Jazz for beginners
Feb 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
I can't remember when I got this track but it is labeled Monk and Davis live. No real info on where it was recorded.

Most likely the Newport Jazz fest - a lot of people see MIles and Monk's name on it, but it was 2 individual sets and they didn't play with each other. Monk's set is on one side and Miles' on the other.

That's my guess as to what it is, but without hearing the track I can't be sure.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
I'd add Fats Waller. He was one of the most skilled and influential piano players, a fantastic composer, and just plain fun. He's the equal of any on your list.

True story.....Fats was such a good and prevelant composer that he was known to trade original compositions for hamburgers :)

Going to see Jason Moran in June doing a tribute to Fats Waller!!

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #20 of 23
a recommendation from a beginner (myself) won't hurt I guess :)
besides the ones mentioned before, a sound that a "beginner" will easily enjoy is Lee Morgan...
perfect albums with "Sidewinder" shining among them...

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #21 of 23
I think the best "gateway" into jazz depends upon the kind of music you may already like.  For example, it was easy for me to like Chick Corea / Return to Forever, Larry Coryell / Eleventh House and other fusion groups in the early 1970s coming from a rock perspective.  It took a little more work but well worth the effort to go deeper.  I worked with an older engineer in the late 70s to early 80s who took the time to expose me to some early Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, and the Quintet du Hot Club de France with Django and Stephane.  I'm sure glad he made the effort!

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #22 of 23
I've always found that a genre in its purest form is always the best place to start. I actually look for great music that isn't at all like music I already like.

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 23
Subscribed :)

Also, as a sort of jazz amateur, when I was in college I picked up a copy of John Coltrane's Blue Train and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, just because the covers looked the most like a jazz cover should look.  Who would have ever known that I ended up picking up one of the hallmark jazz albums of all time.  Serendipity, I guess. Those two CDs made me love jazz, but I just never got very into it.  But I have started to really start to listen to more jazz now than previously.  

As for jazz recordings that you listen to several times and don't like, but turn out loving for me was Bird's A Night in Tunisia.  Hated it, love it now.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back