Japanese Version of Sony EX71?
Jun 29, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by csrx
First I thought Sony had started producing a new type of Ex71 (since out of the 2 pairs, one is about a year and a half old, while the other pair is 6 months old).

I've asked a couple of other people with japanese EX71's and they are holding up very well, just like my first pair. They have also noticed the difference in materials used, when comparing their EX's with US versions.

While reading a few posts on ipodlounge about US EX71's, I found alot of complaints about the cord peeling, people using tape, etc.

When it comes time to replace my Ex71's, ebay or audiocubes will be my source.
On the meantime, Iwill play with my E4C's
biggrin.gif

What is interesting is that I am getting cord peeling now on my audiocubes (japan) version of the EX81SLs. This definitely did not happen with the Audiocubes version of the EX71SLs.

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 33
thanks csrx for the info,

wished i would of known sooner though, i got myself the us version of the ex-71... i treat my stuff with alot of care and was really shocked when i found out that the cord (the one that you put behind your neck) was degrading right before my eyes! i had the earphones for just over 5 months and basically now i had to remove the whole wire.... sorta weird because the wire material for the other cord seems to be made from a 'harder' material than the one behind the neck... but yah i dont know if i will wanna take the chance and purchase the japanese version... but i do/did like those earphones..

Jul 2, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryg
Well, the reason Sony design them differently is because Americans and Asians has different tastes toward music.....

Yes, you are right. Different race and culture will have different acoustic taste or perception.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryg
... American generally tend to like the heavy&deep bass
k1000smile.gif
, while Asians like the musics to be original with crystal clear mids&highs .....

I don't think that your summary of Asians is 100% correct, since I don't think Indian, Japaness and Chinese can be this category. In my view, this is more or less like European's perception.
For the description of American, I should add two more factors:
1) fast response ( Low Q)
2) big dynamic range

Anyway, whatever the sound perception and the colour/hue perception is a good question.

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly
Check if they're both made in China. If the Japanese one is made in Japan, it'd be probably worth the extra bucks. (I'm Chinese btw, I'm not trying to insult anyone
biggrin.gif
)

Hey, I totally see what you mean. I've always felt that Chinese QA standards for the most part, except for what can only be found there, is always a notch below Japan's QA standards-which is a matter of policy and nothing derogatory, IMO. I also find that US QA standards are lacking in alot of places, IMO, except when smaller firms are producing a given product and not marketing it for the Wal-Mart bargain/cheapo crowd. Of course, I'm also a cheapskate, so I'm torn between quality an expense all the time.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #21 of 33
i've owned 3 pairs of EX71's thus far - all of which were purchased from a chinese retailer - and they were all excellent phones, two pairs i gave away as gifts, and the third I passed on to my sister after purchasing a pair of EX81's while in Japan last november. I don't recal whether the MDR-EX71's were made in China, but i believe so. The MDR-EX81's i bought in Japan were made in China - and the fell apart quite quickly, the cord was spongy, as csrx stated in his/her post.

The three pair of EX71's and EX81's where purchased nearly a year apart - perhaps the durability issues are a result of new sony manufacturing processes and arent related to their origin... can't say for sure.

And in terms of the two, i would recommend the EX71's - they arent amazing - but for 45$ i feel like they're worth the price

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 33
My EX71 is Korean. How does it compare to the Chinese version? Has anyone compared both? My EX71 is falling apart and I want to buy a new one. The Korean version has bloated bass, flat mids and harsh highs, but I am used to listening to them while I work out.

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #23 of 33
ok so how do the us and japanese version of the mdr-ex71 look like... can someone clarify? i bought the usa ones and they do suck... like mentioned before the cord around the neck just degrades on you without doing anything!
i got a few links off ebay and i think these are the us/japan versions... if someone who bought the japan version could plz cofirm that would be great! thanks

usa
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...786655827&rd=1

japan
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...786296560&rd=1

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #26 of 33
The Panasonic RP-HJE50's shouldn't dissapoint. Alot of HeadFi'ers actually stand by them as good starter headphones. I might get a pair for my brother in NJ, but I dunno. He's completely unfamiliar with the hifi market, or headphones for that matter.
You might want to take a look at Amazon and see what their prices are for the Panasonics. You can probably get them for cheaper than at eBay.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #27 of 33
Gentlemen,

I don't support the topic like ...chinese version, then....

If we talk about the performance, it should be under control by design, material and process. And all the companies invested in P.R.C. have their own standards, even own company standards + Government standards ( which means choose some one mandatory and exceed the company standards).

And all good JV are managed by mother company, instead of local people. Which means the management system are the same as mother company.

This is not a suitable reason to downlevel the sound quality, unless the original design has some modification, or use some lower-qualification material ( this should also be controlled by mother company).

Be careful: Shure JV has just announced to kick off in Suzhou SIP, one of the products is E5C.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #28 of 33
Well my KSC-75 and Etymotic ER-6, ER-6i are made in China. My question has to do with the sound signature variations of the EX71. The Korean version sounds drastically different than the japanese one. How about the chinese version?

btw, I wished we did not have to buy from those chinese commies. We basically give them money so that they build missiles, nuclear warheads, and sophisticated satellite guiding systems. We (usa) are china's long long time enemies.

Shure sucks anyway. I like their DJ cartridges though.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
btw, I wished we did not have to buy from those chinese commies. We basically give them money so that they build missiles, nuclear warheads, and sophisticated satellite guiding systems. We (usa) are china's long long time enemies.

Uh, you don't want a mod to shut down the thread do you? That could be really offensive, and qualify as political content as well. Just letting you know.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by phosfiend
i've owned 3 pairs of EX71's thus far - all of which were purchased from a chinese retailer - and they were all excellent phones, two pairs i gave away as gifts, and the third I passed on to my sister after purchasing a pair of EX81's while in Japan last november. I don't recal whether the MDR-EX71's were made in China, but i believe so. The MDR-EX81's i bought in Japan were made in China - and the fell apart quite quickly, the cord was spongy, as csrx stated in his/her post.

The three pair of EX71's and EX81's where purchased nearly a year apart - perhaps the durability issues are a result of new sony manufacturing processes and arent related to their origin... can't say for sure.

And in terms of the two, i would recommend the EX71's - they arent amazing - but for 45$ i feel like they're worth the price

Thank for verying this!!

When I first received the US Ex71's i noticed the cord was stickier, and I liked it. I gave them to my girlfriend, a few months later, here they are destroyed!

I couldn't believe how bad they looked. I had read about complaints regarding the cord, but I never knew what people were talking about, because the pair I used was the japanese version and never gave me that problem.

I had a friend of mine order a pair of the japanese because the ones he bought at Radio Shack were also destroyed after 3 months. I am waiting for him to get them in. If they turn out to be the true japanese version, I will order another pair from the same source.

On the meantime, I've sold my E4c's which I only used about 4 times with my own foam earbuds (the original earbuds remained sealed in the original package, didnt have a problem getting rid of them). I got my hands on a pair of transparent Super.Fi Pros. These have some good bass, makes me wonder how much bass the EB's have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back