Jays q-JAYS & s-JAYS, Prototype impressions
May 6, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #121 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got this PM from duke_of_eli. I hope it's ok to quote you
smily_headphones1.gif

The s-JAYS are just; wow. That Sirens technology is working wonders. The first thing you notice is the soundstage. I felt as if I was wearing a full-sized headphone like my SR-60s. It was surreal. I've never heard soundstage like that right off the bat before in an IEM (actually, they're more like a canalphone like the j-JAYS, but I guess the final enclosure is subject to change). Just amazing. My only knocks so far on them is that the mids are a bit muddy and the highs roll off a bit more than I'm used to. But at the price point of the j-JAYS and with this soundstage, they're just amazing. More to come!

Very interesting technology and I agree 100%. The biggest soundstage I have heard from earphones was the canalphone design(FX55). Except that the FX55 was close to the K401 in soundstage, way bigger than the SR60. My modded SF 3's soundstage is about two-thirds as large as my CD780's which is still a bit bigger sounding than the SR60's.

I remember when I used to be walking outside with my FX55's and it was like I had my own personal soundtrack. The music was coming from so far away it seemed. It was surreal. I remember looking skyward alot like it came from the heavens. If anybody was watching me I probably looked like a dork. I hope to get that again but with better SQ.

Kudos to JAYS for there excellent work so far. Incorporating new technology, excellent size and comfort, good price points, nice cable options, and some fashion colors coming. Keep up the good work!

May 6, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #122 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aidanael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boy !! I think I already love the s-JAYS.
Kramer5150, how would you compare the s-JAYS to your Yuin earbuds ?

Similar in quickness, snappiness and detail resolution. Being an earbud the yuins still have a wider soundstage, but the s-JAYS have a slightly stronger center-stage image, yet still can throw sounds right and left field if the recording calls for it.

Both have a similar low-bass rolloff.

The s-JAYS have a little more upper midrange flair and coloration... thats hard to describe. Its a slight boost in frequency, but additionally some time domain based elements too (possibly some resonance?). Focused around 2-6khz. Its slightly different than the Grado upper midrange flair which extends a bit higher across the midrange spectrum... 3500-6500Hz.

This particular prototype is all metal design. If I tap on the enclosure, the resonance of the metal corresponds very closely to the frequency of the midrange coloration. So I think you guys might be able to tweek the sound with some acoustic tuning and damping materials (?). Heck... its a prototype right? Mock up some out of carbon fiber and wood!! THAT would be cooool.... a woody IEM! You guys would have totally unique product. (realistically though that might knock it up out of your targeted price range)

No doubt the s-jays are a different sounding canalphone. They are colored for sure, in a groovy-fun kind of way. If I dial in ~3-4 db boost below 100Hz on my foobar EQ... Ooh nice.

I am finding them a little hard to drive cleanly. They are VERY sensitive and low impedance, a difficult combination for most mid-gain amplifier circuits to drive. My Sweetpig audio amp is my lowest gain amp circuit, and I detect a little hiss, even with the low gain setting. My creative MuVo also gets a tiny bit of hiss between tracks. If you can increase the impedance a little I think it would be easier to drive cleanly with most MP3 players and portable amps. I think the q-jays at 40 ohms are perfect... highly sensitive, yet high enough impedance to avoid amp hiss.

May 6, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #124 of 523
Quote:

I got this PM from duke_of_eli. I hope it's ok to quote you
smily_headphones1.gif

The s-JAYS are just; wow. That Sirens technology is working wonders. The first thing you notice is the soundstage. I felt as if I was wearing a full-sized headphone like my SR-60s. It was surreal. I've never heard soundstage like that right off the bat before in an IEM (actually, they're more like a canalphone like the j-JAYS, but I guess the final enclosure is subject to change). Just amazing. My only knocks so far on them is that the mids are a bit muddy and the highs roll off a bit more than I'm used to. But at the price point of the j-JAYS and with this soundstage, they're just amazing. More to come!

No problem Peter, happy to share.

With further listening, I'll agree with Kramer5150 that there is a bit of a bass roll-off. Although mine are only burned in maybe 5-6 hours (the new d-JAYS are sucking up my white noise now). The s-JAYS are still WAY pre-production, as the disclaimer sticker on the cord aply states: "s-JAYS masked design, only for sound evaluation, strictly confidential". Take that as you wish. So that's what me and Kramer are working with the Jens of Sweden people (notably Peter) to make a more polished final product for y'all.

Right now they're good, but they have the potential for more. I like what I hear, but sometimes there's a bit of "air"-i-ness to songs caused by the "mid-range flare", as Kramer5150 aptly states. I've yet to do real sound evaluations with eq-ing and such, I still want to put another 25 hours on them and get my Alien DAC.

Are they better than the d-JAYS or even q-JAYS? No. At least not now. The soundstaging is wonderful, but the detail and extension in the upper and lower frequencies on both of those headphones trumps the s-JAYS. And while there is still tweaking to be done, for a 50$ headphone, vs. a 100$ and 170$ headphone, it's hard to argue with an amazing soundstage.

I'm currently listening to Dave Matthews Band's Old Dirt Hill, which sounds quite smooth and balanced. But switching to Rammstein or the Lord of the Rings soundtrack still brings back that "airy" sound, especially in the latter. But then again, the Lord of the Rings soundtrack to me is one of the hardest CDs for any headphone setup because of the detailed interlacing of woodwinds, brass, strings and percussion. I've yet to hear an IEM that can reproduce it perfectly like something like an RS-1 can.

More later guys. It's still exciting.

May 6, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #126 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are they better than the d-JAYS or even q-JAYS? No. At least not now. The soundstaging is wonderful, but the detail and extension in the upper and lower frequencies on both of those headphones trumps the s-JAYS. And while there is still tweaking to be done, for a 50$ headphone, vs. a 100$ and 170$ headphone, it's hard to argue with an amazing soundstage.

x2....

They're good for a first-run proto. But there's still work to be done for me to consider them in the same league as the other two. Agree completely.... open them up more at the ends of the spectrum, especially the bass. They are a bit heavy in the mids, at least on a first impression.

I'm burning them in on a mike portnoy drum solo. I'll give them ~80 hours on mikes Tama kick-drums before I post anything further.

May 7, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #129 of 523
hello Peter, i just did a quick xe.com check and 99$ usd equals 109.something Canadian but the reseller in Toronto sells for 139$ the d-jay. Is there any way not to pay that extra 30$? Perhaps when I visit sweden, a cheaper vendor? 30$ over the msrp is quite tough...

May 8, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #132 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello Peter, i just did a quick xe.com check and 99$ usd equals 109.something Canadian but the reseller in Toronto sells for 139$ the d-jay. Is there any way not to pay that extra 30$? Perhaps when I visit sweden, a cheaper vendor? 30$ over the msrp is quite tough...

d-JAYS costs 109USD in Sweden. The price is different depending on different taxes in the countries. 99USD is pretax.

Funkmonkey:If someone has good ears and good capability to describe pros and cons then we are always looking for new ones.

May 8, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #133 of 523
Quote:

Funkmonkey:If someone has good ears and good capability to describe pros and cons then we are always looking for new ones.

Keen tester here in New Zealand
biggrin.gif
and I could definitely spread the word about your company and products in this part of the world!! ...Good sound is appreciated anywhere right?

I know my ears are working...and I'm pretty good at English so I can "describe" the sound to you well, although not in technical terms with all the specific frequencies etc. like kramer does. Real world testing though - see how your products can take the knocks of active lifestyle.
wink.gif

Not the most experienced in terms of variety of phones I have used, but hey, I visit head-fi everyday...so you can be sure of committment.
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #134 of 523
Quote:

d-JAYS costs 109USD in Sweden. The price is different depending on different taxes in the countries.

$139 is actually pretax here in Canada

May 8, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #135 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$139 is actually pretax here in Canada

which is expensive... 30$ over the price for sweden or states... i think ill ship them in and then save money

that said, i would love to test prototypes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back