sold out where I'm from.

It's personal so you'll need to listen but here's my take with admittedly only short listens to the Angie. Check the 1st page of this thread and you'll see my initial take after a few minutes listen. You'll see I got it right and instantly preferred it to Laylas on DAPs.

With stock cables, I prefer the Angie but if you put a standard Whiplash TWAG V3 cable on your JH13fps, it's hard to beat beyond personal preferences. If you try the TWAG, give it a couple hundred hours to run it before coming to a conclusion. Gives it more apparent extension and harmonic structure like the the Sirens plus more with more space between notes. Angie is a bit more midcentric but both are effectively correct with the 13 having a slight raise of the lower bass. The twag doesn't decrease the lower bass, in fact it may be more apparent as the mids clear out once run in. Its not a very 'silver' sounding cable once settled.

Do you know if there's a silver cable for the Angies?  I'm not sure I really need one, but just in case of cable failure, it might be an option.  I did like what the silver litz did for the 846s.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #718 of 3,122
No idea and cables are a bit of horses for courses. I've had better luck with normal cables configs vs litz on the 13. The TWAG is a very high strand count pure silver and it's the best I've tried out of a dozen or so on the JH13fp. Next best was a cheap hybrid cable that kept breaking. They all sounded different but beyond those 2, stock was overall as good or better than the others. The cable supplied with the Angies seems to already be an upgrade from what comes on the 13 and probably voiced in so I'd probably leave it be.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #719 of 3,122
Um, yeah.... these are really, really good. (bass at 2 o'clock today)

About cables - I am quite amazed at the supple nature of the cables that came with Angie. When all I knew was what I saw in pictures, I imagines a stiff, thick, pain in the ... but I was wrong. It is a great cable.

As for aftermarket - there are a few on the FS threads - so they re out there - a bit expensive since they have proprietary connectors and the extra bass control - so I have essentially left it alone - if I want something different, I go balanced.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #720 of 3,122
  Um, yeah.... these are really, really good. (bass at 2 o'clock today)

About cables - I am quite amazed at the supple nature of the cables that came with Angie. When all I knew was what I saw in pictures, I imagines a stiff, thick, pain in the ... but I was wrong. It is a great cable.

As for aftermarket - there are a few on the FS threads - so they re out there - a bit expensive since they have proprietary connectors and the extra bass control - so I have essentially left it alone - if I want something different, I go balanced.

Agreed. The cables are nicer than they appear. I also use bass at 2:00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back