Jazz, the next step...
Jun 1, 2004 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Posts
3,485
Likes
17
Well I have been listening Jazz on and off for a while now. Picked up a lot of the classicas (Kind of Blue, Birth of Cool, Mingus Ah Um...things like that). I am looking for more artists like this, the bop/hard-bop sounds really appeals to me. I've heard some Smooth Jazz, but it's just not really my thing. Are there any modern artists making music in this style?

Next Purchase: Time Out by Dave Brubeck (Guess you can't call yourself a fan if you don't have Take Five)

Scott
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 30

Ozric

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Posts
570
Likes
10
While not "modern" by any means, you can't call yourself serious about bebop if you don't have any Charlie Parker. Pure genius. Try The Essential Charlie Parker for starters. If you're feeling more adventurous, I highly recommend getting the Rhino box set, or better yet, The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes. Hours of the most creative improv playing ever.
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 30

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Posts
4,835
Likes
11
I've always liked diz better than bird. Luckily enough, they usually record together
biggrin.gif
So go for Dizzy Gillespie too if you see him. Not always as smooth as Charlie, but I think the trumpet is harder to play, so I give him mad props
tongue.gif
Bop's kinda old these days...I don't know too many people still playing straight bop. Most modern artists playing stuff on an edge go for a more coltrane/coleman sound with crazy harmonic leaps added to the dissonance. Doesn't always have the same drive. I know that John Faddis learned with Diz, but I only have 1 recording by him and it's not bop...
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 30

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 21, 2002
Posts
1,847
Likes
254
IMHO, Europe is where the contemporary jazz is at. "Modern" as opposed to "traditional" jazz is something that had it's peak in 60-70s (in the States), IMHO.

USA has been doing the same 70's recycling for the past 30 years or so now. Not really going anywhere, but very good at recycling the old. Again IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif


Check out Nils Petter Molvaer, Bugge Wesseltoft (Jazzland record label in general) and Esbjörn Svensson Trio as some examples of European contemporary jazz. Also, check out jazz releases on ECM label.

Again, all very IMHO, don't be offended
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 30

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Posts
3,485
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric
While not "modern" by any means, you can't call yourself serious about bebop if you don't have any Charlie Parker. Pure genius. Try The Essential Charlie Parker for starters. If you're feeling more adventurous, I highly recommend getting the Rhino box set, or better yet, The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes. Hours of the most creative improv playing ever.


Thanks I will defentiely look into this. I've also been listening to some old Herbie Hancock (not the odd electronic stuff he did in the 80's)
biggrin.gif
.

Scott
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 30

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Posts
3,485
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I've always liked diz better than bird. Luckily enough, they usually record together
biggrin.gif
So go for Dizzy Gillespie too if you see him. Not always as smooth as Charlie, but I think the trumpet is harder to play, so I give him mad props
tongue.gif
Bop's kinda old these days...I don't know too many people still playing straight bop. Most modern artists playing stuff on an edge go for a more coltrane/coleman sound with crazy harmonic leaps added to the dissonance. Doesn't always have the same drive. I know that John Faddis learned with Diz, but I only have 1 recording by him and it's not bop...



Diz added to the list of things to get. Any "must have" releases by him? Speaking of Coltrane, I need to invest in a copy of "A Love Supreme". I have a beady on the special 2 CD version.

Scott
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 30

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Posts
3,485
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
If you want some modern, different stuff, try Bohren & Der Club of Gore. (Self-described "horror jazz.")

- Chris



Horror Jazz....Hmmmmm....
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 30

Genetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Posts
3,124
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon

IMHO, Europe is where the contemporary jazz is at.
(...)
Check out Nils Petter Molvaer, Bugge Wesseltoft (Jazzland record label in general) and Esbjörn Svensson Trio as some examples of European contemporary jazz. Also, check out jazz releases on ECM label.

Again, all very IMHO, don't be offended
smily_headphones1.gif



Oh but we are....
biggrin.gif


Sorry to say that you're perfectly right. It co$t u$ North American$ to keep in touch with thi$ reality....
frown.gif


A good one: E.S.T. (Somewhere Else Before: Sony 85834 (2001)). I'm waiting for the last Édouard Ferlet (Par tous les temps: Sketch 333041)

Amicalement
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 30

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Posts
3,485
Likes
17
Last few days I have been listening to Wynton Marsalis - Live at the Village Vanguard. Good stuff, IMHO and well recorded!

Scott
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 30

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
have you tried any nujazz scottder?

check out cinematic orchestra, koop and for a bit more energy xploding plastix
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 30

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Posts
3,485
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
have you tried any nujazz scottder?

check out cinematic orchestra, koop and for a bit more energy xploding plastix



Well, I've heard OF "NuJazz" but never actually heard any.

Scott

[edit] Interesting note, Allmusic.com seems to list most of those bands as "electronica" or "Acid Jazz"
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 30

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
genre aside, you should check them out... the only reason I labeled them nujazz is because they all seem to have jazz roots, but with a fresher application... and all music is a nice site, but they mess up on those classifications frequently
wink.gif
 
Jun 2, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 30

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Posts
3,485
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
genre aside, you should check them out... the only reason I labeled them nujazz is because they all seem to have jazz roots, but with a fresher application... and all music is a nice site, but they mess up on those classifications frequently
wink.gif



No doubt, there is quite a bit of electronica/electronic music that I enjoy. I just found it interesting how they are classified. Genre classificiations can be very subjective. I will check into those bands you mentioned. Thanks
etysmile.gif


Scott
 
Jun 3, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 30

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Posts
3,485
Likes
17
Interesting NuJazz discovery:

MJA: Metropolitan Jazz Affair

The debut album by French jazz trio MJA offers up a new jazz sound, influenced by bebop, lounge and hip-hop. Combining electronics and live instruments, MJA is comprised of trumpet master Stéphane Ronget from the Paris Jazz Conservatoire, pianist Benjamin Dévigne from the group Colorblind, and bassist and ‘machine man’ Bruno Hovart from the group Patchworks. Hovart’s electronic, nu-jazz and deep-house influences are juxtaposed with the hardcore bop trumpet of Ronget, creating a fascinating blend that ranges from edgy beats to pure seduction.

Pretty accurate description.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top