JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #601 of 3,122
Halfway through a song then change from balanced to balanced and changing back to back for 2 hours, well my files are a mix of 24bit flac to 320kbps mp3 as the lowest end. Should i go even higher?

Relic's suggestion was that you were listening to poorly mastered music, not low bitrate files. This could be the case, but I think it's something else.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #602 of 3,122
Halfway through a song then change from balanced to balanced and changing back to back for 2 hours, well my files are a mix of 24bit flac to 320kbps mp3 as the lowest end. Should i go even higher?

No no no, it's just that with the Angie (this is an Angie thread) and the AK120ii balanced, you may be hearing poorly mastered music easier (which I doubt) or poor conversion/compression artifacts (which I doubt). Just taking a shot in the dark here because the pieces don't really add up.

Perhaps you just aren't used to the difference. I suggest lowering the volume a bit with balanced (slightly higher output - 2.3V vs 2.1V) and listen that way exclusively for a little while. Then go back to single ended and see if you still prefer it.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #603 of 3,122
I too considered it was simply a matter of hearing something he wasn't used to. The reason I don't believe that's the case is he said Balanced sounded less clear. No amount of hearing bias ought to cause that.

Liking or disliking something is subjective. I can conceive of a human who won't like the transcendent clarity of AK120ii>Balanced-out>Angie. But to hear it as less clear... I can't accept that. :D

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #604 of 3,122
Bit the bullet and bought the ak120ii, the funny thing is hearing it balanced on angie sounds worse than through the normal 3.5mm jack.. Makes the treble more sibilant and decreases the clarity.. Anybody feels the same or is it just me? And both my cables for balanced and non balanced are the stock JH cables

I too considered it was simply a matter of hearing something he wasn't used to. The reason I don't believe that's the case is he said Balanced sounded less clear. No amount of hearing bias ought to cause that.

Liking or disliking something is subjective. I can conceive of a human who won't like the transcendent clarity of AK120ii>Balanced-out>Angie. But to hear it as less clear... I can't accept that. :D

I read too much treble (sibilance) resulting perhaps in a perceived recess in mids / upper-mids (the clarity). The original post wasn't exactly clear on the matter so I'm again taking a shot in the dark.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #605 of 3,122
You may be right. I don't mean to discourage you. Just making conversation. :)

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #606 of 3,122
You may be right. I don't mean to discourage you. Just making conversation. :)

What? No discouragement.... Haha! No worries. It's an interesting issue hopefully holmieSG can report back.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #608 of 3,122
Thanks for the input guys, will buy some hi res tracks and A/b again before proceeding for an RMA

And yes the clarity did drop, it sounds muffled like the sound passing through some filter, but will give it more time

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #609 of 3,122
Startips, pushed all the way in. No more tip-rolling for me. Excellent comfort seal and sound.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #610 of 3,122
Startips, pushed all the way in. No more tip-rolling for me. Excellent comfort seal and sound.

What size star tip? I use large and they are just too long to be able to push them that far in.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #611 of 3,122
How do you get those on the nozzle? I gave up trying.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #613 of 3,122
This is the medium, grey tip. It was a struggle, initially. Pull the outer tip inside out and insert only holding the stem.

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #614 of 3,122
This is the medium, grey tip. It was a struggle, initially. Pull the outer tip inside out and insert only holding the stem.

I could get it on the nozzle, but I couldnt get it to the end as you did.

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #615 of 3,122

The dimensions don't work.

I thought getting Sony tips on the ATH-IM03 was hard, this is impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back