Jazz...
Aug 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

fleasbaby

Member of the Trade: Wabi Sabi Headphones
By popular demand (okay, maybe one demand from WayTooCrazy, but a demand nonetheless...), a thread devoted to jazz, in all its glorious forms, and the rigs/home setups devoted to its aural delights...

I actual prefer my jazz at home most of the time, on vinyl, played on a Technics SL1200MKII turntable, through an Onkyo Integra A-8057 amp, and a pair of crusty old Pioneer speakers.

My portable rig is a Cowon J3, a Headstage Arrow 4G and a pair of Yuin PK1...

Favorite albums/musicians? I listen to pretty much anything by Miles Davis, and Coltrane features heavily as well, but I have special love of anything released in the late 60's and early 70s, and a peculiar fascination with free jazz...

Anyone else want to share?

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 95
Quote:
By popular demand (okay, maybe one demand from WayTooCrazy, but a demand nonetheless...), a thread devoted to jazz, in all its glorious forms, and the rigs/home setups devoted to its aural delights...

I actual prefer my jazz at home most of the time, on vinyl, played on a Technics SL1200MKII turntable, through an Onkyo Integra A-8057 amp, and a pair of crusty old Pioneer speakers.

My portable rig is a Cowon J3, a Headstage Arrow 4G and a pair of Yuin PK1...

Favorite albums/musicians? I listen to pretty much anything by Miles Davis, and Coltrane features heavily as well, but I have special love of anything released in the late 60's and early 70s, and a peculiar fascination with free jazz...

Anyone else want to share?

How about some George Benson and Grover Washington Jr.? Sig line has the HP gear for jazzing out after a busy day. Dave Brubeck and Etta James also come through on occasion.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 95
 I listen both at home and portable... preferred setups of both...

These are my currents... but by no means my final setups...

Home:                                                           Portable:
Denon AVR-607                                             Sony NWZ-Z1060 Walkman (32GB US Model)
Denon DVD-2910                                           Heir Audio 4.A (stock cable, SPC cable being made)
SWZ Interconnect                                          Klipsch Image S4
Quad 11L2                                                     UE TF10 w/UP-OCC Toxic Cables Cable
Canare 4S11 Bi-Wire setup
Apple Airport Express Optical Out to Receiver
Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer

Music:
Joshua Redman
Wayman Tisdale
Melody Gardot
Diana Krall
Amy Winehouse
Boney James
Chris Potter
Christian McBride
Marcus Miller

- There are tons more... but those are what I have running through my systems in ALAC Lossless

If you have any others to add, please do... so we can all try new artists...  I'm especially looking for anything Acoustic... as the Quads and the Heir 4.A just LOVE Acoustic

Just a quick hint of why I'm Soooooo in love with the Quads...

Note: Not my setup... I have these in Bird's Eye Maple and the PSW10 kicking up the Bass.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 95
I have some Oscar Peterson on now, Night Train....Sweet!

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 95
I can't say my rig is designed for jazz, but I've been a listener for a long time. Here are a few of my faves:

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk
Wes Montgomery: Full House
Lee Morgan: Lee-Way
John Coltrane: Live at the Village Vanguard
Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz to Come
Elvin Jones: Genesis (I had the pleasure of meeting him backstage in Seattle in '99 - one of the greatest experiences of my life!)
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (can't recall the name of the album, but it's from live show in Florida in the early-mid 80s and features Wynton Marsalis on trumpet)

I find my GR07s respond well to jazz (heck, they respond well to everything you throw at them).

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 95
Yay! Well i'm just new to head-fi and still looking for my first gear... but anyway, i also love Coltrane, i'm a die hard fan of Sonny Rollins (St. thomas and Moritat just sound breathtaking to me..) i'm a big fan of Vince Guaraldi Trio(made the score of Charlie Brown), Chick Corea, herbie Hancock (oldies...) Jaco Pastorius (he does so good with big bands...) Thelonious Monk (this guy is a piano genie for me...) Dave Burbeck quartet (Time out, including Take Five and Desmond in the sax...)  John Scofield ( Love Acidhead and specially Up All Night, 2 great albuns, Up All Night includes Avi Bortnick doing the Chords, he plays at NuBlu with Forro in the Dark nowadays in NYC) 

I also like very much TONY WILLIAMS (Great drummer!) and other stuff, Avi Bortnick has a solo cd that is also great, and of course all those carnegie hall classics, big bands (chick corea armando's rhumba with the trondenhein jazz orchestra give me chills) and so on... 

but i have mostly mp3 for it, very hard to find the good albuns here in brazil, and flacs aren't popular... 

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 95
I'm not quite sure but it has some jazz on it:

Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes (flac)
Blue Magic - Three Ring Circus, Sideshow (flac)
Larry Carlton - Smiles and Smiles to go
John Scofield - Boozer

I usually listen to Jazz Guitars at night with my fuze v2 rockbox with vsonic gr06 / superlux 668b / monoprice 8320 / sansa stock earbuds :D

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 95
Art Pepper
Shorty Rogers
Sonny Rollins
Ella Fitzgerald
Cab Calloway
Duke Ellington
Django Reinhardt
Count Basie
Benny Goodman
Bix Beiderbecke

And the greatest of all...

Louis Armstrong

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 95
I love Jazz and Audio/Video. Thanks Fleasbaby for starting the thread.

Here are some of my systems that I listen to my music on.

5 Channel System

Denon AVR-3805; Yamaha SA-CD Player DVD-C750; LG BD-370 Blu-Ray Player; Mac Mini; Fronts: Bay Audio Cube XL; Center: Bay Audio Cube; Rears: Bay Audio Mini Cube; Bay Audio Subwoofer

2 Channel System

Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB MKII; Bel Canto CD2; Bel Canto VBS1; Bel Canto REF500 Mono Block Amplifiers; Mark & Daniel Rubies; Mark & Daniel Harmonizers; Pure I-20 iPod Dock

Computer System

27" iMac; Bel Canto C5i DAC/Integrated Amplifier; Mark & Daniel Maximus Mini

Portable Rig

iPod Classic 7G (Multi-Purpose); iTouch 4G (Jazz and vocals); Headstage Arrow 12HE 3G

Headphones/IEMs

AKG K550; Monster Miles Davis Trumpet

Car Audio System

Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100; Front Stage: Hertz Millie MLK 2; Sub: Hertz Millie ML3000 12"; Amplifier: Audison LRx 5.1K; Battery: Optima D35 Yellow Top; Sound Deadening: Hushmat Ultra in the doors, flooring and hatch area

Jazz Artist

Rick Braun - Boney James - Fourplay - Spyro Gyra - Najee - Wayman Tisdale - Paul Taylor - Pieces Of A Dream - Richard Elliot - The Rippingtons - Norman Brown - Nat King Cole - Diana Krall - George Duke - George Benson - Joyce Cooling - Kirk Whalum - Lee Ritenour - Acoustic Alchemy - Alfonzo Blackwell - Joe Henderson - Joe Sample - Joshua Redman - Miles Davis - Dizzy Gillespie - George Howard - Grover Washington Jr. - Warren Hill - Terence Blanchard - Chris Botti - Herbie Hancook - Geral Albright - Earl Klugh - Baby Face Willette - David Sanborn - Braxton Brothers - Charlie Parker - Stanley Jordan - Zachary Breaux - Charles Mingus - Kenny G

I know this is a jazz thread but these artist have a jazzy and soultry sound to them that I couldn't resist putting them down also.

Vocalist/Neo-Soul

Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly - Al Jarreau - Sade - Kem - Liz Wright - Eric Clapton - Keb-Mo - Norah Jones- Jill Scott - Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly - Adele - Anita Baker

Classical/New Age

Enya - Yanni - Vanessa-Mae - YellowJackets

If you would like to try something a little different from the norm in Jazz check out Hidden Beach Recordings Unwrapped Series.  The fuse Hip-Hop, R&B  to Jazz. They done an excellent job.

I know I said in the other post about Stanley Jordan's rendition of Stairway to Heaven.  This video doesn't do any justice to hearing it off CD or good rip.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 95
Awesome Post there Spawn300Z!  Now you have me looking up artists and Bel Canto gear.  I want to upgrade to all "American" gear some day... and was leaning towards Carver or Sunfire stuff... but Bel Canto gear looks nice without requiring an $800-$1000 Media Rack.  Very interesting products.  I'm feeding a lot of my music from my Music Server (Synology NAS) or my Macbook Pro... but my server/family computer of choice that I've been eyeing has been the 27" iMac.  Now to get the wife to go along with re-doing the "Man Cave". 

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #12 of 95
I know the feeling I have the bug bad. I have a mac mini also that I use with my 5.1 setup that I forgot about. But I have to connect it with the iMac and plan on using it as a music and movie server in the future.

If you are truly into high end audio gear hear are two sites that you need to have in your bookmarks.  They are the perfect place to pick up some great used high-end gear if you don't want to bite the bullet yourself or if your unsure about something.  Audiogon has great discussion boards and reviews also.

http://audiogon.com

http://www.audioasylum.com/index.htm

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #13 of 95
Quote:
I know the feeling I have the bug bad. I have a mac mini also that I use with my 5.1 setup that I forgot about. But I have to connect it with the iMac and plan on using it as a music and movie server in the future.

If you are truly into high end audio gear hear are two sites that you need to have in your bookmarks.  They are the perfect place to pick up some great used high-end gear if you don't want to bite the bullet yourself or if your unsure about something.  Audiogon has great discussion boards and reviews also.

http://audiogon.com

http://www.audioasylum.com/index.htm

Now you have gone and done it....You just set WayTooCrazy's wallet on fire....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 95
Funny that's exactly what happened to my wallet when I found those sites.  I also have some other pieces that I have picked up from there sitting in the box for a home theatre setup for when I move in the near future. I will share once completed.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 95
I deliberately stopped looking at Audiogon after a while. It was nuts....kind of where I am headed with Head-Fi I guess :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back