Jays q-JAYS, First look, Production level !!
Aug 20, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 205
Man those look tiny. Are you sure they are dual driver? If I didn't have a set of Livewires on the way then I would have been well on my way ordering a pair of these.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 205
So the cat's out of the bag.
wink.gif
IMHO, the ER4 wins when it comes to details but does so at the cost of listening fatigue, something I haven't experienced even once with the q-JAYS (knock on wood, though I'm not sure I need to :p), which is still very detailed. I felt the soundstage (maybe "imaging" is more correct?) of the ER4 and the q-JAYS is quite different. Whereas the ER4 is perhaps wider, it's also more towards 2D, "instruments lined up on a long string" (this is a bit extreme but you get the point), the q-JAYS is a tad narrower but has more "3D" depth. Those who are wary of getting the ER4 but still want a detailed sound with a bit more bass and more prominent mids (both compared to the ER4) should at least try the q-JAYS, IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 205
Nice review, those q-Jays look pretty cool, as well as small.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 205
btw, i was supposed to ask earlier but, the US price is $180, but i live in the EU (spain to be exact), whats the european price ?
last time i checked, 1 euro was around $1.35, that should set them around 135-140 euros,

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #21 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by blipmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the cat's out of the bag.
wink.gif
IMHO, the ER4 wins when it comes to details but does so at the cost of listening fatigue, something I haven't experienced even once with the q-JAYS (knock on wood, though I'm not sure I need to :p), which is still very detailed.

No listening fatigue, eh? Does that translate (I hope) to them being free from harshness and sibilance? I know I sound like a broken record with this stuff, but it's one of those things I find monumentally important with headphones...so every new pair begs the same old question...
etysmile.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #22 of 205
I've listened to the prototypes for several days in a row, 10 or 11.5 hrs in a row with a 45min lunch break in the middle, not a trace of sibilance, no fatigue actually I didn't want to stop listening but I had to drive home each day after work and maintain a marriage... In my fairly limited experience with IEM's these are the best. I actually like them so much I will probably buy another set so both my wife and I can listen on an upcoming flight to Japan. And I came to head-fi wanting to spend $50 on a decent set of buds...

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #23 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No listening fatigue, eh? Does that translate (I hope) to them being free from harshness and sibilance? I know I sound like a broken record with this stuff, but it's one of those things I find monumentally important with headphones...so every new pair begs the same old question...
etysmile.gif

I for one do not find them harsh.

BUMP for video reviews.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #24 of 205
Whoah. I didn't know if Peter wanted us to post stuff yet. I had a video done and pictures too. But I guess the pictures now are redundant.

Here's my video on youtube of unboxing:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RTBj9QPn1aQ

Edit: beat you to the punch for once Garrett!
icon10.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoah. I didn't know if Peter wanted us to post stuff yet. I had a video done and pictures too. But I guess the pictures now are redundant.

icon10.gif

Nice vid, really shows how well the packaging is done.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #27 of 205
I know. It's digital-camera movie. For a better quality video, check out the first post in this thread.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #28 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon10.gif

LOL I didn't know we were racing each other
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
Yeah Peter sent an email on Friday, before he left for a little vacation. His only requirement is to try and keep them fairly high-res.

I think you should still post your impressions though, or at least highlight some of the points you disagree with me.

Hasta!!
tongue.gif

Cool vid... I should have done that, but I couldn't wait for my cam-battery to charge so I just opened them up.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #29 of 205
Will get that up for this weekend. Gotta revive my ipod first. I also like the white better for some reason. I finally have my rig set up, so listening is coming.

Uh oh. Fairly high-res? I guess that counts. It's not that bad apart from lettering.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #30 of 205
Now, having watched both video reviews, both are very well done (aside from lettering).

Don't know if I should go for white or black. Black is lower profile, but white might match my rig better... If you can call it that.

Hoping to get 5.5G =>Lineout=>Tomahawk=>q-JAYS by end of next winter for a good portable rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back