JH 16 and UE 18, sound loss from wear and tear?
May 9, 2010 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

cougar_hook

New Head-Fier
Those of you who have iPods know what I mean by wear and tear. After using the iPod earphones for about 1 year, they'll sound like crap. Yeah crap, the quality of the sound gets reduced by a whole bunch and it only produces very, very low sound, so this is the reason you see a lot of teens with their iPod headphones pumped way the hell up, but actually they are getting very low sound from the earphones, hence why the volume is way up.

Do JH 16s and UE 18s ever get this type of iPod earphones wear and tear?

I use earphones every day, each day more than 15 hours of use. Before I spend more than $1 thousand dollars on these earphones, I need to know if in 1 or 2 years they'll start to sound like crap, lose volume, lose quality. Heck, does JH Audio or UE guarantee that their products after 2 years of use will sound the same as the time they were used for the first time.

Of course by wear and tear I don't mean slamming the earphones on the ground. I just mean using them while sitting down, stuffing them into your pocket, and wearing them while walking.

If you own these headphones please post how long you've had them and their quality so far. You can post your experience with them in a quick or long post, up to you.

May 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 20
ooo i'm curious too - been thinking of saving up for some customs but I treat my IEMs very carelessly... been sticking to using MDs because I think monster will replace them if they go bad with their warranty haha

May 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
Those of you who have iPods know what I mean by wear and tear. After using the iPod earphones for about 1 year, they'll sound like crap. Yeah crap, the quality of the sound gets reduced by a whole bunch and it only produces very, very low sound, so this is the reason you see a lot of teens with their iPod headphones pumped way the hell up, but actually they are getting very low sound from the earphones, hence why the volume is way up.

I'm pretty sure the reason why people turn up the volume on the iBuds is because their math is "louder = better." I never have heard of the quality going down, they just always sound bad. And if indeed the sound does get on the fritz within a year, I'd say it's because they blast them too high to the point of coil failure.

Quote:
I'll ask UE and JH A this same question, but unless I get real numbers like 1 million hours of use then they'll be full of crap and say they last centuries.

[snip]

This is what I'm going to get UE and JHA to say and record it so when 2 years pass and these idiots flake out I will *** them in the azz. They wont be able to blame this shocks and hits because I'm a super careful guy.

Well aren't you a tough guy.

May 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
I'd say it's because they blast them too high to the point of coil failure.

Yeah, this is what I was looking for. I think I always did have my iPod earphones super high.

Will this coil failure ever happen with the UE 18 or JH 16?

Quote:
Well aren't you a tough guy.

Sorry, I just hate liars. I'll edit that post later to take out the bad words.

May 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 20
I was in this epic thread.

May 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Yeah, this is what I was looking for. I think I always did have my iPod earphones super high.

If you really do listen for 15 hours per day "super high", your hearing is in grave danger. You shouldn't be listening much louder than comfortable conversation volume for that amount of time.

Honestly, your $1000 IEMs dying within a year should not be your main concern. I'd worry about your ears dying within a year.

May 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 20
I think you should get these(Final Audio FI-BA-SSJ) and they will last forever lol.........

May 12, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 20
Yes, the Administrator is renaming me.

Here is a new thing.

If you have any JH Audio custom IEMs post your experience or if you have any UE custom IEMs post your experience. Try to mainly focus on the durability of your custom IEMs.

May 12, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 20
Wow, if I had a shop I sure won't want an azz banging customer like you D:

Don't have UE or JH customs yet, but my livewires are still going strong after 3 years. Most of the time I have it in a cheapo case, otherwise it'll be in my pocket. The cheapo case broke a few months ago and I've been leaving it around without any protection since. Also put it in one of my front pockets in my army uniform and went driving trucks in a cross country training area in january.

When I get my JH 16 it'll be in it's case when not in use however. Not worth the risk.

May 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
I was in this epic thread.

Yep. I'm hoisting a flag too. Just because we may never see one like it again.

[   ]banger, my Triple-fi's sound as good today as they sounded when I got them 2 1/2 years ago. I don't see balanced armatures being a failure point. More likely cables and connections. Customs shouldn't be any more fragile except that at a certain point your ears grow and they won't fit as well. That`s meant to take a few years.

May 13, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 20
Very nice guys.

Thanks for your feedback on the armatures. This really boosts my confidence on how well these IEMs are built.

I just got an email reply from JH Audio and the email said that the sound quality will remain the same for a few ears, of course, without any harsh physical abuse to the IEMs.

May 13, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Very nice guys.

Thanks for your feedback on the armatures. This really boosts my confidence on how well these IEMs are built.

I just got an email reply from JH Audio and the email said that the sound quality will remain the same for a few ears, of course, without any harsh physical abuse to the IEMs.

Ears or years?
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back