Jays Q-Jays vs Triple.Fi
May 12, 2008 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

FlavioWolff

500+ Head-Fier
Hello!
This may sound like an unfair match, I know both are in very different price ranges...
After thousands of hours reading about se530 vs triple.fi, i decided to go ultimate ears, for several reasons.
But I also read about the Q-Jays, and they attracted me because of the price and how tiny they are (as opposite of triple.fi).
How would you guys compare both in therms of SQ? Bass, mids, highs, ya know
smily_headphones1.gif

Ty!

May 12, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 23
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/er4...engthy-316629/

A review with q-jays by him. He also said that he loves the triple fis more than the q jays and his seach for an IEM is over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came from er-4p and q-jays and SA6.

Triples are the best so far. My journey is over!

May 12, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 23
THIS IS WHAT I WROTE ON THE SLEEK AUDIO SA6 THREADS.

I JUST COPIED AND PASTED. YOU WILL SEE WHY SA6 OWNER WAS BEATING ME WITH DISAGREE. (New toy syndrome?)

Warnig: VERY SUBJECTIVE COMPARISON/REVIEW. I AM NOT A PRO BUT ONE WHO REALLY LOVES MUSIC AS OTHER IN HERE.

Thank you for remebering me ClieOS! Yes I really liked the sweet-mid sound of SA6 in the beginning but for MSRP $240 they are OVERPRICED IMHO.

In my opinion, It's better to pay $80 dollars more for the Triples ($320) and just keep them and be in love with the sounds they reproduce (If they fit your ear comfortably). Therefore, you'll end up save more money, other than spending hundreds of dollars before you get to the high-end IEMs at the end.

I'll be happy until Westone 3 or something better comes out.

Before we talk about the price, I was comparing SA6 over 3 IEM, but one that made me think SA6 is overpriced was the q-Jays. The best sexy and sleek design(to me), smallest IEM in the world (for now), most comfortable(you can sleep with them laying down by side with no discomfort) dual driver at reasonable price $179.

q-Jays are more analytic and more accurate over SA6.
I can say that with confidence because I have been A-Bing them for a 2weeks. They also had very generous packages included for that price too!

For $50 dollar cheaper, better performance(in accuracy), better design(to me) and generous package, period.
icon10.gif

My opinion is very subjective, and your preference might vary, but I didn't find SA6 attractive over q-jays except pronounced mid frequency reproduction.

SA6 was performing well in Mid frequencies and they sound musical and warm and natural (like you are listening from concert or speakers) but it's due to different sound signature.
Sa6 mid is very forwarded and more like in your face, on the other hand, q-Jays mid department (Vocals, guitar string, etc) was kind of laid back and distant compared to SA6. However,that doesn't mean q-Jays are lacking in Mid department. They produce more accurate and ARTICULATE sounding than SA6 but q-Jays treble extesion is more pronounced than the mid.

I choose q-Jays over SA6 for sexier and simple look (they really look stealthy, you only see the wires coming out of your ears.), not only that but also q-jays produce cleaner seperation of instrument, and accurate and articulate presentation for the fast paced music like Rock, Trance, House ETC.

For those genre I mentioned above, q-Jays win by big margin since SA6 is veiled and muffled and mixed sounding when music gets busy, SA6 just simply get boomy. I think that's because of the limit of SA6, which is due to the single amarture driver design of SA6

I know people are saying more driver isn't better necessarily, but SA6 is only good and better for slow paced music like classical and Jazz to my ears. for $240? I'll choose q-jays over SA6 even though SA6 is more involving, musical (because of pronounced, inyourface-like Mid presentation)and wider sounding than the q-Jays but your mileage might vary.

The ER4-P is the king of accuracy, many of you might already know how they sound and there are alot of reviews so I don't need to mention about them but for the cheaper price than SA6(4month old) you can't go wrong with ER4-P(very old and you all know the good reputaion of them) except that they are little lacking in bass department (only in quantity).

Therefore, I didn't like the SA6's muffled sounds when music get's busy that's the main reason I let them go.

But also I really didn't like their cheesy chrome design, and they DO stick out of your ear like ER-4P so it's impossible to sleep with them unless you wanna drill your ear drums.

My Triple-fi by the way, for the price $320, I regret that I was spending unnecessary(or not since it's fun!!) money over the IEM journey.

They do sound perfect to my ear. sweetest spot that I can find for me.

Better Treble, better mid, better bass, better presentation, fuller sounding, wider sound stage(best among all of my IEM experience), sexy look(to me) and crazy seperation of instruments. They are simply amazing and giving me an eargasm all the time I put them on.

However we all know that the Triples are gigantic compared to other IEMs that I mentioned but they are very comfy and makes perfect seal with me even though I have very tiny ear canal. (I couldn't fit XXS sleeves of q-Jays, but foamies solved the problem)

I was very pleased with SA6 in the beginning, but they weren't just for my preference of music that I listen everyday. So after i get Triples, I let my q-jays and SA6 go. I sold q-Jays to one of the member here, I sent back SA6 to soundearphones.com

Well, I was very excited and also had good time with SA6, very unique and ingenious renovation of tuning. They are DEFINITELY not the FOTM I can say but they weren't just not my cup of tea.

I am just happy with my Triples, no regret after all.

My IEM journey is over for now!!
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 23
Oh! for your main concern in SQ, Triple is much louder at low volume.
wink.gif

When I was listening to q-Jays at low volume, music was not that involving so I had to pump up the volume more than 50% from my IPOD or Sansa Clip to enjoy the q-Jays.
redface.gif

For treble department, q-Jays have more energy than Triples.

q-Jays treble department is very accurate and articulate and extend to extreme. However, i mentioned that you have to pump up the volume to enjoy q-Jays right? so q-Jays treble might be too harsh or somewhat fatiguing depend on the source of music. q-Jays definitely need good quality of music file like 320kbps VBR or FLAC, etc.

Treble department of Triples are the best I heard so far. They extend very well but no sibilance at all, and they are very sweet to my ear. Very accurate, airy and articulate.

Mid department wise, they both are kind of recessed. (laid back compared to other spectrum) That doesn't mean they lack in mid area, they just feel farther than other spectrum like Trebles and Bass.

They are very accurate and articulate in this Mid department too, and I like the mid range like that (recessed a little) so they can have wider soundstage. I rather female vocal sing to me at the stage, not at my face close to my ear drum.
wink.gif

Triples win here by big margin again due to good, natural and balanced mid with the sweet high and bass. They are just perfect harmony. On the other hand, q-Jays super treble energy is somewhat ear-piercing and fatiguing sometimes, they are significantly pronounced than mid and bass.

When you compare Bass, Triples are much better period. they are accurate, punchy, deep, when you need boom they give you the boom but in accurate, airy and enjoyable way.

Triple are more in Quantity, and better at quality of the bass.

q-Jays bass has good quality too. It's very tight but it's like hard puch of jab so it hit you and disappear very quickly.

Soundstage of q-Jays are not bad for IEM, but Triples soundstage is way much wider, deeper and bigger.

q-Jays have narrow soundstage compared to Triple and they are inside of your head(head-stage). Depend on the music, you rarely experience the "out of head experience" with q-Jays.

Triple's soundstage is like open-headphone to me. They are out of your head most of the time, they have depth, height, and very wide. Triple are very reverbing accurately so it's like you are in the concert hall.

Which one is more musical? I definitley choose Triple over q-Jays.

I loved sexy sleek design of q-Jays (they are best designed IEM IMHO), and unparalleled comfort and small size. However you also have to keep in mind that q-Jays are very short in cable. Even though thay have extension cable comes with it, they are way too long with extension cable so they comes down to under your knee level. If you use your DAP inside your jacket pocket, they are perfect. but if you prefer to put your dap on your pants pocket, they are way too short without cable, they are way too long with extension.
frown.gif

q-Jays are all arounder IEM and they really shine when you need accurate phone under $200. ER4-P is really good phone and i still love them but they lack in the bass department.
q-Jays are very good with every genre, you will be shocked by it's crispy detail and small size and comfort.

However if you have money to spend, and if you want THE best SQ, just buy Triples so you don't have to return or sell your q-jays and then go to top end line like I did.

I wasted(?) alot of dollar while I am trying out all these IEMs, but I am happy now because i found my sweetest spot.

Your mileage might vary, and this post is very subjective.

I strongly recommend that you order Triples and q-Jays at the same time from Soundearphones.com like I did, and compare, AB them yourself and return one that you don't like.

If your budget is limited, go for q-Jays, they are worth their price tag for sure.

If I din't try out Triples, I would definitley keep the q-Jays.

But for me, SQ is more matter to me than a comfort.
rolleyes.gif

I hope my post helped you a bit in decision making
wink.gif

May 12, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 23
I think tyrion actually sold his SE530 after getting a pair of SA6. I, unlike JoyEnergizer, don't think TF10 is that much better than SA6 in all aspects (I am still looking for my perfect IEM btw). I think it is more about personal musical taste and preference of sound rather than any hard measurement in the end, and sadly, you can't always audition the SQ you are paying for before it is delivered to your door.

May 12, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think tyrion actually sold his SE530 after getting a pair of SA6. I, unlike JoyEnergizer, don't think TF10 is that much better than SA6 in all aspects (I am still looking for my perfect IEM btw). I think it is more about personal musical taste and preference of sound rather than any hard measurement in the end, and sadly, you can't always audition the SQ you are paying for before it is delivered to your door.

Woo~ it's you again ClieOS,
rolleyes.gif
you are always after SA6 and backing up and defend on them like their lawyer or something. (no offense
biggrin.gif
)
Your noble and hardworked opinions and informative review threads is very helpful always to me. I am enjoying them many time. I admit that you are very knowledgeable head-fier.

However, Like you said, I understand the SQ is very subjective, and I mentioned it up there, and also whenever I write about something like SQ, or review, etc
wink.gif
I know everyone has different preference of music and taste, and I do understand that factors.

I am not beating SA6 nor I am not saying SA6 is FOTM. I know SA6 is good sounding phone like I said in the SA6 thread, however, for my preference of music, they are way too veiled and boomy, sound fall apart when music gets busy. That's why i sent them back and choose Triples over SA6.

I want to hear what I wanna hear when music is pouring to my ear drum.

I know there are many head-fiers who are satisfied with SA6, and I was also very satisfied with every sound spectrums of SA6 like clear, non fatiguing treble, very sweet and pronounced mid, nice amount of bass with nice soundstage. But I think their design is corny and ugly (very subjective of course), and single amarture driver limit that I mentioned above (music fall apart and mixed up so I can't seperate the music when they get busy) is the only and BIG reason for me to stay away from it ( i know this can be a very subjective too).

I am old enough to understand what subjective and objective means. I am just providing my humble and very subjective opinions here so it might help a little to fellow head-fiers.

Well, this thread was about q-Jays and Triples, and i was giving him my very subjective humble opinion because he PMed me.
biggrin.gif

Those comparison thing on the top, like i said, I copied and pasted.

Please go listen to your music instead of protecting your beloved phone when it's just very subjective thing. no offense, no need to be upset IMHO
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 23
i think that the SA6 fans will blow over, dont get me wrong, its a great IEM, but we had the same with the atrios and the C700, that at first seemed like the best thing since sliced bread and ciggarette box sized amps, but as time passed and impressions were exchanged, each headphone was put in perspective towards others,

i think that the SA6 is widly overpriced for a single armature headphone, and that the recent increase in price for the jays due to the weaker dollar has pulled them from that nice "best sub $200 IEM' s out there" spot to a harsh place where they have to compete with iems which might be superior,

May 12, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and that the recent increase in price for the jays due to the weaker dollar has pulled them from that nice "best sub $200 IEM' s out there" spot to a harsh place where they have to compete with iems which might be superior,

Everywhere I've looked they're still 180...
They're more expensive on the Jays site because they want you to go through retailers if you're in America IIRC...

May 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 23
Sorry for the long time showing up here!
JoyEnergizer, thank you very much for your words and comparisons, even subjective they are of extreme help.
I think I've already made my IEM desision, it's kinda simple: If I actually have the budget (daddy doesnt know about my $300~350 wishes yet :p), I'll go for Triples. It is an IEM that pleases 8 out of 10 people who tried it, when SE530 pleases 6 out of 10, something like that.
If daddy doesn't approve Triple's price, I'll go for Q-Jays for sure. $200 is perfectly acceptable for him, and It is a godly IEM for the price, from what I have read.

Another question, Joy: Like me, you have a 5.5gen iPod and a Sound Blaster desktop: how would you compare Triples and Q-Jays with both sources (unamped)? They will be my main sources. Ok, I have a X-Fi and not an Audigy, but it's not that different...
I have noticed GREAT difference on bass department with my Sony MDR-EX90... I can EQ and tune and pump the bass to the max on my soundcard, and my IEM will just throw me what I ask, boomy and deeply.. no distortions!
But when I try a simple Bass Boost on my iPod, bass will crack and distort!. And with no EQ, bass is just gone.
How is triple and q-jays performance on both sources?
Thanks VERY much!

May 13, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo~ it's you again ClieOS,
rolleyes.gif
you are always after SA6 and backing up and defend on them like their lawyer or something. (no offense
biggrin.gif
)

None taken, and I am not here to defend SA6 but only to offer my point of view. I think I posted on another thread (yours maybe?) that I do think TF10 is better 'overall', but not in ever aspect. I do want to point out is, as you has also pointed out, it is all personal choice and therefore the OP should take everything we said with a grain of salt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that the SA6 fans will blow over, dont get me wrong, its a great IEM, but we had the same with the atrios and the C700, that at first seemed like the best thing since sliced bread and ciggarette box sized amps, but as time passed and impressions were exchanged, each headphone was put in perspective towards others,

i think that the SA6 is widly overpriced for a single armature headphone, and that the recent increase in price for the jays due to the weaker dollar has pulled them from that nice "best sub $200 IEM' s out there" spot to a harsh place where they have to compete with iems which might be superior,

I certainly don't think SA6 is the best thing ever, especially after I received my RE1 - that is what I currently consider to be the best IEM deal in sub $200 category. It costs only $150 now, and you can get an good portable amp for another $150 or so - with that, you have a package that is on par with TF10's SQ and price point. The best thing about this is, when you upgrade your 'phone later, you don't need to worry about getting an amp since you already have one. It is a overall better deal in my eye than getting a TF10.

May 13, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 23
I never audition a Total Airhead before, so I can't comment how well it will be with RE1. However, if I want to pair an amp with RE1, I'll look for one that is slightly on the bright side. My Practical Device (AD8620) is pretty good with RE1, I believe antonyfirst is using a minibox (don't know if it is a minibox-E or D) and his seems to be happy with it too.

I won't say amped RE1 will beat unamped TF10, but they are very close in SQ, just different in sound signature (and I don't find TF10 to benefit much from amping).

May 13, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 23
I really dont see too much of a point wearing an amp obrigatoried IEM, if its not portable at all (by portable I mean running, walking and using with something in your pocket) I should go straight on full-sized headphones... since ill be already getting an amp.
I can get AKG K601 or K701 with an Airhead for the price of triple.fis. But they will not be portable.

May 13, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really dont see too much of a point wearing an amp obrigatoried IEM, if its not portable at all (by portable I mean running, walking and using with something in your pocket) I should go straight on full-sized headphones... since ill be already getting an amp.
I can get AKG K601 or K701 with an Airhead for the price of triple.fis. But they will not be portable.

You can get a K701 and amp for the same as TF10? Blimey....How much are TF10 where you are?

ps 'obrigatoried'? Sorry, no comprende.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back