JDS Labs Element
Jul 8, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #166 of 636
  Thanks neurofone!

I'm more of a fun listener than a analytical one so I will probably end up missing the bass boost on the C5D, which it does so well.

My current kit is distinctly mid-fi with an Fidelio X2 and Momentum M2 wired.  Sounds like I if I exercise some self control (questionable), I can hold off when/if I get more power hungry cans.

Yep I think that's a wise move.  (I did not exercise much needed self-control) :)

It will be here for when I get more power hungry cans, as you said.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #167 of 636
Thanks neurofone!

I'm more of a fun listener than a analytical one so I will probably end up missing the bass boost on the C5D, which it does oh so well.

My current kit is distinctly mid-fi with a Fidelio X2 and Momentum M2 wired.  Sounds like if I can exercise some self control (questionable), I'll be able to hold off until when/if I get more power hungry cans.

I think it sounds amazing with my X2s. I will be trying it with the HE400i soon.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #168 of 636
I think it sounds amazing with my X2s. I will be trying it with the HE400i soon.

LA LA LA LA LA.  I CAN'T HEAR YOU...
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #170 of 636
  Thanks neurofone!

I'm more of a fun listener than a analytical one so I will probably end up missing the bass boost on the C5D, which it does oh so well.

My current kit is distinctly mid-fi with a Fidelio X2 and Momentum M2 wired.  Sounds like if I can exercise some self control (questionable), I'll be able to hold off until when/if I get more power hungry cans.

Nothing analytical sounding about the element to my ears.  Bass seemed fine but I understand if you want the extra thump.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #171 of 636
Question to those that have got their Element, does it work as a DAC/AMP for mobile devices (ie iOS/iPhones/Android etc)?

I imagine, since it's a USB Audio Class 1, it should work natively with mobile devices. Probably would have to go, say, iPhone -> Lightning to USB Camera Adapter -> USB in to the Element. I seem to remember someone mentioned it worked with their Android phone, but needed a powered USB hub, which sounds a bit odd to me...

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #175 of 636
was there any talk of volume control in this thread? I've heard anecdotally that this amp has no channel imbalance at all even at minimum volume...so a digital potentiometer?

I can hear an imbalance at very very low volume. Nothing bothersome in the least.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #177 of 636

I can't detect it, maybe just barely, not sure if it's in my head.   I agree nothing bothersome, way too low.   

well, specifically, i was reading your account of it on reddit lol. If you had trouble detecting it with sensitive IEMs, that means virtually everyone else should be good. And the performance to me still sounds like it is beyond what is possible with analog potentiometers, but idk. The amp has a microprocessor too, so a digital pot seems like a possibility.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #178 of 636
  Question to those that have got their Element, does it work as a DAC/AMP for mobile devices (ie iOS/iPhones/Android etc)?

I imagine, since it's a USB Audio Class 1, it should work natively with mobile devices. Probably would have to go, say, iPhone -> Lightning to USB Camera Adapter -> USB in to the Element. I seem to remember someone mentioned it worked with their Android phone, but needed a powered USB hub, which sounds a bit odd to me...

I originally couldn't get it to work and had to use a powered usb hub to supply enough power.  Here's the response from jds.

The DAC chipset used in The Element is the same as ODAC, which is Android compatible. That said, The Element's DAC is programmed differently and your Android device must be able to accept a 100mA USB OTG load. This is the only requirement.

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #179 of 636
  well, specifically, i was reading your account of it on reddit lol. If you had trouble detecting it with sensitive IEMs, that means virtually everyone else should be good. And the performance to me still sounds like it is beyond what is possible with analog potentiometers, but idk. The amp has a microprocessor too, so a digital pot seems like a possibility.

Ha, I figured my head-fi/reddit worlds would cross one day!

Anyway, I'll listen again today.  My ringing middle aged ears shouldn't be trusted...

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #180 of 636

I originally couldn't get it to work and had to use a powered usb hub to supply enough power.  Here's the response from jds.

I will try it with my Android phone later today.   I can't imagine ever using it with a phone, it's not portable of course by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back