Jethro Tull
May 4, 2002 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Fortune

100+ Head-Fier
OK

I've been a fan since I was drawing on mom's teat. I really enjoy the different phases of this band. I picked up the remastered version of Stand Up and am loving it.

It fits perfectly with my Zotl and W100's. If you like Tull, get this remastered album. Very clean and lots of punch with a smooth flow.

May 4, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 24
Only really heard Dot com (god thats an original title now isnt it!) and quite liked it.

Tull, yet another band who still make great music but thanks to the **** on the radio never get played anymore, shame...

May 4, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 24
David,

Being a fellow progger, I urge you to check out Tull's "A Passion Play". It's not very accessible from a mainstream point-of-view, as it's simply one long, 45 minute song; and thematically and musically, it's pretty complex.

Nevertheless, given your tastes in music (Marillion, Ayreon, etc), I think you'd like it!

May 4, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 24
B00000GAIW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005NTJK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 24
I've been a Tull fan since about '72 or '73. I guess I'm a bit pedestrian in my tastes but Aqualung has always been my favorite followed by Thick As A Brick.

May 4, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
I've been a Tull fan since about '72 or '73. I guess I'm a bit pedestrian in my tastes but Aqualung has always been my favorite followed by Thick As A Brick.

Thick As a Brick is #3 on my list after the two I listed above. Great album, OneMalt!

tongue.gif

May 4, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 24
Aqualung is my #1 Tull favorite!

I recently bought "Jethro Tull The Very Best of" on CD, and was actually a bit disappointed.

The songs are good, the quality sounds good, but it just seems that a bit of the same excitement as on my vinyl LP is not there. Like some of the very highs or lows have been muted. I actually have to turn the volume dial on my EarmaxPro from noon to a bit past 2 to get the same volume as on most of my other cd's.

Just seems weird.

May 4, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 24
My copy of Aqualung is an Original Master Recording from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (actually, a half-speed master). An amazing piece of vinyl!

May 4, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 24
Yes! Minstrel in the Gallery is awesome. Baker St. Muse is one of my favorite songs. The first Tull album I ever heard was Thick as a Brick, almost 20 years ago. I'ver been a fan, ever since.

War Child is also very good, as is Living in the Past and (more recently) Roots to Branches.

May 5, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 24
Tull has been a longtime favorite for me (me! the anti-progger!). I think Aqualung is by far their best, I'm not a fan of most of the stuff that came after that, but I like the early stuff. I'll have to check out the remaster of Stand Up, I have the first CD release and it sounds pretty terrible (the quality, not the music).

May 5, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by secretagent44
Tull has been a longtime favorite for me (me! the anti-progger!). I think Aqualung is by far their best, I'm not a fan of most of the stuff that came after that, but I like the early stuff. I'll have to check out the remaster of Stand Up, I have the first CD release and it sounds pretty terrible (the quality, not the music).

I had the original version of Aqualung, my favorite as well, and it was an awful recording. The remastered version was a huge improvement. Of course, I've been finding this to be the case with a lot of my original CD recordings.

May 5, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 24
Hmmm....

I must have the original CD version of Aqualung, because mine sounds like ****. Rolled off at the top and bottom and nasally in the midrange.

I'm going to have to check out the remastered version. Thanks!

May 5, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 24
Aqualung - a classic. But you've probably heard most of it ("Cross-Eyed Mary", "Locomotive Breath", title track, etc.).

Minstrel in the Gallery - completely underrated (althought obviously not on this board -- good job guys!). Lots of acoustic guitar work, but not completely lacking in ...ahem... kahunas.

Thick as a Brick - great two-part concept album. David -- from what I know of your tastes, this would be my recommendation for your next step.

A Passion Play - I really like this one, but I think anyone recommending it as an introduction to Tull hasn't listened to it lately. It is a bit weird. Definitely recommended, just not first.

Songs from the Wood - another classic! Has some of my favourite lyrics in "Hunting Girl" (alright, now you all know that I'm a pervert, but what I really like is the clever wordplay).

Heavy Horses - recommended if you like Songs from the Wood.

Broadsword & the Beast - surprisingly good, and completely underrated, this is Tull at his (sic) most accessible. IMHO. Also, love the lyrics to "*****willow" (more clever wordplay): "...down-fur-lined avenue..." etc.

A - just wanted to mention this one because Eddie Jobson does an appearance on it, and I really like anything he touches. One of their least popular albums, for some reason, just goes to show that at their worst they are still quite good.

Stormwatch - Recommended if you like Broadsword and the Beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back