Jazz guitar recommendations
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #16 of 42
Bill Frisell - Where in the World or more recently History, Mystery
John Scofield Trio - Enroute
Steve Tibbetts - Yr
Pat Metheny (with Gary Burton, Steve Swallow and Antonio Sanchez) - Quartet Live

Just a few I like...

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #19 of 42
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I'll definitely check some of them out.

Steve.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #20 of 42
I will third or fourth the Grant Green suggestions. The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark would be my recommendation.
Also, Bill Frisell is phenomenal. I've been listening to Blues Dream a lot lately.
Django, as always, is great.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #21 of 42
Another + for Django and Stephane Grappelli.

I've seen two votes for Jim Hall. If you want the bare-bones genuine article, go for the two duets albums with Bill Evans and Jim Hall: *Undercurrent* and *Intermodulation*.

Bill_Evans_and_Jim_Hall-Undercurrent_%28album_cover%29.jpg

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #22 of 42
Django is great choice, but I find I don't listen too much to him due to the sound quality of his recordings. I usually reach for more recent gypsy jazz that has better fidelity, such as Birelli Lagrene or the Rosenberg Trio (though it's sometimes still nice to hear the original).

Jim Hall's recordings with the Chico Hamilton Quintet are nice as well. Great intimate, chamber jazz.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #23 of 42
Jim Hall's brilliance is pretty wide-ranging. You might also try his stuff Sonny Rollins, which is different from his work in the Jimmy Giuffre 3, which is different from his work with Paul Desmond…I think you get the picture.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #28 of 42
x4 on the Kenny Burrell

Joe Pass & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - Chops or Northsea Nights (NHOP was one of the best bassist around and the interplay between the two is great.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #30 of 42
Oh yeah, I forgot about:

517WEQ634QL._SS500_.jpg

Other "jazz" albums by Gatton that I also like are Relentless and New York Stories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back