JDSlabs Element III impressions
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pirastro

100+ Head-Fier
Just received my new Element III DAC/Headphone Amplifier, and I have to say that I'm pretty thrilled with the sound and user experience. I recently sold my trusty Marantz HD-DAC1 that I used as a bedside rig. However, after just a few months of not having it, I started missing my cozy night time headphone listening sessions. So, on a whim I pulled the trigger on the Element III (boosted version). Sound wise, it's definitely more detailed and transparent. Also seems to have a bit more power. The Marantz was for sure warmer and lusher - maybe more laid back easy listen. But overall, I think the Element is a step up technically, with better transients and attack and overall just a clearer window into the recording. Also, the user experience is improved, with smaller footprint and and that big smooth volume nob is a pleasure to use. Question is, how is something this awesome and affordable so under the radar here at headfi?

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 16
Just received my new Element III DAC/Headphone Amplifier, and I have to say that I'm pretty thrilled with the sound and user experience. I recently sold my trusty Marantz HD-DAC1 that I used as a bedside rig. However, after just a few months of not having it, I started missing my cozy night time headphone listening sessions. So, on a whim I pulled the trigger on the Element III (boosted version). Sound wise, it's definitely more detailed and transparent. Also seems to have a bit more power. The Marantz was for sure warmer and lusher - maybe more laid back easy listen. But overall, I think the Element is a step up technically, with better transients and attack and overall just a clearer window into the recording. Also, the user experience is improved, with smaller footprint and and that big smooth volume nob is a pleasure to use. Question is, how is something this awesome and affordable so under the radar here at headfi?

Because JDS Labs don't rely on making silly "audiophile" claims, instead they base their products on audible measurements and solid engineering.

I love JDS Labs, and have followed them for many years, they have some of the best customer service in the industry and are extremely knowledgeable.

If you have an issue, they will go to great lengths to figure out what is causing it.

They are a little underrated here on Head-Fi, but don't worry they have a good following.

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 16
Because JDS Labs don't rely on making silly "audiophile" claims, instead they base their products on audible measurements and solid engineering.

I love JDS Labs, and have followed them for many years, they have some of the best customer service in the industry and are extremely knowledgeable.

If you have an issue, they will go to great lengths to figure out what is causing it.

They are a little underrated here on Head-Fi, but don't worry they have a good following.
I was at first hesitant that such a flat and linear measuring device would be boring or sterile (a claim many audiophiles make about good measuring gear), but it's just the opposite - my Beyerdynamic t1 and Meze Rai Penta IEMs have never sounded more alive and dynamic. With every headphone I put on, I'm amazed at the new level of transparency...I actually stop thinking about the headphone and how it sounds and just enjoy the music. And can't reiterate more how much I love the feel of the knob!

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 16

Thanks, Oscar. I've been MIA from Head-Fi for too long! Head-Fi is still a great resource for new releases and impressions, and we're jumping back into CanJam to better support ZMF. As far as I'm concerned, the objectivity race ended a couple years ago :wink:

Since it's likely been missed here, the latest Element III firmware v2.5.1 adds parametric bass and treble controls. Check it out!

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 16
...Head-Fi is still a great resource for new releases and impressions, and we're jumping back into CanJam to better support ZMF....
As I currently listen to my Auteur Classic on my Element III, I think it's really cool that you guys and ZMF have this connection. Highly anticipating that upcoming collab amp.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 16
Since it's likely been missed here, the latest Element III firmware v2.5.1 adds parametric bass and treble controls. Check it out!

Hi there, so I stumbled upon this, and it's piqued my interest considerably. I couldn't see anything specifics wise on the PEQ other than it's 2 bands. My situation is very specific, and this PEQ functionality could potentially solve it. I have 2021 LCD-X, where I essentially love these headphones except for their horrible 6-7dB dip around 3kHz. These headphones require EQ here to make them sound good. However, I truly hate using software EQ and having something integrated into the dac/amp would be wonderful. If that's my primary area of concern, can the PEQ capability address that specifically?

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 16
@HeyWaj10 The parametric bass and treble controls currently allow custom frequency and gain adjustment. There is no support for notch filters, yet. The XU208 is limited to processing 2 bands/filters in real-time. If there is adequate interest, we could replace the treble filter with a notch filter.

[Detail below is copied/pasted from blog.jdslabs.com]
Element III’s Options Menu has been reorganized in firmware v2.5.0. You will find a new “DSP Config (USB)” submenu, allowing parametric adjustment of Bass and Treble. In other words, you can adjust headphone response to suit your taste, regardless of operating system, and without extra software.

Each equalizer band involves a parametric biquad filter, processing on a dedicated core in near real-time, with Q = 0.707. Average latency remains the same, with or without DSP filtering. In the five impulse response checks below, latency coincidentally tested higher with DSP Off. Impulse response time varies by a few milliseconds with each test, so do not take this too seriously.

Element III performs subtractive equalization with automatic volume compensation, meaning it is impossible to clip the amplifier or overflow the DAC. You will notice an increase in the volume level readout when applying positive Bass/Treble Gain, which represents the effective signal volume. For example, if you typically listen at -30dB and apply 10dB of Bass, you will find yourself listening around -20dB.

Each band allows up to +/-30dB of gain adjustment at 8 possible frequency choices. We’re now memory constrained, but have the option to compile different cutoff frequencies upon request:

Bass Frequencies: [40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 110Hz, 125Hz, 150Hz, 170Hz]
Treble Frequencies: [3k, 4k, 6k, 8k, 9k, 10k, 12k, 14k]

DSP settings are stored separately for Headphone Output and RCA/Line Output, and the DSP cores are bypassed entirely when gain values are set to zero (default). You will also see “DSP Active” displayed when DSP cores are in-use.

Frequency Response with various Bass & Treble settings

For now, DSP is supported for PCM playback over USB, for both UAC2 and UAC1. The DSP cores are bypassed when playing DSD, DoP, or S/PDIF streams.

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 16
I got mine about 2 weeks ago. For me it’s perfect. It drives my iems and headphones and is future proof with the zmf caldera that I want to get soonish. It’s just a great item and I fully enjoy listening to it.

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 16
@HeyWaj10 The parametric bass and treble controls currently allow custom frequency and gain adjustment. There is no support for notch filters, yet. The XU208 is limited to processing 2 bands/filters in real-time. If there is adequate interest, we could replace the treble filter with a notch filter.

For now, DSP is supported for PCM playback over USB, for both UAC2 and UAC1. The DSP cores are bypassed when playing DSD, DoP, or S/PDIF streams.

Thank you for the detailed response! I'm still learning about PEQ and how one things affects another. So for my case, where my most pressing EQ need is a 7dB suckout between 3-5kHz, would choosing the 3kHz treble frequency with a +7dB boost affect all frequencies similarly above that? I see the Q factor being < 1, so I believe that maintains a wider frequency affect, so I'm just trying to best understand how that would result. Likewise, with a +7dB boost, the volume compensation would automatically adjust for that boost by reducing the gain to prevent clipping? Thanks!

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm tempted to pull the trigger! I've been in the market for an all in one to help clean up the desk space. I use mainly balanced though, but I think this little guy will be plenty powerful enough..
The knob on the new Mk 2 is very good. I really love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back