Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
Contemporary Jazz???

Dave Weckl Band: "Perpetual Motion"
Yellowjackets: "Timesquared"
Spyro Gyra: "The Deep End"
Rippingtons: "Let It Ripp"
Pat Metheny Group: "Speaking of Now"

I am lookin for artists making music simiarl to the ones I mentioned in my first post. Miles Davis/John Coltrane/Charles Mingus....stuff like Kind of Blue , Mingus Ah Um.....Is anyone making that style jazz anymore. Not "Smooth Jazz" or "NuJazz" (not that I am averse to these styles, I've become quite fond of Metropolitan Jazz Affair). Thanks

Scott

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Interesting NuJazz discovery:

MJA: Metropolitan Jazz Affair

sounds interesting... I'll have to check that out
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
sounds interesting... I'll have to check that out
biggrin.gif

Excellent, let me know what you think.

Scott

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #22 of 30
Thanks for reminding me of Don Ellis. My school has a large display of his with a costume, a trombone, his scores and stuff like that. I always meant to check his music out but never remembered his name after I took 3 steps away from the display.

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #23 of 30
Keith Jarrett's trio with Jack Dejohnette and Gary Peacock is probably one of the more traditional working jazz bands around. They do standards while still being original and inventive. I've found Wynton to be a little bit dry and pedantic. Maybe Jim Hall? He's still around and making really good music. As is Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock. People like Brad Mehldau. He's not really my favorite, but should probably be included in a list like the one you seek. Fred Hersch... Who else? Maybe Dave Holland... I don't know. Off the top of my head, this is what I can think of.

I have to ask though, why not get the older, original stuff first? I've been trying to hype Lester Young, because I think he's the best. Maybe check him out first.

Jun 18, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Well I have been listening Jazz on and off for a while now. Picked up a lot of the classicas (Kind of Blue, Birth of Cool, Mingus Ah Um...things like that). I am looking for more artists like this, the bop/hard-bop sounds really appeals to me. I've heard some Smooth Jazz, but it's just not really my thing. Are there any modern artists making music in this style?

Next Purchase: Time Out by Dave Brubeck (Guess you can't call yourself a fan if you don't have Take Five)

Scott

man, i wish there were more good jazz being made stateside today... but it's not totally absent.

one thing to keep in mind is that jazz is all about innovation. while be-bop and hard bop are brilliant eras of jazz, people who play that now are, by definition, essentially "oldies acts."

since the spirit of jazz is about moving forward and discovering the new, rather than look for contemporary bop players, i'd look for innovators who invoke the soul of the old boppers. try chicago art ensemble and ethnic heritage ensemble (both out of chicago)... they really grew out of free jazz, but they summon the ghosts of the bop greats in interesting, mesmerizing ways. i also love the lounge lizards, john lurie's outfit out of new york... playing so-called "downtown" jazz. experimental but always listenable.

for more great bop, try thelonious monk (just about any album) and modern jazz quartet (i like django).

you also might want to check out the free jazz pioneers, ornette coleman (the shape of jazz to come) and eric dolphy (out to lunch).

all this is, of course, IMHO.

Jun 19, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #25 of 30
Last few days I have been listening to Wynton Marsalis - Live at the Village Vanguard. Good stuff, IMHO and well recorded!

One of my favorite non sacd jazz sets. What you really need to do
is go and listen to marsalis and his lincoln center jazz band. Sure wish
they would put on disk what they play live.

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Last few days I have been listening to Wynton Marsalis - Live at the Village Vanguard. Good stuff, IMHO and well recorded!

One of my favorite non sacd jazz sets. What you really need to do
is go and listen to marsalis and his lincoln center jazz band. Sure wish
they would put on disk what they play live.

Any recommends on SACDs then?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
I have to ask though, why not get the older, original stuff first? I've been trying to hype Lester Young, because I think he's the best. Maybe check him out first.

Any recommends on titles?

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #28 of 30
Incidentally, if you don't already own it, you should definitely grab yourself a copy of The Quintet - Jazz at Massey Hall. It's a live recording of 1953 concert in Tronto that brought together bop greats Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach. The recording quality isn't all that great (it's a live recording from 1953), but it still is a must-have for any bop fans.

Coincidentally, it was also one of the first two CDs I owned (the other was Paul Simon's Graceland).

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #29 of 30
Another good one that I listen to on frequent basis is Jazz at Lincoln Center: They Came to Swing. It's a great album and you also get to hear John Faddis leading the way on "Things to Come," a Dizzy Gillespie composition.

As for a must-have for Diz, I think Odyssey: 1945-1952 is a really good place to start. Keep in mind that it's a three-disc set, though. If you'd rather not pay for the whole set and risk not liking him, they've now released a single disc version called The Best of Odyssey 1945-1952, which contains highlights from the original three-disc set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back