Jazz lover's headphone rig
Dec 6, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
I'm fairly surprised that no one has mentioned the dt880's; I figured that this would be the first on the list by a fair margin =P. Is the sa5000 that much better than the DT880 neutrality wise?

The DT880 is also an excellent choice. Of the 'phones I own, I consider it second only to the SA5K, making it the best bargain by far. The DT880, unlike the SA5K, is a headphone that I think belongs in any serious headphone enthusiast's collection.

The Sony is much more a "love it or hate it" proposition that I suspect depends on the volume one prefers. I tend to listen at relatively low levels and absolutely love the SA5K.

Dec 7, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #17 of 22
I <3 my RS-1 with most Jazz, but there is some that I prefer to listen to through the HD-650.

RS-1 Jazz:
Monk
Bill Evans

HD-650 Jazz
Patricia Barber
Madeleine Peyroux

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I <3 my RS-1 with most Jazz, but there is some that I prefer to listen to through the HD-650.

RS-1 Jazz:
Monk
Bill Evans

HD-650 Jazz
Patricia Barber
Madeleine Peyroux

I agree with the hd/650 recomendation. I love these guys with jazz. I find brite headphones to be way too harsh for those older recordings. The cymbols sound harsh and acidy if your headphones high end is too forward. Jazz vocals also need the edge taken off in my opinion which these headphones do in spades.

Dec 9, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #22 of 22
I have a Stax SRM-005 rig that I use for Jazz. Primarily recordings by Coltrane, Miles, Wes Montgomery, and Bird to Gershwin and Brubeck from the '50's on. Some older stuff can be harsh under the electrostatic microscope.

But as far as detail, decay, and color, even this inexpensive rig is nice. I don't have much experience comparing cans, though. Audiocubes can drain your wallet quite effectively if you want to go that route.

lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back