Jamaican outlets?
Jun 14, 2003 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
Hey guys,

I've got a quick question... I'm doing a 10 day trip to the carribean at the end of the month, and I was wondering whether my amp would take their power or not. I'm going to be staying at a hotel primarily catering to american tourists, and know my electric razors and what not work in their jacks... anyone know if my US headamp will have a problem?

Fred

Jun 16, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 4
Jamaica runs on 110v, 50hz where as the US is 120v, 60hz.

That small of a variance should be just fine for your headamp though... it might not sound quite as good as you are used to due to loss in power and lower frequency (find some information on the phenomena, which many including myself believe in, known as the night bloom for further information on how the increase in power frequency that occurs in the night often leads to better sound) but it shouldn't hurt it and unless you really listen you probably will not notice.

Anyone want to confirm the above... just in case I'm missing something with the frequency shift?

BTW if you ever wonder about voltages again here is the site for you: http://www.traveloasis.com/elad.html

Have fun in Jamaica!

Jun 22, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey Fred, no problem mon! I was just in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios and had no problems running my Creek OBH-11 SE at any of the hotels I stayed at. The Ritz in Montego Bay is the bomb and the summer rates are not too bad at all. Dunn River Falls is a must if you're on the North Coast.

Jun 22, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 4
excellent,

thanks for the tips--I've seen all the sights now. Both of my folks are actually from Jamaica. I used to go 2 or 3 times a year until my grandmother died... things kinda trickled after that. This is gonna be my first trip in which I'm interested in headphone audio though, so I wanted to make sure all would be well.

I think I decided to just live with a portable cdplayer supermini and etys for the vacation either way, but thanks for the replys.

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back