JDS Labs Element
Jul 6, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #151 of 636
The best part of the Element is the amp. It would be a waste just to use it as a DAC, which for that purpose a standalone ODAC fits the putpose better.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #152 of 636
The best part of the Element is the amp. It would be a waste just to use it as a DAC, which for that purpose a standalone ODAC fits the putpose better.

That was my original thought but if you wanted to line out to a speaker system when you're not listening to headphones then why not.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #153 of 636
Received The Element 7 days after ordering thanks to the awesome USPS!

Looks awesome! Actually smaller than I was thinking. Smaller than my M-Stage HPA2 and half the weight.

It sounds great pushing X2s. I know they are an easy to drive HP. I'm looking to try a few others.

My only issue(which I know JDS will take care of) is I received someone's special request for DAC out instead of source in.
My mistake. I did not know my source was not working. All is good.

P.S. Matrix M-Stage HPA2 w/2 extra op-amps for sale in classifieds.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #154 of 636
Looks awesome! Actually smaller than I was thinking. Smaller than my M-Stage HPA2 and half the weight.

It sounds great pushing X2s. I know they are an easy to drive HP. I'm looking to try a few others.

Keep the impressions coming!

It's good to know that it works with the easy to drive headphones. And if you can later drive something that's a little harder, that would be good to know too. I would personally be looking for an all-around headphone amp.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #155 of 636
  Keep the impressions coming!

It's good to know that it works with the easy to drive headphones. And if you can later drive something that's a little harder, that would be good to know too. I would personally be looking for an all-around headphone amp.

I know very well it would have enough power for anything other than extreme needs (HE-6 and the like). You need not worry.  1.1W @ 32 ohm is plenty.  This thing gets loud fast.  Standard planar headphones like Audeze, Hifiman 4xx/5xx, mr speakers will not be a problem.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #157 of 636

I know very well it would have enough power for anything other than extreme needs (HE-6 and the like). You need not worry.  1.1W @ 32 ohm is plenty.  This thing gets loud fast.  Standard planar headphones like Audeze, Hifiman 4xx/5xx, mr speakers will not be a problem.

That's pretty much 99.9% of the headphone available today. (HE is the lone exception)

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #158 of 636

It all sounds very promising. I have a couple of very specific headphone amplifiers that I am quite happy with, and I am now looking for a general use amplifier - especially for the case I get to borrow a headphone to sample.
I'm still in the 1-2 week queue to receive my Element. So the impressions help me
popcorn.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #159 of 636
Just got mine.  Excellent build quality and volume knob.  Looks great.  

Dead silent!  No music playing and turning the volume all the way up, I do not hear any hiss from my SE846 !   That's pretty amazing right there.

Going to listen for a while...

https://imgur.com/a/8SopQ

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #160 of 636

Dead silent!  No music playing and turning the volume all the way up, I do not hear any hiss from my SE846 !   That's pretty amazing right there.

It looks great. Would you please take photo of C5 and Element together? :)

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #161 of 636

I have a C5D.  Would love to hear your thoughts comparing the C5D and Element.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #162 of 636

I have a C5D.  Would love to hear your thoughts comparing the C5D and Element.

Initial impression is wider soundstage with The Element, tighter bass, better fine grain control of the volume with the knob which I really like.   Sadly it lacks the bass-boost option that the C5D has, so you will miss that if you use it.    Like the C5D, no detectable channel imbalance.

Just noticed:  the Element is a fingerprint and dust magnet !   Those with OCD be warned, you'll be wiping it often.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #165 of 636

Initial impression is wider soundstage with The Element, tighter bass, better fine grain control of the volume with the knob which I really like.   Sadly it lacks the bass-boost option that the C5D has, so you will miss that if you use it.    Like the C5D, no detectable channel imbalance.

Just noticed:  the Element is a fingerprint and dust magnet !   Those with OCD be warned, you'll be wiping it often.

Thanks neurofone!

I'm more of a fun listener than a analytical one so I will probably end up missing the bass boost on the C5D, which it does oh so well.

My current kit is distinctly mid-fi with a Fidelio X2 and Momentum M2 wired.  Sounds like if I can exercise some self control (questionable), I'll be able to hold off until when/if I get more power hungry cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back