Jazz Headphones
Mar 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

JimSmiley

100+ Head-Fier
Hey now..Any Jazz fans have a set of cans that they love. I love my Grados when listening to Rock, but I'm looking for some HPs to pair with Freddie Hubbard, Sonny Clark, Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Sonny Rollins, Horace Silver, Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, Herbie Hancock (you get the picture). Not a lot of big band--It's mostly hard bop and still "in your face". Don't get me wrong the SR125s handle jazz just fine. I'm just wondering if there is another brand or model that might marry well with small combo jazz.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 36
I had the same problem you have. I had a pair of HD555s but they were not fast or exciting enough for hard bop.

I recently purchased a pair of Goldring DR150s and a pair of Audio Technica AD700s. Both are good for hard bop but the Goldrings are really good. They don't have a big soundstage but you really don't need a huge soundstage for hard bop. They are quick and very detailed. Plus they are cheap! Way underpriced. Anywhere from $112 ~$150

If you want a bigger soundstage the AD700s will be a good match. They are also extremely cheap right now. I got mine off of Ebay for $120 shipped.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 36
HAve you considered AKG?
I found the K501 and K701 to do jazz rather well
k701smile9ga.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 36
I listen to the same style music as you. I love the Grado RS-1s for this application.

Listening to Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement on them right now.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAve you considered AKG?
I found the K501 and K701 to do jazz rather well
k701smile9ga.gif

x2 The K601 is great too. IMO the AKGs are good in any genre. They need an amp.

I like my orthodynamics as well, but they require mods to make them shine and they can be hard to drive.

I don't really have a recommendation that doesn't require an amp. The Goldring mentioned above has a Grado like sound signature, so if you want something completely different, I wouldn't get them. I've not heard the Senns recommended, but I do like jazz from my HD580.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 36
For jazz, I reach for the K-501, DT880 and HD-600. The K-501 is my favorite, but can't really fault the other two. The RS-1 can be a fun listen with jazz, but I usually use it for rock and some country/roots.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 36
Hi Jim,

Since you don't state a budget, nor a preference for open or closed cans and not your upstream components either, I assume we can throw as many suggestions as we wish
biggrin.gif

You've already received great suggestions indeed. Jazz is one of the genres I listen most since I conduct a jazz program online named the Jazz Sessions on Mod Radio UK, so you get the picture. I spend many hours listening jazz and many of those on cans. My favourite sub-genre is hardbop but I dig a lot bebop, classical swing, big bands, post bop, modern bop... almost anything that keeps that good feeling of a few cats playing together with some purpose. Maybe fussion and free are my least preferred sub-genres.

I have some cans and I cannot tell you which ones are my favourites to listen to jazz, it depends on my mood and who's the band leader, or the recording. I've been lately amazed by the performance of the JVC DX1000, some recordings sound really gorgeous with the extra oomph these cans give to the double bass, left hand chords on piano and drumkit kicks, but at the expense of losing some spark on the cymbals work or the spitting in your face blowing of a trumpet. Timbrically are very correct but they're not the best if you want to distinguish an alto sax from a tenor one for the playing of just a couple of notes. The soundstage depth creates a wonderful atmosphere on live recordings, you should listen to Bill Evans at the Village or Brubeck at the Carnegie... really nice, a great treat indeed.

The Senns HD600 (which I like better) or HD650 are kind of a "safe bet". Very balanced across the spectrum, everything is right, in place, a bit laid back, with a very correct timbre, more "air throughout the horn" than with the DX1000, but less bass weight and a flatter stage. A good balance between emotion and sound quality. They sound a bit faster and snappier than the DX1000s too. With the 650 you'd get a slightly warmer sound and some more mid-upper bass weight, which is nice for piano and double bass, but you'd be losing the snap and sense of speed in the highs. Take your poison. With a good CD player you could drive them, but a headphone amp is strongly adviced. The DX1000 scale well with an external amp, but you can enjoy them a lot without it.

The AKG K701 are also very good, they're the cans I use most with the computer while recording the talkies for the show and sorting out the tunes. I'm lucky my souncard's HP output is amplified and yields decent sound with them. I could bring in here a HPs amp, but I don't really see the need, I don't listen very loud. These cans do need an amp and don't expect any good result from a DAP unapmed, not even a decent CD Player unless it has a "serious" HP out. They have a good balance across the spectrum. Some say their midrange is great... I disagree, it's good, but nothing to really speak of. Their strong point is the highs above 4KHz or so. Crystal clear, never harsh or bright but energic when needed and smooth and extended. The deepest bass is very laid back, almost inexistent unless the recording has tons of it, which is not usual on hardbop recordings, so no worries on that. Mid and upper bass is good, timbres of double basses and pianos are quite right on those low areas, but maybe a bit more pronounced than with the HD600 and way more reticent than with the DX-1000. The "problem" with these cans IMHO is the transition from upper midrange to lower highs. There's something there which sound unnatural, nor really bright or distorted, just weird, which sometimes calls your attention and drives it off the music. Some people don't notice it and are very happy with these cans. I must say that mine have over 500 hours of burn-in, with less than 300 they sound quite average and still less involving. Nice cans anyway and very adequate for jazz.

Other great cans for jazz and almost any genre are the Denon D5000. I got a listen on them some weeks ago and have a pair on order which I'll mod following Markl's indications. Stock are good, but their bass is very pronounced, stage quite narrow and lacking depth, its highs extended and clean, but a bit in the bright side of things. Unmodded I found them a bit fatiguing, but not with jazz, playing jazz the results are very good. Once I have them modded, if you're interested, I might share more impressions.

Good luck with your choice. My advice is that you get your favourite disc and go out to try some of these cans, then you'll know which one is the best for you.

Regards.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 36
Wow, Cool Torpedo...nice response. I'm new to jazz and don't want to hijack this thread. If you care to PM me with some recommendations for a jazz newbie, I'd like to hear from you.

My only previous experience is with the Western Michigan University jazz ensembles and "Trumpet Evolution" 2003. I've enjoyed both.

With my limited arsenal and experience, I like the K501s.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, Cool Torpedo...nice response. I'm new to jazz and don't want to hijack this thread. If you care to PM me with some recommendations for a jazz newbie, I'd like to hear from you.

My only previous experience is with the Western Michigan University jazz ensembles and "Trumpet Evolution" 2003. I've enjoyed both.

There have been many threads in the Music forum. Do a search, because the same albums are recommended over and over. And a few raging debates as well
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 36
I listen to a lot of jazz on an oldish pair of Sony MDR-V900's and its fantastic. Very present sounding with slight accentuation of bass though it never interferes. I dont know if the new models are exactly the same and mine have been breaking in for about 12 years
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/ple...d-jazz-291201/

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 36
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I will certainly audition some of those. Also, thanks for the link to the music section. Never been there before..great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back