JBL Synchros S700 first impressions, vs V-Moda M100 and more.
Aug 8, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

I can not thank you enough sir for your input on these items. reviews have been hard to find on Headfi to an extent. I currently own some Ultrasone HFI- 580's which are somewhat similar to the Audio Technica M50's in sound, and build quality based on your experience with the M50's are these Noticably better than them? I found a seller that is willing to sell these new to me for 190 as opposed to the $345.00 price.Do you think that price is good for these cans? I like listening to various genres of music such as pop, rock, trap, rap (although, I prefer my rap music to be clearer rather than muddy with bass like I hear from people's cars) clear vocals, bass is good as well (sounds like these cans have these covered), and other genres overall, but pop, rock, and hiphop/ R&B dominate my musical selection. I would appreciate any feedback whenever it is convenient. Thanks. 

It's been a while since I haven't visited head-fi, I think it's time to update this thread a bit and refresh it with new opinions.

My main use for the S700 is to listen to many kinds of music in spotify in an iPhone 5S. Spotify premium allows the user to "download" or stream any song in 320kbps. It never had an integrated EQ before and there was no way to adjust the sound other than turning off LiveStage when the song was sounding too sharp (LiveStage actually reduces the bass and overall presence in many instrument heavy tracks).

4 Days ago Spotify app was updated with an added 6-band EQ. I set it in "acoustic" with flat highs. The S700 has never sounded this amazing. The result is a very consistent, strong and rich sound without losing any of the clarity.

I have the M50. They are good headphones with well balanced sound but nothing to praise for. Of course if someone is coming from a Beats or any overpriced youth-oriented headphones the M50 is automatically considered "BEST EVER". I would pick the custom one pro over the M50 anyday. And the Vmoda M100 with XL Pads over those two.

The only worthy competitor (That I've listened to) to the S700 is the Phillips X1 paired with the fiio E12, but the X1 is an open-back can and the two can't be really compared. I also like the sound of the M100+XL Pads a lot but I enjoy the jbl more.

I say go and get the S700. For $190 is a great deal, they go for $269 right now in amazon. You'll be amazed when you approach the songs you are familiar with from a different angle. I also listen to pop and rap with them, the bass is very controlled and doesn't step into the mids, so they are not bloated or boomy at all.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #17 of 24
Thanks, I did end up buying them, they do sound nice, and a class above my ultrasones which I liked when they first came out, comparing to my old ones these are more refined, they are warmer, and bassier sounding than my ultrasones which were more cold sounding with some bass, but clearity is very much there, and not disrupted by the bassier sound signature.Love the build quality on these as well, have a feeling that they will last me a while, epeciLly considering the fact that I still baby these a lot even though I've had them for more than three months.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #18 of 24
I have a quick newbie question regarding Live Stage. My headphones make a constant white noise whenever the livestage is on. Even though they are not plugged into a device. Is this normal or shouldn't I hear any noise? Thanks.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #19 of 24
Thinking about getting a set of the S500s.  Anyone out there have any more comments on them?  They look nice.  Can't find much on Head-Fi (probably due to the battery powered DSP).  Reviews on Amazon are positive (which I typically take with a grain of salt).

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #21 of 24
Another great headphone flying so low in our headfi radar (this and onkyos). Got to listen to one, and was blown away by the bass extension. These are very visible in our stores unlike vmoda m100s, which I think it rivals in sound signature. Too bad it's still priced too high here, probably due to the dsp amp. Haven't heard the dsp on but the sound without them were spectacular

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #22 of 24
I have the S500 and I agree with your review very underrated phones 500/700's. So much detail without the harsh sibilance that alot of phones have.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #24 of 24
Bump. Anyone still using theirs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back