James Randi challenges audiophiles... nobody mentioned this yet?
Nov 16, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #16 of 37
I give up
rolleyes.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #18 of 37
Headfi golden ears, take the challenge, claim the million dollar prize, and donate it to headfi.

Where are you golden ears? Come out, come out, wherever you are...

This reminds me how easy these "golden ears" proclaim they can hear minute changes in their system.

ie) A magnetic pin placed on the left corner of the turntable
--Oh my god, I can hear details that I swear was NEVER there before. The highs are extended into the stratosphere. The bass is so amazing that there is literally a hole in the floor where the speakers were standing.
rolleyes.gif

ie) This power-cord is so amazing that you just have to try it. It literally changes the sub-molecular structure of the sillyons that are the building blocks of magneto-electro waves that supply your system. In fact, it introduces quackons that will spiritually purify the sound come out of your amps and sources.

Nov 16, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #19 of 37
So basically they are asking folks to step up to an A/B box, and from the same source and same cans, they are going to switch back and forth from a crap amp and a great amp, and ask folks to be able to tell which one is the crap amp?

um, shouldn't this be easy? if the source and cables and cans and music itself are highly revealing that is?

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
So basically they are asking folks to step up to an A/B box, and from the same source and same cans, they are going to switch back and forth from a crap amp and a great amp, and ask folks to be able to tell which one is the crap amp?

um, shouldn't this be easy? if the source and cables and cans and music itself are highly revealing that is?

It appears that he is only commenting on tweaks such as the Shakti stone and similar products.

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

From reading it over, I don't think the challenge is over actual audio components. Seems to be stuff like Shakti Stones, magic foil, drawing a red "x" on a CD and chanting the pledge of allegiance 7 times, etc.

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric
Well, without derailing this thread into discussion about miracles or other stuff with religious undertones, let me just say this: these folks are monks, who in the spirit of renunciation don't concern themselves with the outside affairs of the world. And what they achieve through their meditative practice and spiritual discipline has far more positive influence on the world (in the purest sense; like the butterfly effect) than a paltry $1 million ever could. In any case, $1 million isn't really going to have any sort of impact on hunger or poverty in the third world, for example.

Have you actually gone and studied with said monks, or is it something you've read about/seen in a movie? I'm genuinely curious, not being sarcastic.

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kixyll
From reading it over, I don't think the challenge is over actual audio components. Seems to be stuff like Shakti Stones, magic foil, drawing a red "x" on a CD and chanting the pledge of allegiance 7 times, etc.

Actually I'd be very interested if he would bite on the "Magic Marker on the edge of the CD" trick. Or that Gel Illuminator stuff. Or even that CD cutting lathe machine? (Or some would even say, gasp, a burned CD-R?) such comparos would actually save a few of us some money if truly debunked!

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #24 of 37
Not amps, but any of: the "Shakti Stones" and P.W.B. Electronics' "Electret Foil" and "Red X Pen"

Good ol' rainbow foil.
smily_headphones1.gif

If the Shakti Stones do in fact remove EMI, I'm not sure why this would be considered voodoo (although its effects on audio may be). There is a way to measure EMI correct? In my experience a reduction of EMI/RF is sonically benificial. Ferrites are common, even my oneac (which was not made for audio) has a ferrite ring in it. Would they consider a ferrites effect on audio voodoo?

Biggie.

Nov 17, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 37
I'm all for the scientific study of audio and would really like to see some of the above mentioned products officially de bunked. But what's the point? Most educated people already know to stay away from such products.

But ewwww! look at the statement Randi wrote concerning what his colleage Paul Ierymenko told him--"He maintained that any reasonable quality amplifier, operating within its specified limits, is acoustically indistinguishable from any other." Now that is a complete load of bull! That's just what we need, very educated people who are ignorant of a certain subject passing along their ignorance of the subject to the general public.
rolleyes.gif
Seriously for me not being able to correctly ABX between my Gilmore V2 and Emmeline XP-7 (8065 op amps) would be like a layperson not being able to distinguish between green vs. blue on a colorwheel. The differences are not drastic but they're blantantly obvious and we don't need ABX testing to prove that they exist.

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
I'm all for the scientific study of audio and would really like to see some of the above mentioned products officially de bunked. But what's the point? Most educated people already know to stay away from such products.

But ewwww! look at the statement Randi wrote concerning what his colleage Paul Ierymenko told him--"He maintained that any reasonable quality amplifier, operating within its specified limits, is acoustically indistinguishable from any other." Now that is a complete load of bull! That's just what we need, very educated people who are ignorant of a certain subject passing along their ignorance of the subject to the general public.
rolleyes.gif
Seriously for me not being able to correctly ABX between my Gilmore V2 and Emmeline XP-7 (8065 op amps) would be like a layperson not being able to distinguish between green vs. blue on a colorwheel. The differences are not drastic but they're blantantly obvious and we don't need ABX testing to prove that they exist.

Prove it.

biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
"He maintained that any reasonable quality amplifier, operating within its specified limits, is acoustically indistinguishable from any other."

Yeah. Now that is hokum.

Nov 17, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 37
I think most stuff sold is all snake oil in the high end audio industry.

the best I heard was when a maker of a amp said the reason why he makes his amps the way he does is for sound. the amp was a complete mess of wires inside and honestly to me could not prove any "sound" upgrade from this messy way of doing things. (the amps he made were p2p)

also at a gathering of folks who are into this kind of market heard one of his p2p amps against a new cleaner board amp from this guy. most said they didnt hear a difference in sound.

also this maker is so into ripping people off he even has the balls to charge mass amounts of money for "upgrade/option" parts way above their street price. why does he charge so much? he builds each amp to order so either way he has to put these kind of parts in it.

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #29 of 37
What does any of that have to do with snake oil? It'll just get the thread closed or too argumentative to be of use. I was interested in this one too.

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
What does any of that have to do with snake oil? It'll just get the thread closed or too argumentative to be of use. I was interested in this one too.

what I am saying is there is alot of "fake" claims in high end audio market.

infact I think every company does it to a degree.

can you prove anything in this industry like the Randi wants?,.....nope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back