Jazz lover's headphone rig
Dec 6, 2005 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
As one final attempt before I drive somewhere far to test headphones out for myself, I'd like to get at least get an idea of what I should be looking for when I go.

A few words about my current headphone tastes and jazz:

I find the MS-1's overly bright for jazz. they may be considered "neutral" on these forums, but man, most of the instruments sound totally fake.

In hearing the super.fi's I have also found that they are too dark for my tastes and seem to affect the tibre of every instrument in the exact opposite way of the ms-1's.

What are some possible suggestions in the up to 400 dollar range for good jazz headphones based on my ideas on these two?

Also, are there any Head-fiers who live in Charlottesville, VA, that possibly have a headphone collection that they'd let a head-fier sample?
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Sounds like you've only tried bows on the MS-1's.

I am pretty sure that the MS1s come with comfie pads.

Dec 6, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 22
Yeah, I've tried pretty much every single pad combination save flats on my ms-1's. I was perfectly content with the sound until I visited a local jazz performance and realized just how colored these cans are. While they are great for rock, IMO they are far from the real thing.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 22
if you can go IEM, the Shure E4c is the best jazz 'phone I have heard. My AKG 240m are good too, but lack a little bass. Maybe the newer AKG line?

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
if you can go IEM, the Shure E4c is the best jazz 'phone I have heard. My AKG 240m are good too, but lack a little bass. Maybe the newer AKG line?

Shure E4c good for Jazz? Thought it was more suitable for pop/rock?

Dec 6, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
Long time no hear, dude
biggrin.gif

But i agree, the faster/more detailed 'phones tend to excel with jazz. SA5K and the various Stax phones have been the best.

I'm still around, posting bits and pieces of useless posts here and there.
icon10.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 22
I'm fairly surprised that no one has mentioned the dt880's; I figured that this would be the first on the list by a fair margin =P. Is the sa5000 that much better than the DT880 neutrality wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back