Jaybird X3 vs Bose Soundsport Wireless
Jan 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #31 of 70
I purchased the Jaybird X3 at BestBuy and returned it after I tested the Bose Soundsport Wireless at the Bose outlet. The Soundsport Wireless sounds way better than the X3.

What about the sound did you like better? Which EQ were you using with the X3 when testing? I did the exact opposite -- returned the Bose for the X3.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #32 of 70
The high frequencies of the X3 is definitely less refined and extended than the Bose. The X3 seems to have a treble spike around 6-8kHz region which can sound harsh on some recording. I simply can't stand the stock EQ presets of the X3 and decided to customize my own EQ from scratch (from totally flat EQ) but I soon found out that no matter what I do, there's no way I can extend the high frequencies. I can boost the X3's high frequencies to thy kingdom come but the highs sound totally unnatural and unextended compared to the stock Bose Soundsport Wireless without any EQ. FYI extended treble frequency is not the same as boosted highs because you can't boost the frequencies that is not there in the first place. That alone is the deciding factor for me although I prefer the form factor and the battery life of the X3. Another deciding factor why I chose the Bose is because of the transient dynamics of the Bose which is way better than the X3. Bottom line is that sound quality is my personal priority and that is my benchmark for all my audio equipment purchase. Everything else comes second.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #33 of 70
I had been looking at both of these in ear headphones and ended up getting the X3's because of the different options for fits in ear and the price. I like having the feeling of them actually going into my ear and feeling secure. After using them abit, i'm not sure they are the right comfort for me. I have the smallest tips and wings but it feels like pressure in my ears and I become fatigued easily wearing them. I know Bose is known for comfort for their over the ear headphones, but how are the soundsports?

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #34 of 70
  I had been looking at both of these in ear headphones and ended up getting the X3's because of the different options for fits in ear and the price. I like having the feeling of them actually going into my ear and feeling secure. After using them abit, i'm not sure they are the right comfort for me. I have the smallest tips and wings but it feels like pressure in my ears and I become fatigued easily wearing them. I know Bose is known for comfort for their over the ear headphones, but how are the soundsports?

Check out the Bose, then. They fit better than a traditional IEM but you do notice the weight of the units. They are gigantic compared to the X3.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #35 of 70

I've owned both the Jaybird X3 and the Bose Soundsport Wireless and I must say that the Bose is very comfortable and fits well in my ear. For me, it was the Bose's sound quality that was the deciding factor so I returned the X3.

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #37 of 70
What do you like about the bose sound comparatively to the jaybirds?

The high frequencies of the Bose Soundsport Wireless is smoother and yet more detailed. It lets you dig into the finer details of the music. The transient response of the Bose is also way better especially with percussive instruments like drums, percussion, plucked instruments etc. that has fast transient attack that portrays more realistic dynamics. The bass of the Bose is nice and tight with good punch yet not as overly accentuated as the Jaybird X3 therefore sounding more natural for me. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #38 of 70
The high frequencies of the Bose Soundsport Wireless is smoother and yet more detailed. It lets you dig into the finer details of the music. The transient response of the Bose is also way better especially with percussive instruments like drums, percussion, plucked instruments etc. that has fast transient attack that portrays more realistic dynamics. The bass of the Bose is nice and tight with good punch yet not as overly accentuated as the Jaybird X3 therefore sounding more natural for me. 

I ended up picking up the soundsports and I like them so much better then the X3's. Everything from the fit to the comfort to the design and the sound. I thought I wouldn't like the sound since everyone kind of craps on them (or use to) but I love them. Just wish they had as good as battey as the x3's

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #39 of 70
  My only worry with Jaybirds is the fail rate. Amount of people whose Jaybirds failed in my personal circle is high. They well built and great battery and over-all fitting in ear but i totally depressed with their fail rate.

They say life time warranty, but post 1 failure its only 1 year warranty on the exchanged headphone.

I went for J-lab Epic and I find them sound wise comparable and better in battery life.

I bought the Best Buy Geek Squad Warranty for 30 bucks (it was like 10 bucks a few years ago).

I would definitely recommend it. I had one bad pair and first time I sent to Jaybird. When it happened again (months later) I just returned to Best Buy and used my warranty.

My X2's just died, so i'm going to use the warranty to go up to X3 (they don't carry X2 anymore, so they will automatically upgrade you to the next closest model).

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #40 of 70
I've been using the Jaybird's for about 3 years now. I can't believe how far Bluetooth Headphone's have come. From 2009-2011 I was using my Motorola S9's. Having wireless earphones for workouts was amazing. I upgraded to the S11 Flex "HD". The sound quality was fantastic compared to the S9's, but it was so flimsy it kept falling apart. I had to keep using tape to keep it stable and the head stabilizer part broke.

When I was in the market for new ones since Moto didn't continue that line, I was hesitant to purchase Jaybirds because I'd never heard of them. Not gonna lie I almost pulled the trigger on the original wireless Powerbeats2, but the great reviews I was reading on Amazon on BB about the Jaybirds were too good to not pass up. So even though I wanted the Black and Red Wireless Powerbeats, thankfully BB didn't have anymore in stock so I just went ahead and went with Jaybirds and I've been using them ever since.

I've been tempted to try the Bose ones just out of sure curiosity. I've been with the JB's for almost 4 years but wouldn't mind mixing it up. I've heard lots of raving of the sound quality but the one thing the JB's have me on is the cord management. As a tennis player that uses it and I'm moving everywhere, I love not feeling any cable on my back or neck. It's fit snug around my head and I don't even notice it on my head. That's why idk If I'd try the Bose since the cord just hangs there.

My X2's finally gave in and I'm excited to trade them in with my Best Buy warranty for X3's (Best Buy will automatically move you to the next model up if they no longer carry the one you purchased with the warranty, you just pay the difference if the price is higher than what you paid for your original ones).

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #41 of 70
I've used the Bose Soundsports for a couple of months and they were pretty good for listening to music/audio. For phone calls it's still rather poor. What annoyed me the most is the plastic casing around the right ear piece started peeling off within a few weeks. Even the cover for the USB port eventually doesn't close after extended use. For bluetooth headphones that cost $150 a pair, the design is pretty poor. Is the jaybird X3 worth the purchase?

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #42 of 70
I've been using Jaybirds for years (e.g. Freedom, Freedom Sprint, BlueBuds X, and X2) but I didn't like that I had to cram them into the ear canal to create a "seal" and good sound.  Since I've been pleased with the sound quality, I have put up with the slight discomfort.  I purchased a pair of Soundports a few months to compare and I much prefer the fit and comfort since the earbuds sit on the outside of the ear canal.  The sound quality is also great to me.  However, I HATE having the cord dangling on the back of my neck unlike my beloved BlueBuds X.  For that reason, I am going to try the X3s and compare. Wish me luck... 

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #44 of 70
Has anyone had Bluetooth consistency issues with the X3 (signal loss, skipping...etc)? I've heard a few negative reviews of this and it is putting me off. I've also heard that latency with video can be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back