Jazz for beginners
Feb 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Hoagie

100+ Head-Fier
80 % of my listening is jazz and blues.  People who know me often ask for my opinion when they discover jazz.  So I thought I would put some of my opinions down.  As I start this thread, I warn you that it may get long.

Background.

I'm not a computer guy by any means, so you might want to keep this fact in mind.  I know nothing about sound cards etc which likely may cause some of you to disagree with my opinions on equipment.

Equipment.

I'm not concerned about sound signatures.  Jazz is performed in many types of venues which influences sound signatures, so why limit headphones to neutral only. The real world is not neutral.  Recordings mainly reflect what a sound engineer thinks is best.  Why shouldn't my tastes be just as valid.  Lastly music is supposed to be fun, so why not play around.

What I do care about, is that the music be detailed. By this, I mean that the notes be like they were cut with a sharp knife, rather than muddy or cut with a dull knife.  I want to be able to follow distinct lines in the music.  I also want the tones to be full.  This is like the difference between a good Italian or french roast coffee vs. MacDonald's.  I think most headphones with the right amp can deliver.

I think amps are important.  On the go when I'm at a coffee shop or library, I use my IPod, and I disagree with the idea that headphones such as the M50's can be used without an amp.  To my ears and with the IPod, a line out, and an amp is necessary to get the detail.  However I admit I know nothing about sound cards so take this into consideration if you use another source.  The amp does not need to be expensive.  My hornet is better than the Fiio 11 that I recently bought, but not by a whole lot, at least to my challenged ears.  This is not about volume, but about detail and fullness.

Music

Jazz has so many flavors, and sub genres, that my advice is to experience a wide variety of styles before concentrating on one.  Eventually you may narrow your scope to a particular style or instrument but in my opinion that should come later.

You should also recognize that jazz is a acquired taste.  There have been many times where I did not like an album at first.  However if I went back to it a month or so later, I really enjoyed it and "wonder what was I thinking?".  On the other hand it does not always come out this way.  I still dislike Bitches Brew no matter how many times I listen to it.

My top 10 recommendations for a beginner are as follows.

Dave Brubeck. Dave Brubeck with his unusual time signatures took jazz in a new direction.  Also the music is so interesting that even people who don't like jazz like Brubeck.   Most people would suggest Time Out.  I would suggest either The Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall, or the  Greatest Hits album.  My reasoning is simply that some of my favorite tracks such as unsquare dance are on Time Further Out, but not on Time Out. 

Louie Armstrong.  He was there pretty much at the start and took the music to a whole new level, both with his horn and with his singing.  You have to have Louie in a collection.  My recommendation is the Carnegie Hall Concert, or Live At the 1958 Monterrey Jazz Festival.

Jelly Roll Morton.  He once proclaimed that "there ain't no jazz but Jelly's jazz"  Not true, but he is a good representation of early jazz especially the piano.  He did not last long, but it's my list and I like him.  I am suggesting  Jelly as representative of an era.  A lot of people forget that jazz started off as dance music.  The kind of music that young people loved and upset parents.  Partially a race thing and partially a style thing.

Duke Ellington.  He is the best representative of big band swing.  There are others who are outstanding, but most albums will have a mixture of swing and the pop music of the time.  It's the difference between Bennie Goodman's band playing Sing Sing Sing, or A Tisket A Tasket.  As far as a recommended album, I don't have one that really stands out head and shoulders above the rest.

John Coltrane.  What can you say.  My favorite sax player is Sonny Rollins, but it's hard to ignore the influence of Coltrane.  My choice  for a starter is Giant Steps.

Miles Davis.   Another big influence pick.  Miles had a vary long career and recorded across so many styles.  He was not afraid to experiment.  Kind of Blue is a classic and you can't argue with it, but in my mind a close call with Birth of the Cool.

Charles Mingus.  Major composer and arranger for modern big band, defined as groups or 8 or more.  Ah Um is my choice. 

ReBirth Brass Band.  This is a representative of the New Orleans street corner band.  This is not the  Preservation Hall Band type of style.  This is the mobile band that gets hired for funerals etc.  If you can't march with the instrument, it doesn't make the cut. The instruments making up the band is modified a bit with Rebirth, but not by much.  They are not the most commercial brass band (The Dirty Dozen) or the most traditional, (Treme Brass Band) but I suggest The Main Event, Live at the Maple Leaf.  This is the stuff of Mardi Gras, the second line, and shake your butt jazz.

Charlie Parker.   BeBop is the start of taking jazz from dancing music to listening music, and the Bird was one of the best.  The Original Recordings of Charlie Parker is where I would start.

Herbie Hancock.  This is my final top ten pick.  Once again for influence on the music.  Head Hunters is my recommendation

After Thoughts

If you really get into the music.  I suggest getting a copy of the book, The All Music Guide to Jazz.  There are on line sources of information, but with the biographies, lists of recordings and essays this is the best source of information  My copy is 1425 pages long.  I don't believe can you get all this in one site on the Internet.

The Ken Burns series from PBS is worth the money in learning the history and how the influences blend.

I apologize for the length of this post.  Have at it with the disagreements.      

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 23
Interesting read. You said at the beginning of your post that you are also into Blues, but then there was no mention of it in the body of the post.

What would you recommend for a Blues beginner?

Right now I have;

BB King - Blues on the Bayou
BB King & Eric Clapton - Riding with the King
Wilson/Diesel - Short Cool Ones

Where should I go from here?

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 23

Excellent post!  

Can't really disagree with anything there, unlike you I *do* like Bitches Brew but consider Kind of Blue to be Miles' best (that and In a Silent Way).

One thing that jumped out at me about your list was the the newest album on there was recorded almost 40 years ago, so I tried to come up with a list of some great jazz influenced albums from the past 10 years. I think it's tough to turn younger people onto jazz if you only present them with recordings that were made 25 years or more before they were even born. Jazz should not be museum music! And I think it helps to have some more contemporary instrumentation brought into the mix as well. For some it may work better to pique their curiosity with something more current and let them work their way back to that which came before and influenced it. (Who knows what gets kids to listen to what these days though, my 16 year-old is a Bob Dylan fanatic). FWIW I was born in '59, the year both Kind of Blue and Time Out were released.

Now, purists may say that some of these aren't jazz, but I take a pretty wide view of what constitues jazz.  I think this is fair when one thinks of the many sub-genres of "pure" jazz out there - swing, dixieland, be-bop, modal, free-jazz, etc.  I don't want to debate what is and isn't jazz, so for my picks if there was a review on "All About Jazz", they fit the category :)  (links included here all point to that site).  All of these recordings regularly make it into my iPhone's playlist...

Joshua Redman - Momentum (2005).  I love Redman's "Elastic Band", which is a stripped down sax/organ/drums trio, and Sam Yahel's keyboard playing is really excellent. 

Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up (2005).  Epic in scope, I'm not surprised that Metheny has not reconvened the group since this effort - not quite sure how they would follow it up.

Mark Egan - As We Speak (2006).  A very tasty trio recording with fellow Metheny alumni Danny Gottleib on drums, and the always enjoyable John Abercrombie on guitar.

Mike Mainieri - Northern Lights (2006).  American vibraphonist Mainieri collaborates with a "who's who" of Nordic nu-jazz stars with wonderful results.

Eivind Aarset - Sonic Codex (2007).  Former Nils Petter Molvaer band sideman Eivind Aarset seems to make his guitar sound like everything except for a guitar.  His '98 debut "Electronique Noire" is a great CD as well.

Maria Schneider Orchestra - Sky Blue (2007).  Modern big-band music from a gifted composer/arranger, this is really beautiful stuff.

Pat Metheny - Day Trip (2008).  Nice straight ahead jazz trio with Metheny's impeccible guitar melodicism.

Various Artists - Miles from India (2008). A fascinating collaboration between numerous Davis band alumni and various Indian musicians.

Markus Stockhausen / Vladyslav Sendecki / Arild Andersen / Patrice Heral - Electric Treasures (2008).  This one is hard to really describe (ambient jazz?), but Stockhausen's trumpet playing is sublime.

Chick Corea & John McLaughlin - Five Peace Band (2009). Outstanding live double CD from two of the biggest names in jazz fusion.

John McLaughlin & the 4th Dimension - To The One (2010). McLaughlin's current touring band is killer, and this is a very strong recording with virtuoso performances all around.

Mathias Eick - Skala (2011). Electric but mellow and understated, Eick's sense of melody on the trumpet is superb.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 23
What, no Kenny G?

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:

Excellent post!  

Can't really disagree with anything there, unlike you I *do* like Bitches Brew but consider Kind of Blue to be Miles' best (that and In a Silent Way).

One thing that jumped out at me about your list was the the newest album on there was recorded almost 40 years ago, so I tried to come up with a list of some great jazz influenced albums from the past 10 years. I think it's tough to turn younger people onto jazz if you only present them with recordings that were made 25 years or more before they were even born. Jazz should not be museum music! And I think it helps to have some more contemporary instrumentation brought into the mix as well. For some it may work better to pique their curiosity with something more current and let them work their way back to that which came before and influenced it. (Who knows what gets kids to listen to what these days though, my 16 year-old is a Bob Dylan fanatic). FWIW I was born in '59, the year both Kind of Blue and Time Out were released.

Now, purists may say that some of these aren't jazz, but I take a pretty wide view of what constitues jazz. 

I've fallen in love with jazz since I got my HD25s - for the first time I'm hearing the subtleties that I need to appreciate the complexity and the "prat!" that the music needs to have emotional impact at the same time. I found it easy to research the classics I should listen to, but contemporary material is much harder. There seems to be a lack either of clarity or scope in ambition in a lot of modern jazz. It's too often pseudo-jazz - simplistic easy listening material by players who can't even improvise. Or post-modern - i.e. uncommitted to any definite sound. Or retro, trying to reproduce the sound of, say, Mile Davis around the time he recorded "Silent Way". I did come up with a couple of interesting leads this morning though:

>>>>>>>>>

http://www.economist.com/node/3499643?story_id=3499643

[size=1.3em] Among improvisers, it is hard to think of anyone more distinctive than Jan Garbarek, a Norwegian saxophonist who has permanently expanded the scope of jazz to include Nordic traditions. His moody themes have less to do with blues and swing than with mesmerising soundscapes that paint the northern lights and rock-bound coasts. “In Praise of Dreams” (ECM) is a rich, evocative mix, unusual for Mr Garbarek, of saxophones and synthesizer, plus viola and soft pulsing drums. Music to chill out by.[/size]

[size=1.3em] Unusual combinations of colour and effect were Duke Ellington's speciality. This year one of his most remarkable achievements, recorded in the 1950s, was re-released. While “Ellington Uptown” (Columbia/Legacy) features witty reworkings of ducal hits—“Take the ‘A' Train” with a bebop vocal, “Perdido” with a boogie beat—its crowning glory is “A Tone Parallel to Harlem”, Ellington's concert-length homage to his stamping ground. After a half-century, this remains a thrilling piece, and runs the scale of emotions from reverence to exaltation, all brilliantly executed by Ellington's elite corps of soloists.[/size]

[size=1.3em] Ellington was not only a master composer and leader, but also a tireless talent-spotter. One of his most impressive protégés is Abdullah Ibrahim, the South African pianist who used to be known as Dollar Brand.[/size]

[size=1.3em] Though inspired by Ellington's sumptuous harmonies, Mr Ibrahim's palette is very much his own, marked out by the exuberant, chant-like vigour of his native land. Such originals as “Ancient Cape” and “African Market Place” convey a deep communal energy, and his “A Celebration” (Enja), a compilation in honour of his 70th birthday, is aptly named. In various instrumental combinations, the CD features Mr Ibrahim on vocals, saxophone and bamboo flute as well as piano.[/size]

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 23
Eric 0531 - I'm right with ya!

Jazz is far larger than rock spanning many more decades.  The styles are very wide and diverse.  I have loved music my whole life but fell into a rut in my early 30's.  A friend intoduced me to Weather Report, Spyro Gyra and Rippingtons.  That was the perfect segway into jazz and I am listening to just about everything now but certainly lean towards more contemporary jazz.  I went from RUSH to being my favorite group to The Pay Metheny Group.  Once I understood the music, I realized how shallow my music pallette was.  Once I "got it" I was completely blown away by Pat Metheny Group stuff.  Can't say enough about it.

Just a few off the top of my head....Yellowjackets, (early) Rippingtons, Spyro Gyra, Josh Redman, Marcus Miller, Christian McBride, Ken Navarro, Dave Weckl Band, Stanley Clark, Jean Luc Ponty, Bruce Hornsby, David Sanchez, Antonio Sanchez, Dave Holland, ...just a few CONTEMPORARY jazz guys I really love.  Give it a shot.  If you are truly a music lover and have some patience, you will adore what these guys above have created.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 23
Thanks for the comments. I will have to think about a blues list. The blues did suffer much more from racial prejudice than jazz. So much of the early music is lost. It's almost if the blues were discovered in the 60's. Traditional artists started gettng more attention. The rock music I grew up with is heavy with the blues. Think Hendrix, Cream etc. Even C.C.R got into the act and recorded "The Midnight Special"

BB King is sort of a gateway artist into some of the more traditional blues of the North.  People who don't like the blues seem to like BB. For similar artists, I would look at Freddie King, Albert King, Otis Rush, Luther Allison as a start.

I had not really thought about the age of my selections. You are correct that the recordings except for the ReBirth Brass Band are older. I should think about some of the newer recordings. I very much agree that Jazz is a modern form of music that is continuing to evolve. However there something to be said for surviving the test of time. I suspect my list of current jazz would be quite different from yours. I lean towards a New Orleans influence. In fact sometimes I think I should move there. As for Kenny G, he is banished to my wife's car.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:

[size=1.3em] Among improvisers, it is hard to think of anyone more distinctive than Jan Garbarek, a Norwegian saxophonist who has permanently expanded the scope of jazz to include Nordic traditions. His moody themes have less to do with blues and swing than with mesmerising soundscapes that paint the northern lights and rock-bound coasts. “In Praise of Dreams” (ECM) is a rich, evocative mix, unusual for Mr Garbarek, of saxophones and synthesizer, plus viola and soft pulsing drums. Music to chill out by.[/size]

In Praise of Dreams is very good indeed.  There's something about these Nordic jazz players that speaks to me (maybe it's living in a similar latitude here in Seattle).  Ironically Garbarek does not consider his own music to be "jazz", at least that's what he said in an interview I heard from a BBC broadcast of a 2010 Barbican show.

The ECM label continues to put out great music, that's also who Mathias Eick records for.  Pianist Bobo Stenson's "Serenity" on ECM is another favorite of mine, very mellow "late night" music.

I also like saxophonist Tineke Postma from the Netherlands, her 2009 album "The Traveller" on the Etcetera NOW label is very enjoyable.

EDIT: it looks like the radio broadcast of the 2010 Barbican show by Garbarek I mentioned above is still an active torrent - highly recommended!
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=323324&hit=1

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 23
I'd add Fats Waller. He was one of the most skilled and influential piano players, a fantastic composer, and just plain fun. He's the equal of any on your list.

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:

Excellent post!  

Now, purists may say that some of these aren't jazz, but I take a pretty wide view of what constitues jazz.  I think this is fair when one thinks of the many sub-genres of "pure" jazz out there - swing, dixieland, be-bop, modal, free-jazz, etc.  I don't want to debate what is and isn't jazz, so for my picks if there was a review on "All About Jazz", they fit the category :)  (links included here all point to that site).  All of these recordings regularly make it into my iPhone's playlist...

Joshua Redman - Momentum (2005).  I love Redman's "Elastic Band", which is a stripped down sax/organ/drums trio, and Sam Yahel's keyboard playing is really excellent. 

Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up (2005).  Epic in scope, I'm not surprised that Metheny has not reconvened the group since this effort - not quite sure how they would follow it up.

Mark Egan - As We Speak (2006).  A very tasty trio recording with fellow Metheny alumni Danny Gottleib on drums, and the always enjoyable John Abercrombie on guitar.

Mike Mainieri - Northern Lights (2006).  American vibraphonist Mainieri collaborates with a "who's who" of Nordic nu-jazz stars with wonderful results.

Eivind Aarset - Sonic Codex (2007).  Former Nils Petter Molvaer band sideman Eivind Aarset seems to make his guitar sound like everything except for a guitar.  His '98 debut "Electronique Noire" is a great CD as well.

Maria Schneider Orchestra - Sky Blue (2007).  Modern big-band music from a gifted composer/arranger, this is really beautiful stuff.

Pat Metheny - Day Trip (2008).  Nice straight ahead jazz trio with Metheny's impeccible guitar melodicism.

Various Artists - Miles from India (2008). A fascinating collaboration between numerous Davis band alumni and various Indian musicians.

Markus Stockhausen / Vladyslav Sendecki / Arild Andersen / Patrice Heral - Electric Treasures (2008).  This one is hard to really describe (ambient jazz?), but Stockhausen's trumpet playing is sublime.

Chick Corea & John McLaughlin - Five Peace Band (2009). Outstanding live double CD from two of the biggest names in jazz fusion.

John McLaughlin & the 4th Dimension - To The One (2010). McLaughlin's current touring band is killer, and this is a very strong recording with virtuoso performances all around.

Mathias Eick - Skala (2011). Electric but mellow and understated, Eick's sense of melody on the trumpet is superb.

Esperanza Spalding and Robert Glapser come to mind as far as rising talents and ish produced in the last 10 or so years. David Holland's Hands (2010) is a phenomenal album. Charlie Haden Nocturne is superb.

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 23
It's almost if the blues were discovered in the 60's. Traditional artists started gettng more attention.

That may be true of popular recognition, but there's a wealth of pre-war Blues on record, and its influence was felt everywhere from the folk music of the Carters to the Texas swing of Bob Wills. The best Blues was pre-war blues.

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 23
I have a question on a live version of Blue Monk with Miles and Monk.  In about 8:30 to 8:40 you can hear background noise of people talking.  I could not find anything online on the two ever playing this song together.  So if any of you can help me out. Thanks.  

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 23
It might be this one.

Oops sorry, they don't play together on that album,

It looks as though they didn't play together that often. Attitude, from the sound of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back