Jazz favorites?
Sep 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by hayste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dexter Gordon - Go

2x…a fantastic record that doesn't get mentioned much around here.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 22
I've listened to a few of these, here are what I think:

Coltrane-Giant Steps: Excellent stuff, love it. The pace, the emotion, Coltrane is a God. Can't wait to hear it on my Grados (main rig is down ATM).

Mingus-Mingus Ah Um: Really great music, but not what I'm searching for. I need something a bit more frenetic. Actually, much more.

Sonny Rollins-Saxophone Colossus: More good music that I'll check out more extensively later. But still lacking that sense of energy.

Cannonball Adderly-Somethin' Else: Same feelings as the former 2 selections.

Davis-The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions: Marvelous stuff, Davis is an absolute genius. Sure, pace varies drastically (as it should with such an expansive set) but a lot of the recordings have what I'm looking for. Bass is so nice, really keeps things moving. I could listen to this all day.

If anyone can tailor a few more suggestions to my above impressions, I'd love to hear them. Of course, I'll do my best to get around to a lot of the records mentioned. Between this and the prog thread, I'm going to have a lot of work to do...

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #18 of 22
Based on your description, you seem to be caught between a couple likes. To use Giant Steps as an example, this was a transition period for Coltrane. His playing was getting freer, but he was still playing with a more swinging, bop-based rhythm section. So it kind of depends on whether you are more drawn to his freer playing or the bop of the rhythm section. Based on your comments on Davis, I'm guessing the later.

Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" may be the closest but, here are a couple suggestions of things I like in both directions that tend towards faster paced, frenetic playing:

Bop:
Diz & Bird
Sonny Stitt - Tune Up, Constellation

Freer:
Eric Dolphy - Far Cry, At the Five Spot
Charles Mingus - At Antebes (much more frantic than Ah Um) (allmusic ((( Mingus at Antibes > Overview ))))
David Ware - Live in the World (allmusic ((( Live in the World > Overview ))))

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mingus-Mingus Ah Um: Really great music, but not what I'm searching for. I need something a bit more frenetic. Actually, much more.

Fortunately, there's no right or wrong with these things…I've heard folks declare that stuff like Mingus's "Boogie Stop Shuffle" and "Bird Calls" is much too way out for them, which I've never quite understood, but…

Sounds like you should get through Miles and Coltrane before you move on…plenty of folks just stop there, which is OK, too.
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back