JDS Labs C5D Headphone Amp + DAC
Mar 8, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #61 of 68
So, I edited the first post in this thread to include my listening experience which I posted later on page 2 but never copied into the first post sound quality section where I had said to "watch this space".  So now that's fixed.  I ended up splitting this into Sound Quality - Initial Impressions and Sound Quality - Later Impressions.

I've seen the C5D mentioned here and there online, and always in a very positive way.  Seems it's well received, which is just.

Looking back on it now, I would say that I've decided, from my experience with the C5D, that when I'm doing portable, I want only headphones and a DAP (my iPhone typically, but I'm open to acquiring other DAP's in the coming years).  That's it.  Adding even something as small as the C5D is an annoyance that, for me, just isn't worth it.  I'd rather just find headphones that pair well with whatever DAP I'm using.

For serious listening, though, I'm at home, sitting in one place, and I'm good with my laptop, my Apogee Duet as DAC, and an amp (or Apogee Duet as amp also), and headphones.  Right now I don't have a separate headphone amp, but I'll probably be getting one soon.  Maybe a LitteDot, maybe a Schiit.  I'd definitely like to experience tubes, and rolling them seems like just too much fun not to try out at least once in your life!  LOL!

But if you need portability, power, great price to performance ratio, and sheer class and quality and great customer service, then the C5D may definitely be for you.  And man does that little red number look great!

OK.  Thanks for reading.  Just wanted to update things and bump this to the top in case anyone is thinking of the C5D.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #62 of 68
I totally agree and am looking forward to comparing my thus far underutilized C5D to the HiFi-Skyn when it gets sent out. But even if that unit satisfies my needs better, I don't foresee myself parting with the C5D, at least in the near future.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #63 of 68
_Js_, thank you for your comprehensives thought about the C5D ,at first.

Do you know if ,connected on an android smartphone via OTG cable,the C5D bypass automatically the device DAC?
The JDS website recommend to purchase optionally the cable,so i suppose the C5D should do the work.
Cuz then i would not bother looking for a moderately expensive Mp3-FLAC portable player,since i would already have full quality music directly from my smartphone.

Thank you
Antonio 

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #64 of 68
  _Js_, thank you for your comprehensives thought about the C5D ,at first.

Do you know if ,connected on an android smartphone via OTG cable,the C5D bypass automatically the device DAC?
The JDS website recommend to purchase optionally the cable,so i suppose the C5D should do the work.
Cuz then i would not bother looking for a moderately expensive Mp3-FLAC portable player,since i would already have full quality music directly from my smartphone.

Thank you
Antonio 

Antonio,

According to the OTG cable description--"A short, micro-to-mini USB OTG cable. This cable allows direct connection of a mini-USB DAC to most Android devices"--the C5D should connect digitally to your android smartphone, bypassing both the amp and dac of the internal audio codec.  But, there are a lot of android devices and OS versions, and you might do well to email JDS labs with your specific setup to see if they can tell you for sure that it will work.  Or optionally, check the very long JDS Labs C5 and C5D thread, or just make a post with your setup asking if it will work, and someone there (maybe John himself) will respond.  But either way, I'd make certain the C5D will work fully with your particular hardware and software before dropping $250 on it.  That said, I'd be very surprised if it did NOT work.  It almost certainly will work given that it is UAC1 compatible.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #65 of 68
Yes, do check first because for whatever reason, the cable did not work with my T-Mo LG G3, although other G3s have been able to work with the C5D and other USB DACs just fine. I think I'm just technologically cursed.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #66 of 68
Thank you _Js_ ,for answering.
i had already a O2-Odac combo some years ago,and i am sure i would be happy with this portable solution from JDS.

Because at the moment i am thinking in purchasing my first custom earphone, obviously i would need a good Dac-Amp combo,and because the C5D Dac should just be good enough to bypass almost any internal smartphone audio component,i thought i wont need any expensive portable player at all, any smartphone with micro Sd slot should do just fine,i am just after pure music solely.I already have a LG G2 but i was thinking another ``cheap`` smartphone to use uniquely as a music storage device.let see

Haha Gaucho,you are not the only one who is electronically cursed.
I am a Gaucho, too.From Porto Alegre. hehe

Cheers
Antonio

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #67 of 68
Hi everybody...!
I know that this is a very old post and there haven't been any messages for quite some time but if somebody could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated...!

I have been using a C5D amplifier with my first ten iPod touch but the latter has been getting so many problems with its 40 pin connection that OI’m giving up home and have been wondering if I could use my amplifier with my old iPhone 5 which runs on iOS 10.3.3

I have purchased the official camera to lightning cable as well as the USB adaptor and connected my amp to the iPhone as per Jim Sexton’s instructions but it doesn’t seem to work as I’m only getting sound from one of the earphones….

Any recommendations or advice as to what may be wrong…?

I may have to end up getting a dedicated music player but that will probably mean saying goodbye to the C5D amp which i adore…!

Many thanks for your time in advance…! :)

Attachments

• IMG_8152.jpeg
    IMG_8152.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 6, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #68 of 68
Hi everybody...!
I know that this is a very old post and there haven't been any messages for quite some time but if somebody could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated...!

I have been using a C5D amplifier with my first ten iPod touch but the latter has been getting so many problems with its 40 pin connection that OI’m giving up home and have been wondering if I could use my amplifier with my old iPhone 5 which runs on iOS 10.3.3

I have purchased the official camera to lightning cable as well as the USB adaptor and connected my amp to the iPhone as per Jim Sexton’s instructions but it doesn’t seem to work as I’m only getting sound from one of the earphones….

Any recommendations or advice as to what may be wrong…?

I may have to end up getting a dedicated music player but that will probably mean saying goodbye to the C5D amp which i adore…!

Many thanks for your time in advance…! :)
Hi,
Have you tried changing the adaptor you purchased? My initial thought is that this is only allowing one channel to come through. Try the cable that originally come with the C5D if you have it........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back