Japan-only Sony MDR-Z900 -- US equivalent?
Mar 12, 2002 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

che_fox

New Head-Fier
I'm currently living in Tokyo, Japan, where getting a pair of Beyerdynamics can be more painful than a root canal. Ordering mail-order really isn't an option in a country where (almost) nobody uses credit cards, so I decided to go shopping and listen to headphones for myself to replace my cheap, aging Sennheiser eh2200 cans which had less bass than Lake Michigan.

After searching through the tech mecca of Akihabara for a few weekends and listening to lots of pairs of headphones, I finally decided on the Sony MDR-Z900 cans for JPY 18000 (about US $140), which seem to be similar to a number of the Sony MDR-CD series in the States. However, comparing them to my friend's Sony DJ headphones, the ear pieces are much large (long, not round), and the sound is tighter and has clearer highs.

Do these headphones exist outside of Japan? I wanted to go to Head-Fi to see the experts' opinions on these cans, but a Google search for Sony MDR-Z900 only brings up Japanese pages. I love these headphones to death -- they're as comfy as my old Sennheisers but the bass is much more crisp and clear -- I just hope there aren't any hidden gotchas to look out for with my new buddies.

For what it's worth, I use them mostly for listening at work and on the train, and so I want sealed headphones to keep sound from leaking out and disturbing cow-orkers and train riders. For that, they seem to be perfect!

If any pros out there have opinions on these cans, or know of the equivalent model for the States, let me know! (Check out this photo to see if you recognize them, they have a distinctive copper look to them.)

Thanks,

Ben

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 12
I feel a little sheepish.
smily_headphones1.gif
I found that message in a search (of course I tried that first!) but I didn't realize the information I wanted was in one of the replies, so I skimmed those after not finding the information in the main post and missed that.

Thanks!

(Added other thought in an edit below)

One question, though. Why are the MDR-V900 headphones so widely reviled on Head-Fi? I listened to most of the headphones in the high-end audio stores, and I guess my ears aren't tuned enough, but they sounded wonderful to me.

As far as a pair of headphones that's remotely portable and doesn't leak sound, it sure beats the hell out of all the other ones I tried. Yes, they weren't as good as the open-ear headphones I tried, but those aren't really an option.

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Did you look at the CD 900ST? Thats the Japan domestic equivalent to the 7506/V6. approx 15,800 yen.

In general the Zx00 series (ie Z600,Z700) are pretty dismal for the price. I tried the 900 a while back and they do sound better than the cheaper (marginally) ones but for the price I think there are BETTER alternatives. the Zx00 series are also know as the Vx00 series.

A good place to try headphones is at Yodabashi Shinjuku headquaters branch and the nearby stores. They have probably in the neighbourhood of about 100 phones to audition. Unfortunately unlike the new Yodabashi megastore in Osaka they are not all in one place but spread across the various floors of several buildings.

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by hardwarenut
Did you look at the CD 900ST? Thats the Japan domestic equivalent to the 7506/V6. approx 15,800 yen.

I'll have to go give them a listen next time I'm in Shinjuku. I know all about the maze of Yodobashi Camera stores, it bends my mind how they're connected together sometimes!

I just hope they have a quiet listening area; every time I've been to Yodobashi (or Bic, or Sakuraya, or any of the big stores) the outside music has been blaring so loudly it's almost impossible to hear the headphones!

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by che_fox

I'll have to go give them a listen next time I'm in Shinjuku. I know all about the maze of Yodobashi Camera stores, it bends my mind how they're connected together sometimes!

I just hope they have a quiet listening area; every time I've been to Yodobashi (or Bic, or Sakuraya, or any of the big stores) the outside music has been blaring so loudly it's almost impossible to hear the headphones!

Nope the Jingle >_< is there at most of the listening post. It makes in damm near impossible to really listen to any open headphones. However the 900ST is a closed headphones to its not so bad. Its also located in the basement floor in the A/V building next to the headquater building. Its in the Audiophile department in the basement. At least this department is marginally quieter.

BTW if you go by Osaka ( I was there for one day during new years holiday) the new Yodabashi camera store (its a really really big one) has all the headphones all in one place. Its pretty impressive to see so many headphones to try all at once. My rough estimate is at least in the neighbourhood of 100 pairs.

However I don:t know if they kept the setup because I notice many stores rearrange the floorspace very often. Sometimes it makes it damm confusing. Like the local softmap store where I am is almost completely rearranged eveytime I drop by. (which is about once a week......)

Mar 12, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Nope the Jingle >_< is there at most of the listening post. It makes in damm near impossible to really listen to any open headphones. However the 900ST is a closed headphones to its not so bad. Its also located in the basement floor in the A/V building next to the headquater building. Its in the Audiophile department in the basement. At least this department is marginally quieter.

I know the one thing I'll never forget from my stay in Japan is the JINGLES.. the never ending JINGLES! I'll be humming "Biiiku Biiiku Biiiku Bikubiku CAMERA!" til I die.

As far as I've found through web searches and inquiries, things like Beyerdynamic headphones just Are Not Available in Japan. Is this true? All I can find in online catalogs and stores are Sony, Audio-Technica, Philips, and Sennheiser.

Mar 12, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I know the one thing I'll never forget from my stay in Japan is the JINGLES.. the never ending JINGLES! I'll be humming "Biiiku Biiiku Biiiku Bikubiku CAMERA!" til I die.

As far as I've found through web searches and inquiries, things like Beyerdynamic headphones just Are Not Available in Japan. Is this true? All I can find in online catalogs and stores are Sony, Audio-Technica, Philips, and Sennheiser.

This is Japan (esp Tokyo) we are talking about. If you know where to look and are willing to pay for it you more than likely can get it. [OK ok thats really stereotyping. but when it comes to electronics and like stuff its pretty damm close to being true]

BTW Beyers can be easily found actually. Yodobashi carries a bunch of them. Grados are not so common but I am pretty sure you can find grados in a specialized shop if you want too. BTW all the imported headphones are near list price. (ie expensive...).

Right now I am favouring Audio Technica for a good value.

THE W100 are pretty kick ass for the money. If you want something more conventional sounding closed headphones the 100Ti uses the same drivers as the W2002 but its has a titanium earcups so it lacks the opennes of the wood w2002. Its much more in the ear. (it also doesn:t use the DADS feature that the W2002 have).

Search Audio technica W100 and W2002 to see what I am talking about.

These phones all cost more than 20,000 yen though. 100Ti (26800 yen) W100 (33,000 yen) W2002 (80,000 yen). But these are Audio technicas top of the line. They have a lot of cheaper good headphones. (and like anyone else lots of bad ones)
Just do a search.

Remember though. The bottom line is go with whatever sounds good to YOU.

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

THE W100 are pretty kick ass for the money. If you want something more conventional sounding closed headphones the 100Ti uses the same drivers as the W2002 but its has a titanium earcups so it lacks the opennes of the wood w2002. Its much more in the ear. (it also doesn:t use the DADS feature that the W2002 have).

Remember though. The bottom line is go with whatever sounds good to YOU.

I saw and tried on the W100s, they were excellent sounding. Unfortunately, they are also almost bigger than my whole head! I'm shocked Japanese people came up with something so huge. I would love to walk around wearing those big wooden muffs on my head, but I think I might get knocked over by a heavy wind! *grin*

I'll go to Yodobashi and give their section a good listen. Thanks for all the advice!

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I saw and tried on the W100s, they were excellent sounding. Unfortunately, they are also almost bigger than my whole head! I'm shocked Japanese people came up with something so huge. I would love to walk around wearing those big wooden muffs on my head, but I think I might get knocked over by a heavy wind! *grin*

I'll go to Yodobashi and give their section a good listen. Thanks for all the advice!

If you ware going to be using them outside. The try the 900ST I suggested then. They are smaller and lighter than the Z900. And they sound better. The JVC DX1s also sound pretty good. those are about 9800 yen.

Also if you want something portable the Sony Eggo (something)66 for about 8900 yen are supposed to be pretty decent.

Mar 13, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 12
D66

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 13, 2002 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 12
Oh, man, oh man.

I went to the Yodobashi Camera A/V megastore in Shinjuku. They had a fantastic little section of headphones in the basement just like you said, but I was sad to see that they didn't have the Beyerdynamic DT-250s. I asked the clerk if they planned to get any in, and he said, "Oh, those are on the *OTHER* headphone floor!"

Heading up to the 2nd floor, I saw not just one but *two* full walls of headphones to listen to, with just about every kind of Beyer, Audio-Technica, and Sennheiser you could shake a stick at. But no DT-250s on the wall! Thankfully, a kind worker let me take a set out of the package and listen to a few tracks with them -- and I was in ear heaven.

Mmm, they're comfy, and now I understand exactly what y'all meant about how the Sony MDR-Z900 (or V900, or whatever) series lacks a whole range of sound right above the bassline. The bass on the Sonys is thick as beef stew, and starts to overlap the other sound and override it. But the DT-250s keep the bass in its place, without sacrificing the punch and thump of the drumlines.

I'm convinced. Superior German engineering must win out every time when headphones are concerned!
wink.gif

A great track I found to illustrate the differences between the Sony V series and the Beyer DT-250s is "Chrono Cross - Unstolen Jewel", the ending song from Chrono Cross. The delicate acoustic guitar theme throughout the song is just slaughtered by the Sonys, while the DT-250s keep every note separate and almost hanging in the air.

Now, the Sonys still do tend to hold up a little better under extremely high volume -- higher than I would ever listen to -- but that's not really a selling point to me.

Go Beyers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back