JH Audio 16 Pro in-ear headphone, worth $1,149?
May 20, 2010 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sonic 748i

VoLTaG3 re-registered
" The JH16 has more bass than the JH13, and when I'm listening at home I prefer the JH13's smoother bass balance. On the NYC subway I prefer the JH16; there the extra bass sounds better, maybe because it's easier to hear what's going on in the bass. I loved the way JH16 resolves dynamics; when the drummer is gently caressing the skins, or wailing on them, you hear it. That's something few headphones ever get right; the JH16's dynamic freedom is state of the art for headphones. "

CNET: JH Audio 16 Pro in-ear headphone, worth $1,149?

May 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 15
You should search and read the reviews and impressions people have already posted on the two Customs. Sometimes it's better to read than to ask. 

To get back on topic, I'd pick the 13s as they seem more neutral based on what I've read. The 16s have a slightly stronger bass response that although I'm sure I'd love, isn't what I'm looking for right now out of my phones. 

Both are amazing though. 

May 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 15
Guys, is there other custom makers other than JHA? Are there makers that are in more affortable range?  If so, can you name some? I am sure the isolation is good, but don't really need that much isolation as a non stage performer, especially at that price^.  

May 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 15
You can always custom earmold for lower quality IEMs like the TF 10s, but  custom headphones are going to be more expensive than universals (universals range up to a bit over 400 so....) customs are a few hundred away from that at least :) - expect to pay 800+ for any decent custom... there are other options other than JH but they all cost very similar :)

May 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
You can always custom earmold for lower quality IEMs like the TF 10s, but  custom headphones are going to be more expensive than universals (universals range up to a bit over 400 so....) customs are a few hundred away from that at least :) - expect to pay 800+ for any decent custom... there are other options other than JH but they all cost very similar :)

Incorrect.

Though I don't know how good they are, they certainly aren't 800+.

May 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Guys, is there other custom makers other than JHA? Are there makers that are in more affortable range?  If so, can you name some? I am sure the isolation is good, but don't really need that much isolation as a non stage performer, especially at that price^.  

There are many, just use the search function. To name a few:
Unique Melody
Ultimate Ears
Jerry Harvey Audio
Fisher Hearing
Alien Ears
Livewire
Westone
Earsonics

May 20, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:

again, not true, the JH5 is priced at $399, and many consider these VERY decent....JH7 is $699 (same, very decent)...fyi...both custom....search around for views and or reviews...good luck...

May 20, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
You should search and read the reviews and impressions people have already posted on the two Customs. Sometimes it's better to read than to ask. 

To get back on topic, I'd pick the 13s as they seem more neutral based on what I've read. The 16s have a slightly stronger bass response that although I'm sure I'd love, isn't what I'm looking for right now out of my phones. 

Both are amazing though. 

No, I wasn't asking. That's the title of the review, lol.
smile.gif

May 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:

All customs will isolate either around the same as a JH Audio earpiece or more.

May 20, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 15
Livewires are said to be something not entirely special compared to universals, especially today's universals. However, I haven't read any impressions on the Trips, only the original ones.
I think EphemeralHope is correct, to get customs that make spending the extra truly worth it over universals in sound terms, you would want to shoot for the top or close to it. Of course, this comes from someone not owning customs, but with the quality some of these new universal IEMs put out, I would think that they are fast encroaching mid priced custom territory at lower prices and less risk.

May 20, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Livewires are said to be something not entirely special compared to universals, especially today's universals. However, I haven't read any impressions on the Trips, only the original ones.
I think EphemeralHope is correct, to get customs that make spending the extra truly worth it over universals in sound terms, you would want to shoot for the top or close to it. Of course, this comes from someone not owning customs, but with the quality some of these new universal IEMs put out, I would think that they are fast encroaching mid priced custom territory at lower prices and less risk.

Not, really. I think the JH5 can outperform most if not all universals. The JH7 is in another league. The JH13/16 Pro are in another universe.

May 21, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Still very good and isolate much better than anything from JH or UE.

Which JH and UE models have you owned?

The CNET review was decent, I wanted more detail but there were still some interesting insights.  I thought the comparison with the UE18 was especially tasty, since there are so few people who own both that and the JH16: "The JH16 by comparison is more immediate, with significantly better, deeper, and more powerful bass. But it's not just a matter of more bass; the quality, texture, and nuance are better with the JH16. The sound is more visceral, dynamic jolts kick harder. Vocals have more presence, and treble is clearer."

The bass quality and quantity difference you might expect, but the fact that he found the 16s to have more forward vocals and clearer treble is a pleasant surprise.

I also thought his note about how he couldn't hear a "deranged homeless man" yelling on the subway was interesting.  I live in NY and definitely enjoy the isolation at times, but this scene seemed particularly surreal; one guy with $1200 headphones, cut off from the world, standing next to another guy who doesn't have a place to live and may have even gone crazy because of his poverty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back