Jerry Harvey Audio?
Mar 9, 2022 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any Jerry Harvey Audio owners? Are they worth looking into?
Thanks,
Ryan

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 28
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've got the JH Audio Roxannes, obtained about 5 years ago. Fairly pleased with them. The shells are substantial in size due to the components inside, but you don't get the sensation that they will fall out of your ears due to the reproduction from the moulds that were done by my Hearologist. The shells came with two identical cables for a 3.5 connection, but I changed them to another Moondrop Cable to take advantage of the new (at the time) 4.4 connection on my FiiO Daps. The sound is a revelation and it takes time for the IEMs to burn in to push the sound quality to an even more refined level. As you may know the IEMs come with a base attenuator which you can adjust to have the base to your liking. There in lies my negative issue. Adjusting the base to 'my preference' gives me the nagging feeling that I'm not listening to the true base level that the musicians/producers intended. The next unintended impact of the issue is if you have a varied preference of music like I do, for example from Salsa, heavy dub roots reggae to Hadyn played by Mstislav Rostropovich..... should you have a notebook of the various settings needed to be 'dialed' in for each genre of music...(I've not found an answer on the forums to that), perhaps I'm over thinking it (or not for the price of the Roxannes).
I was going to do another CIEM purchase after some research, but I'm not looking at the JH Audio Laylas' ('Leveling up' perhaps?) for the very reason I mentioned above. But to be fair to JH Audio I understand from their representative, that you can ask for the IEMs to be built ' standard' without the Base attenuator with the sound being 'standard'. You will have to get an up to date company policy as to what they are willing to do for you....
Apart from over ear headphones which I have, I do enjoy CIEMS and I have to stick with CIEMs as universal in-ear buds are not comfortable for my odd shaped ear-holes (Left medium, Right large).
To sum up, Yes they are "worth looking into", the sound is a revelation and also very immersive with a decent sound stage (not deeply triangle), but good enough all the same.

Mar 10, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 28
Hmm, I may consider then. I've emailed them about something to see how the is customer support is but have heard nothing.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 28
I own JH Roxanne customs. They are one of my bigger audio purchase disappointments - bloated bass even with the bass turned all the way down on the JH audio cable, recessed midrange, mediocre resolution. I previously owned the JH16s, which sounded better to me than the Roxanne. The 7Hz Timeless and the Moondrop Aria both sound significantly better to me than the Roxanne and cost a small fraction of the price.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 28
I own JH Roxanne customs. They are one of my bigger audio purchase disappointments - bloated bass even with the bass turned all the way down on the JH audio cable, recessed midrange, mediocre resolution. I previously owned the JH16s, which sounded better to me than the Roxanne. The 7Hz Timeless and the Moondrop Aria both sound significantly better to me than the Roxanne and cost a small fraction of the price.
This is were I get confused by similar response to the one above...... Both the JH16 and the Roxanne's feature the following 'technology',
Freqphase Waveguide
Soundrive technology
Acoustic Sound Chamber
Both CIEMs are powered by 4 Quad Low
Both CIEMs are powered by 4 Quad High
Where they differ is in the Mid range, 4 for the Roxanne and 2 for the JH16. The cabling may have been improved dependant on the time of purchase.

So I am confused by your feedback. No I'm not defending JH Audio, just wanting to understand what element is causing the JH16 to be an improvement on the Roxannes.
Can you remind us what was your source and the genre of music.

I listened to Hadyn - Rostropovich (whole album), Max-O-Man - Fourplay (Track), Holding on - Gregory Porter (Track) all on a FiiO M15 @ 60. Was still getting that nagging feeling that the base was not as it should be and that the sound stage could be slightly better for the price. But then I tinkered.....
I changed from the "Short delay Slow Roll-Off filter" to the "Slow Roll-Off Filter and engaged the 'All to DSD' option and it made a difference. Not life changing, but I can live with it.
As I said in my original message I will go for a 'High-end' additional CIEMs (not a replacement) which aren't JH Audio signature and obviously without the Base Attenuator just to see(?) what the difference will be.

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 28
@Seyley In answer to your question, I’ve tried the JH Roxanne with a range of upstream equipment. Here‘s a list from cheapest to most expensive:

iPad alone
iPad -> Luxury and Precision W2 (portable DAC/headphone amp)
PS Audio PW Transport + DAC -> Luxman P1u headphone amp
PS Audio PW Transport + DAC -> Eddie Current 4-45 headphone amp

I listen to a roughly equal mix of indie rock and classical.

No matter the upstream equipment I’ve tried, I find the Roxanne to sound very disappointing. As I said, bloated bass, recessed mids, and poor resolution. Maybe I got a defective pair, though that seems unlikely, as I seem to recall others stating that they found the Roxanne to be overly bass-y

Yes, the JH16 sounds better to me than the Roxanne. The JH16 doesn‘t have bloated bass that bleeds into the midrange like the Roxanne does.

While I bought the Roxanne because I enjoyed the JH16 at the time, I think the 7Hz Timeless offers better sound quality than both of these CIEMs no matter what upstream equipment I use. The Moondrop Aria is better than the Roxanne and on par with the JH16. I don’t know why that’s the case, but it’s plausible that there’s been a fair amount of innovation in the design of IEMs in the last decade, leaving JH Audio products somewhat outdated and overpriced for what they offer in terms of sound quality,

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 28
@Seyley In answer to your question, I’ve tried the JH Roxanne with a range of upstream equipment. Here‘s a list from cheapest to most expensive:

iPad alone
iPad -> Luxury and Precision W2 (portable DAC/headphone amp)
PS Audio PW Transport + DAC -> Luxman P1u headphone amp
PS Audio PW Transport + DAC -> Eddie Current 4-45 headphone amp

I listen to a roughly equal mix of indie rock and classical.

No matter the upstream equipment I’ve tried, I find the Roxanne to sound very disappointing. As I said, bloated bass, recessed mids, and poor resolution. Maybe I got a defective pair, though that seems unlikely, as I seem to recall others stating that they found the Roxanne to be overly bass-y

Yes, the JH16 sounds better to me than the Roxanne. The JH16 doesn‘t have bloated bass that bleeds into the midrange like the Roxanne does.

While I bought the Roxanne because I enjoyed the JH16 at the time, I think the 7Hz Timeless offers better sound quality than both of these CIEMs no matter what upstream equipment I use. The Moondrop Aria is better than the Roxanne and on par with the JH16. I don’t know why that’s the case, but it’s plausible that there’s been a fair amount of innovation in the design of IEMs in the last decade, leaving JH Audio products somewhat outdated and overpriced for what they offer in terms of sound quality,
Thanks for the response....

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 28
While I bought the Roxanne because I enjoyed the JH16 at the time
I was enamored by the original JH13 and 11 (pre freqphase) back in early 2010s and the jh13 was my grail iem. I've tried some JH customs including Roxannes a few years ago when I was in the market for new iems and was very disappointed with their newer offering. I'm guessing they changed their tuning direction but it sounded dull and a tad bloated unlike their initial offering when Jerry departed from UE. To me the original JH13 was the pinnacle of iem sound when it was first release and they never regained that spark for me. The decision to make the bass tuning port on the cable is also a big turn off for me.

Apr 1, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 28
I was enamored by the original JH13 and 11 (pre freqphase) back in early 2010s and the jh13 was my grail iem. I've tried some JH customs including Roxannes a few years ago when I was in the market for new iems and was very disappointed with their newer offering. I'm guessing they changed their tuning direction but it sounded dull and a tad bloated unlike their initial offering when Jerry departed from UE. To me the original JH13 was the pinnacle of iem sound when it was first release and they never regained that spark for me. The decision to make the bass tuning port on the cable is also a big turn off for me.

Funny, I basically bought a JH13 in the room at CanJam 2009 when Jerry debuted them. They were an endgame that basically cured me of full-sized headphones for quite a number of years, until they were in a bag that got stolen in 2015. I think of their more recent models, the Lola is probably the closest to the JH13's very enjoyable tuning, though I haven't yet heard the new Jolene. I disagree about the bass tuning on the cables, I think it's a great little innovation that lets you tune to a specific rig or environment, even if listening from a device where high-quality EQ isn't available.

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 28
I have the OG JH Roxanne and it was such a disappointment and waste of $1400 at the time. The bass is okay, but the tuner is trash. It makes the bass bloated. The mid is recessed which is fine and the treble has so much sibilance, I couldn't stand it. I have the universal version and the bore is so big that it hurt my ears after 30 minutes of listening time. I am not sure about the newer JH audio line ups tho.

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 28
Hmmm...I should reach out and see if they'd like to do a tour here. It would be nice to have some JH presence on Head-Fi again.

This isn't the only thread I've seen enquiring about their stuff recently, so interest is there!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back