JAYS by Jens Nylander
Jun 4, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #16 of 68
Looks great! I am seriously considering these as a cheaper alternative to my UE-10 Pros!
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Nylander

(...) we have an industrial design team which is well-known in Scandinavia

concept2007JAYS.jpg

These comments we belive is the most important in our future development.

Jens Nylander

Hello Jens,

I'm waiting for the «some assembly required».....
wink.gif

Amicalement

PS. Dont forget to make the cable with a little more right angle....

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #18 of 68
Sit tight fellas!! Im reviewing a first off- prototype now.

I believe I have the ONLY pair in North America in my happy little paws.
icon10.gif

Garrett

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

icon10.gif

Garrett

Geesh, what are they doing in your paws?

Get them in your ears and start reviewing them! Now!
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #20 of 68
Quote:

icon10.gif

Garrett

Aw I see. That's why you were emailing him and stuff.
wink.gif

What can you tell us right now?
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 68
How do they compare to the mid-priced universal IEM's in the market (UM2's, SF Pro 5, E5, E4, ER4, etc.)? Good to find out one of our bay area head-fiers have gotten a hand in the testing of this product.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #24 of 68
OK everyone, Here are my final D-Jays impressions
biggrin.gif

Sources Used:
Creative Muvo TX
Creative Nomad Jukebox
Sony D335
Sony D223
Magnavox AZ 6816, 6833, 6811

Of all my portable amps I found the pimeta and govibe II sound the best with the D-jays. My mints also sounded good, but these amps are high gain circuits that aren't suited for low impedence loads.

Small... VERY small!! About the size of a chicklets gum.
Nice low profile, they fit inside my ears. I can lie ON them at night when I sleep.
GREAT symmetric "Y" cord.
Comfortable soft silicone tips, I can wear them for hours at a time (something I can't do with my shure e2c).
Very ipod Looking... Like an AKG K701

Sonic Impressions:

I've had them for several days now commuting around the Cisco campus and in the office.

Smooth. Balanced. Accurate with gently rolled off treble and low bass. Bass is tight and well defined across the spectrum. Vocals and solo instruments project nicely, without being harsh and certainly do not fatigue. Good treble extension too compared to the e2c, which we all know has severely rolled off treble. Very good spectral balance. Spectrally, similar to an MS1, with less bass-bloat and bass-impact. Not particularly bright or dark, and doesn't seem to emphasize or drastically attenuate any particular frequency bands. The fore-mentioned treble and low-bass seem to roll off at the ends of the spectrum, push midrange sounds forward. Midrange detail and refinement are its strong point. Mids are foreword, dynamic and detailed, yet not harsh and certainly do not fatigue in any way.

Clarity and instrument separation are another strong point. Particularly with acoustic guitars. Very good clarity for an isolating IEM in this price range. Clearly superior to the shure e2c from a clarity standpoint.

There are times it sounded a little bass-shy, but my ears have been conditioned to Grados and various Koss phones, which are known for having a good amount of bass excess. The D-Jayes are very versatile with EQ settings. On some tracks I found myself dialing in 2-3 db of bass boost below ~150Hz. Overall they handled my EQ tweeks very well, with no signs of clipping, distortion or “distress”.

It also isolates very well, although its isolation seems to be somewhat frequency dependent. It completely blocks ambient noise below ~5000hz. Sounds like a running water faucet, passing wind from cars, and my keyboard as I type this leak through just a little, although they are significantly attenuated. IMHO this is probably the result of the silicone tips. I'm willing to bet foam-tips would completely seal outside noise across the spectrum , for listeners who want to be completely isolated from the ambient world.

**EDIT**
One more thing to note... the D-Jays is a revealing phone too. It doesn't muffle and recess treble. It is a low impedence, high sensitivity IEM.... so well designed amplification (note I didn't say expensive) is a must. My higher gain amps are far too hissy for these IEMs. I have some mints and a little dot micro that work very well with my high impedence phones, but just are not suited for sensitive IEMs. I found my pimeta and govibe synnergize very well with the D-Jays IEM.

Comfort and design:

Great Job on the ergonomics!!! Nice soft tips that don't exert much pressure on my ear canals. Compared to my shure e2c, the D-Jays are MUCH more comfortable. The e2c feels like a cork jammed in my ear, since they really exert a lot of pressure and they make my ear canals itch after ~45 minutes. Its nice how the D-Jays cord doesn't loop around the back of my ear. It makes ear insertion very easy, since you just let the wire hang loose.

They are really small too and don't stick out at all. I can physically lie down on them at night, something I cant do with my Sony EX90, EX51, or Shure e2c.

The symmetric "Y" cord is VERY nice. I don't like the lop-sided cord design of my EX90 and EX51.

I know some of you have asked for pics. But I have been asked to hold off on posting pics, since the prototype has a different strain relief design. The prototype also had some glue visible, so cosmetically they aren't really an accurate representation of the production model. Jays will have a formal press release later, with pics, accessory information, ordering information and other goodies.

Stay Tuned!!
Garrett

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
How do they compare to the mid-priced universal IEM's in the market (UM2's, SF Pro 5, E5, E4, ER4, etc.)? Good to find out one of our bay area head-fiers have gotten a hand in the testing of this product.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats a good question... I have only heard the e5 briefly of those on that list and that was 2 years ago, so I dont really feel qualified to comment further. The D-Jays IEM is much cheaper than any of those. I think its targeted more for the e2c, er6 market.

Garrett

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #26 of 68
You know I don't own any IEM's, maybe I should change that.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #27 of 68
Comfortable, balanced sound, good isolation, a MS-1 comparison, low price... I smell a FOTM...

A question I'm sure will be asked sooner or later: how do they sound unamped? And is there a significant difference between amped and unamped usage?

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
Comfortable, balanced sound, good isolation, a MS-1 comparison, low price... I smell a FOTM...

A question I'm sure will be asked sooner or later: how do they sound unamped? And is there a significant difference between amped and unamped usage?

They are pretty revealing... so good amplification is required to get the most transients and dynamics out of them. Although thats relative to my weak unamped portable sources.

I found my govibe with a 2227 synnergizes better than my little dot micro, PA2V2, and mints, all of which are too high gain.

Its a different kind of sound... smoothly rolling off at the ends of the spectrum. I imagine the bassheads would find it a bit boring. The D-Jays doesn't have the muddy bloat of the EX51, koss plug and other consumer-grade canalphones I've tried. I think the govibe/2227 combo helps out in this regard. IMHO this amp seems to energize things and add "something" to the ends of the spectrum.

I dont know if it would be a FOTM, We'll just have to wait and see!!... IEM seem to be a Love-Hate kind of thing. I mean it still is an IEM, so it still is very "in your head" sounding compared to a full sized can. Just like every other IEM I have tried. Although it does convey a very nice "head-stage", for an IEM in this price range.

Certainly if youre looking for a ~$100 can, need isolation and portability, it should be on your list.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #30 of 68
Quote:

OK everyone, Here are my final D-Jays impressions
biggrin.gif

Sources Used:
Creative Muvo TX
Creative Nomad Jukebox
Sony D335
Sony D223
Magnavox AZ 6816, 6833, 6811

Of all my portable amps I found the pimeta and govibe II sound the best with the D-jays. My mints also sounded good, but these amps are high gain circuits that aren't suited for low impedence loads.

Small... VERY small!! About the size of a chicklets gum.
Nice low profile, they fit inside my ears. I can lie ON them at night when I sleep.
GREAT symmetric "Y" cord.
Comfortable soft silicone tips, I can wear them for hours at a time (something I can't do with my shure e2c).
Very ipod Looking... Like an AKG K701

Sonic Impressions:

I've had them for several days now commuting around the Cisco campus and in the office.

Smooth. Balanced. Accurate with gently rolled off treble and low bass. Bass is tight and well defined across the spectrum. Vocals and solo instruments project nicely, without being harsh and certainly do not fatigue. Good treble extension too compared to the e2c, which we all know has severely rolled off treble. Very good spectral balance. Spectrally, similar to an MS1, with less bass-bloat and bass-impact. Not particularly bright or dark, and doesn't seem to emphasize or drastically attenuate any particular frequency bands. The fore-mentioned treble and low-bass seem to roll off at the ends of the spectrum, push midrange sounds forward. Midrange detail and refinement are its strong point. Mids are foreword, dynamic and detailed, yet not harsh and certainly do not fatigue in any way.

Clarity and instrument separation are another strong point. Particularly with acoustic guitars. Very good clarity for an isolating IEM in this price range. Clearly superior to the shure e2c from a clarity standpoint.

There are times it sounded a little bass-shy, but my ears have been conditioned to Grados and various Koss phones, which are known for having a good amount of bass excess. The D-Jayes are very versatile with EQ settings. On some tracks I found myself dialing in 2-3 db of bass boost below ~150Hz. Overall they handled my EQ tweeks very well, with no signs of clipping, distortion or “distress”.

It also isolates very well, although its isolation seems to be somewhat frequency dependent. It completely blocks ambient noise below ~5000hz. Sounds like a running water faucet, passing wind from cars, and my keyboard as I type this leak through just a little, although they are significantly attenuated. IMHO this is probably the result of the silicone tips. I'm willing to bet foam-tips would completely seal outside noise across the spectrum , for listeners who want to be completely isolated from the ambient world.

**EDIT**
One more thing to note... the D-Jays is a revealing phone too. It doesn't muffle and recess treble. It is a low impedence, high sensitivity IEM.... so well designed amplification (note I didn't say expensive) is a must. My higher gain amps are far too hissy for these IEMs. I have some mints and a little dot micro that work very well with my high impedence phones, but just are not suited for sensitive IEMs. I found my pimeta and govibe synnergize very well with the D-Jays IEM.

Comfort and design:

Great Job on the ergonomics!!! Nice soft tips that don't exert much pressure on my ear canals. Compared to my shure e2c, the D-Jays are MUCH more comfortable. The e2c feels like a cork jammed in my ear, since they really exert a lot of pressure and they make my ear canals itch after ~45 minutes. Its nice how the D-Jays cord doesn't loop around the back of my ear. It makes ear insertion very easy, since you just let the wire hang loose.

They are really small too and don't stick out at all. I can physically lie down on them at night, something I cant do with my Sony EX90, EX51, or Shure e2c.

The symmetric "Y" cord is VERY nice. I don't like the lop-sided cord design of my EX90 and EX51.

I know some of you have asked for pics. But I have been asked to hold off on posting pics, since the prototype has a different strain relief design. The prototype also had some glue visible, so cosmetically they aren't really an accurate representation of the production model. Jays will have a formal press release later, with pics, accessory information, ordering information and other goodies.

Stay Tuned!!
Garrett

Well, I do need a low profile IEM anyway, so I might be the guinea pig for the german market.
I've recently sold the E5s due to comfort issues (and too much bass for my tastes).Seems these thingies are more comfortable.
I don't expect wonders from a $100 IEM, but some requirements are mandatory:
1) Comfort is naturally somewhat dependant on the individual anatomy, but nevertheless some designs are more prone to be a pain in the ear channel than others.Kramer5150s findings in this regard are promising.
2) Sound quality has to be on par with the cheap KSC 75/PX 100 and the like without a dedicated portable amp.I could alway schlepp around DAP, amp and full sized closed cans whenever I have a desire for outstanding SQ on the go, but IEMs are about ultraportability and low profile as far as I'm concerned, and that's the sole reason why I'm willing to pay more for the same sound quality.
3) Cable has to be of a low microphonic type.I couldn't stand the highly microphonic cable of the Etymotics.The Shures were o.k. in this regard.Any comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back