James Randi challenges audiophiles... nobody mentioned this yet?
Nov 17, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #31 of 37
Well, you said that in one line, then you just bashed Singlepower.

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #33 of 37
Nobody take the bait!

Biggie.

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
Seriously for me not being able to correctly ABX between my Gilmore V2 and Emmeline XP-7 (8065 op amps) would be like a layperson not being able to distinguish between green vs. blue on a colorwheel. The differences are not drastic but they're blantantly obvious and we don't need ABX testing to prove that they exist.

Probably because of impedance matching between your phones and said amps ? ABX between proper & exotic speaker wires would be much more difficult.

Nov 20, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #37 of 37
So did anyone take the challenge?

One more thing, when Randi mentioned his friend's comment on the amplifier sound, it may be referring to a power amplifier. According to Ian Masters, two extensive ABX tests showed that no one can distinguish the sound quality of different power amplifiers under non-clipping conditions. http://www.mastersonaudio.com/audio/20020901.htm

On the other hand, people seem to all agree that pre-amplifiers can sound different. Or, a better way to put it may be that voltage amplification affects sound quality more, but current amplification has little if any effect. The headphone amplifiers found on the market probably has some voltage amplification, so I would not be surprised if they can sound different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back