Jam Band Newbie needs neutral advice
Feb 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put early DMB in jam band, now they're pure pop. Unless they've gone back again
smily_headphones1.gif

I would agree with this WRT their studio stuff. Now their LIVE stuff is another matter, and IMHO continues to be worth listening to.

I'm a fan of a lot of the stuff I've seen listed here, and have been really into Widespread Panic lately. I'd recommend the PhishLive series, especially the Halloween dates. Whatever you do, however, avoid the one where they cover the Beatles' White Album...unlistenable to these ears!!
eek.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #33 of 37
I liked some older Widespread Panic when they were on the radio so saw them live and they were so bad I walked out. Meanwhile I never bought any DMB but saw them live and they were great and are or at least were jam enough to qualify imo!

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #34 of 37
widespread went through a rough patch after their guitar player died. Now that Jimmy Herring is in the band, apparently things are a little better

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could sign up for sirius online and listen to the jam bands channel for a bit.

Great idea ... I hadn't heard about Sirius, and that may be an avenue worth exploring for only $13 a month. I'm not going with that option until I exhaust my recent purchases and all the free stuff though, which may take a while. I bookmarked the site, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #36 of 37
I listen to a lot of Jam band music. If you want to experience the more electronic side of jam music I would recommend STS9, Lotus, and Papadosio. They all use real instruments, so its not just djing, but they gravitate towards more electronic based sounds.

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #37 of 37
Oh, nice old thread that i never saw.  Still read it and liked it, glad someone mentioned Percy Hill and their talent.  So this old thread is a perfect place to vent.  I walked out of my first concert ever last night. I love jambands and have seen tons and i even like the band i saw last night but they were so loud(louder than Ted Nugent) and so distorted that even when the music died and the lead told a story over the mike for three minutes, i could only make out about five words.  We had great seats in a medium small venue too, what a total disappointment, and the band was "Umphrey's McGee".  I really felt like it was an assault on my ears both in volume and sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back