Jecklin Float Owners Headcount - fuglyphones owners unite
May 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #76 of 175
I miss my Ergo 2
frown.gif

I've got 2 Surrounders though
biggrin.gif

Haven't seen my Jecklins in weeks either, they've been out on loan. Have to make do with the AMT, not that that's so bad.

May 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #79 of 175
I recently became the owner of the Float model two and have mixed feelings on them. They have a nice relaxed sound and the best soundstage I've ever heard in a headphone, but my Sextett is simply more involving for music so they've become largely redundant.

I find them quite good for games and movies because of the soundstage, but I suppose a QP85 would do even better for these situations. I've actually been warned by two different people that I wouldn't like the QP85 for music, but I'm very curious to find out for myself.

That also leaves the Ergo 2, which I know absolutely nothing about. Can any owners give me an idea of where they fit in the float hierarchy?

Here is me, looking intense, floating about

Picture%20227.2.jpg

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #81 of 175
How is this look called? Blue steel?
wink.gif

Ergo 2 should be a better overall headphone, but I am not sure if it has this Float 2 engolphing warmth. QP85 is somewhat cold and analytical, it will not keep you "grooving". I love my QP85 but I am biased as I like this kind of sound signature.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #82 of 175
welcome to the float lifestyle; looking intense while listening to music about space.

to bad the floats isnt getting too much headtime, but if they are anything like the PMB 85, you just have to find the right music.
when i first got my PMB i was kind of underwhelmed by the laid back and distant sound, but after hearing some arturo stalteri i finally understood how great they were.
now i mostly use them for prog/comic/folk/anything from the 70s, while the ergo2 gets the more "involving" music, like rock, disco or electronica.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #83 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is this look called? Blue steel?
wink.gif

I google....I laugh
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Ergo 2 should be a better overall headphone, but I am not sure if it has this Float 2 engolphing warmth.

I was hoping for the Float 2 to be something like a Sextett Float, but it's more like an HD600 Float. I simply think the Sextett will remain my top euphonic headphone, but I'm still holding out hope that the K400 can be one upped.

Quote:

QP85 is somewhat cold and analytical, it will not keep you "grooving". I love my QP85 but I am biased as I like this kind of sound signature.

How well does it do female vocals vs the A/250? I've heard the K501 described as boring and cold, so, given my love of the K400, I still hold out hope that the QP85 delivers in a similar fashion. Facelvega was one of those who warned me against doing so though, and he's heard both. I think I'd just like to get one to find out for myself, anyone wanna trade
tongue.gif

Quote:

to bad the floats isnt getting too much headtime, but if they are anything like the PMB 85, you just have to find the right music.
when i first got my PMB i was kind of underwhelmed by the laid back and distant sound, but after hearing some arturo stalteri i finally understood how great they were.
now i mostly use them for prog/comic/folk/anything from the 70s, while the ergo2 gets the more "involving" music, like rock, disco or electronica.

Anything from the 70s, sounds like my kinda Float. It works well with atmospheric music you'd say?

I guess QP85 is bright with lean bass ya? How's the Ergo2 tilted?

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #84 of 175
I listen to all genres of music with my QP85, even rock, funk and electronica. I personally don't find it lacking in bass, but then I'm not a bass head. I consider the DT880 bass heavy and I've seen them described as bright here. They sound muddy compared to the QP85.

I have the QP85 at work and just about every other headphone I've tried at work can't stand up to them. I have a DT880, a HD580, and a Sextett that get no head time. They all sound muddy in comparison.

I recently brought a ATH-2 to work to have an ortho, and the QP85 shows all of it's flaws. The only headphones I can listen to is a K401, Mangavox SR-3 clone and AT and Stax electrets.

They're also much more comfortable than most of my headphones. The K401 and DT880 are more comfortable. The SR-5 and SR-Gamma are about the same.

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #85 of 175
its almost as if the pmb was made with atmospheric music in mind; as it has the largest soundstage of all the floats i have tried, not even the sr-sigma can touch it.
im not sure what ohm rating the float 2 has, but i suspect the pmb uses the same drivers, only two of them, and with different dampening material on each driver, so that one driver takes care of the highs and the other the lows.
the ergo2 is an entirely different beast, as it has the smallest soundstage of all the floats (but still more than a non float), and a very balanced but involving sound.
i havent tried the sextett, but from the descriptions i have read, the ergo 2 would probably be the closest.

in my eyes, the ergo is almost the perfect headphone, as its less fatiguing than an sr60 or ms-1, yet even more involving and with that tasty float soundstage
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #87 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its almost as if the pmb was made with atmospheric music in mind; as it has the largest soundstage of all the floats i have tried, not even the sr-sigma can touch it.

Whoa
eek.gif

Quote:

the ergo2 is an entirely different beast, as it has the smallest soundstage of all the floats (but still more than a non float), and a very balanced but involving sound.
i havent tried the sextett, but from the descriptions i have read, the ergo 2 would probably be the closest.

Kind of defeats the purpose for me if it doesn't have a huge soundstage. That is, unless the Ergo2 is actually more involving than the Sextett. That would be quite the relevation, I will have to hear one some day.

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #88 of 175
The K400 is at home and the K401 is at work. Monday at lunch, I'll do a comparison of the K401 and QP85. I don't think I've actually ever switched between them. The Magnavox irritates my ear lobes after a couple of ours and the supraaural electrets clamp a little too hard after a couple of hours. I usually reach for the K401, especially after the Magnavoxes. The QP85 touch my ears and if they're already irritated, doesn't relieve the irritation. It doesn't make it worse, just doesn't make it better. The K401 doesn't touch my ears at all.

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #90 of 175
dont get me wrong, the ergo still has a large soundstage, just not as large as the pmb or sr-sigma.
edit: probably due to a more closed back than the rest of the floats and heavy use of damping foam...

also, have you tried changing/removing the foam on the floats? i found that the sound and soundstage changed a lot on the pmbs with different foam configurations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back