Japanese Abbey Road CD
Aug 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 9
You may find this of interest. From EBay. Also here's a link to a site that can help determine if yours is real or fake.

http://www.moptop.org/music/docs/beatles/cv/cd-japan/cp35-3016.htm

The Beatles - Abbey Road CP35-3016 - Japanese Pressing

The Japanese Odeon / Toshiba EMI Ltd (Black Triangle Pressing)  CP35-3016 pressing of Abbey Road was released 21 May 1983 and deleted in July 1985. After a complaint from EMI UK.

Technically the first Beatles CD - 100% legitimate just not authorised by EMI UK. Some people believe this to be the best pressing others would direct you to less expensive releases, the choice is yours.

However should be looking for a copy you should bear in mind that there are currently TEN different genuine pressings identified and three factory pressed FAKEs.

The earliest FAKE is easily identified by the unique font on the matrix : CP35-3016 17A1  there is a genuine pressing with this number, so care is needed . The FAKE is a pirate pressing and should NOT be for sale on eBay.

A NEW  '17A1' fake appeared in 2011 with a 17A1 matrix. Easily spotted with NO compact disc logo on cover and a barcode on the rear tray art plus numerous other issues. The disc has the 'Black Triangle' covering the hub to the hole.

So this release is NOT  RARE as some people would have you believe. One eBay shop almost permanently has a copy for sale for just under $400 without an obi, Paper slip that provides sales details, that wraps around the spine of an early patent pending CD case, sometimes incorrectly identifying the pressing plant.

Tower records was selling obi versions of this title for $20 when it was available. So don't spend and arm and a leg on this version. Copies came up almost weekly  on auction.

An urban myth has arisen that if you have a copy without an obi it must have been lost. Unfortunately this is NOT true.

The title was released in at least three  formats:

Sealed with gold sticker bearing Japanese text and catalogue number
Sealed with obi , there are at least two variations in color
Long bubble pack.

So what do you look for in an original.

Ask the seller plenty of questions of sellers and
Query whether the image is of the item for sale or a library image.
Avoid the CP35-3016 17A1  matrix versions without doing your leg work.

There is one good English and several good Japanese sites which all translate fairly well so there is no excuse for buying a the FAKE which appears on eBay far too often, and is rarely if ever removed or spending your mortgage to buy this the first Beatles CD.

and at the end of the day let the buyer be aware.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
You really should Google this stuff youself..................really, you should.

Troll someone else. I did google it and spent hours doing so. I came up with no catalog estimates or any site that provides numbers. The only pricing reference was on eBay for two items with no bids and wide variance of prices. On one website someone said that the listed has it perpetually listed with no buyers.  Thanks for the lecture, now troll someone else.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Troll someone else. I did google it and spent hours doing so. I came up with no catalog estimates or any site that provides numbers. The only pricing reference was on eBay for two items with no bids and wide variance of prices. On one website someone said that the listed has it perpetually listed with no buyers.  Thanks for the lecture, now troll someone else.

I'm not trolling I'm suggesting you make an effort to fine the information yourself before asking for assistance. I Googled "Abbey Road Japanese" and came up with 35 pages of references, I believe the information I provided you was on pages 1 & 2.
and took me all of 2 minutes to locate. How you spend hours and found zip in beyond me. I just found these two price references in about 5 minutes.

this was on page 2 also http://www.jagamart.com/dr-ebbetts-cd-beatles-japan-pro-use-quotabbey-roadquot.html

this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Abbey-Road-Japanese-pressing-Country/dp/B00EV5AQEU/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1378073206&sr=1-11&keywords=the+abbey+road+japanese

This is a very friendly, helpful community but when you have 4 posts and ask for help with information that is so easily found with an internet search you loose credibility as a contributor. Again, I wasn't trolling, simply suggesting you do a little work
before asking assistance.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 9
  I have a Japanese version of Abbey Road i bought in the mid 80s and want to sell. Anyone have any idea of value. The markings are CP35 3016  17A1 and Yex a b (cd)

Black Triangle version of that is pretty valuable.  I wouldn't sell it if I were you.  I have a 1983 (I think?) CP35-3017 Dark Side of the Moon, also have the Mobile Fidelity version.  I won't sell either even though I can get a fair amount for them given that they are mint condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back