Jazz: Where to Start?
Mar 23, 2008 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

D-Funk

New Head-Fier
Ok guys, I've been looking for some Jazz recommendations. Not that I don't have any Jazz now, I do, I just don't know where to go from here. I have the following artists in my library:

Abu Gara
Jaco Pastorius
John Coltrane & John Coltrane Quartet
Miles Davis
Thelonious Monk
Ulu
and more I just don't feel like looking through my whole library
redface.gif

I've got a pretty solid start, but I feel I've only scratched the surface. I particularly enjoy modern and the more "jammier" types of jazz but am open to any and all suggestions. If anyone has any recommended artists & albums it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Here's a good place to start:

Amazon.com: Jazz (Npr Curious Listener's Guide): Loren Schoenberg,Wynton Marsalis: Books

It covers a lot of ground with the various subgenres and has an excellent list of 100 recommended CDs in the back. For $12 or so, you can't go wrong. Another good book on jazz is this:

Amazon.com: The Playboy Guide to Jazz: Neil Tesser: Books

I found it useful, as well, but have been enjoying the NPR recommendations slightly more.

If you don't have a good jazz station nearby, here's one to stream:

KJAZZ 88.1 FM | America's Jazz and Blues Station

I'm lucky enough to live close enough to listen. Oddly, it comes in really, really well on my FM tuner, so I started to listen just because reception was terrific. I never hated jazz, but had always been more of a classical person. Well, tuning in night after night did something to me and I started to crave jazz. I still listen to classical, rock and roots/country, but love jazz equally well now. I look forward to tuning in Jai Rich on overnight almost every night. He's a laid-back, friendly guy with a great ear for music.

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I particularly enjoy modern and the more "jammier" types of jazz but am open to any and all suggestions. If anyone has any recommended artists & albums it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
biggrin.gif

I like Medski, Martin, & Wood and Galactic for the jammier type of jazz. Beware of the last Galictic album, On the Corner, unless you like rap.

The 2 you could start with in particular are

Galactic - Crazy Horse Mongoose
MMW - End of the World Party (Just In Case)

There are a bunch of threads on jazz here. Search for the acid jazz thread for funkier stuff.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 11
I always recommend the easy listening classic Miles Davis Kind Of Blue. Really a brilliant and introdutory album. Pretty good for jazz newbies once it's not complex. Better if you read a review of it while listening, so you'd be able to understand the essence of the album and that will help you to start well in the magnificent world of jazz ...

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 11
Another good way to try out some new/similar stuff is to use pandora, which is an internet based "radio" station. You can set up several different "stations" with different types of music in each. How it works is that you pick some artists in a genre that you like and then they play them and other similar artists. Whenever you hear something you like you can get details about the song, album and artist from the site.

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back