Jaguar RTOS
Aug 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Dradder

100+ Head-Fier
The Jaguar RTOS is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jaguaraudiodes/files/

I've used it to create a bootable thumb drive that turns a PC into a dedicated Linux audio server. Results have been impressive IMO, though I have some issues with the Rhythmbox media player that's included with the distribution. Give it a shot; you might like it.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 32
Installed with the objective to do a side-side test against my cMP2 system ... 

Unfortunately I'm not able to see my M2Tech device under Jack setup panel ... I looked into "interface" but nothing that seems an M2Tech appears there.

Cheers. Massimiliano

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:
The Jaguar RTOS is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jaguaraudiodes/files/

I've used it to create a bootable thumb drive that turns a PC into a dedicated Linux audio server. Results have been impressive IMO, though I have some issues with the Rhythmbox media player that's included with the distribution. Give it a shot; you might like it.

I'm thinking of trying this out later Dradder and also posted in Darin's thread.  Do you have to use Rhythmbox as the player?  I don't mind it, but lags sometimes.  I prefer Audacious.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 32
Do you have to use Rhythmbox as the player?  I don't mind it, but lags sometimes.  I prefer Audacious.

Rhythmbox is what comes with the Jaguar RTOS distribution. Soundwise, it seems okay, but I've had it hang several times not when playing files, but when doing simple housekeeping tasks like adding files to the Library. So I don't think it's an issue with latency settings or anything like that. I'd really like the Jaguar folks to do a distribution with one or more alternate Linux audio players included.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 32
Getting my pendrive ready now, planning on trying it on a rarely-used laptop and seeing how it goes. Couldn't be more unspeakably irritating and fruitless than my recent attempts to hunt down DRC latency issues in my desktop, so here's hoping it works and works well! 

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 32
Okay, quick question: is there any way for this OS to locate music stored on a NAS or another computer attached to the network? That's where essentially all my music is stored, and I'd love to be able to access it from there...

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 32
Took an external hard drive with about 1600 songs on it to try JagRTOS out, found the files just fine. Plugged in the DAC, able to see it in Jack, but audio continually plays only on the laptop's built-in speakers. Tried changing to each of the other USB audio options, but the other two threw error codes. Hw:1 does not, and is labelled correctly. Tried two different USB solutions: Meier Audio Daccord, and Musical Fidelity V-Link 192, no dice on either yet. 

I realize there is no official support for this, and I also know that since this is my absolute first time ever dealing with Linux in any capacity, I am soaked to the bone with noobishness-- so I apologize if I'm asking some really dumb questions here. I promise I'll learn quickly :wink:

Any idea on why audio would route through the laptop speakers instead of through the DAC selected in Jack? 

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
Installed with the objective to do a side-side test against my cMP2 system ... 

Unfortunately I'm not able to see my M2Tech device under Jack setup panel ... I looked into "interface" but nothing that seems an M2Tech appears there.

Ipoci, when I installed the driver I was able to verify that it was loaded, but didn't have an M2Tech device on hand to learn how to use it, so I'm afraid I can't be much help.  I'm not sure if the driver applies to all M2tech devices.  A Google search of terms like M2Tech, Ubuntu and driver would surely turn up the solution, but as is always the case, nothing is easy with Linux and you'll have to work for it.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

I'm thinking of trying this out later Dradder and also posted in Darin's thread.  Do you have to use Rhythmbox as the player?  I don't mind it, but lags sometimes.  I prefer Audacious.

I explored Audacious and several other players.  It didn't appear that Audacious has iTunes-style filters, which is the case for most Linux players and an absolute deal-killer for me.  I refuse to make a playlist every time I want to listen to music.  Rhythmbox does not have the amazing layout customization of Foobar, but neither do any of the other Linux players; it does have filters for Genre, Artist, Album and Song and was clearly the best choice for the way I like to listenm among a range of other solutions that were very poor.

I promise you the delays and freezes you are experiencing are not coming from Rhthmbox.  Players can sound different but it's a common misconception that the difference is coming from the player.  The difference comes from the driver selected by the player, or in the case of the RTOS by the JACK music server.  If you were to use the ASIO4ALL driver with Foobar and with JRiver the sound would be identical; the player software only serves to provide a GUI and do things like Start or Stop the music.  If you experience delays or freezes with the RTOS you need to go back to the Instruction Manual and read the steps to set JACK.  It must be set with the combination of settings that give you the lowest latency, but also stable playback.  Once you find the proper settings for your DAC you can leave it.

I should note that users can install any players they want after the OS is loaded onto a hard drive.  It's a DIY affair.  Ctrl + Alt + T gets you a terminal window and Google searches do the rest.  It's basic Linux, but even basic Linux has a way of turning people into nihilists, so I'm just putting it out there, not suggesting it.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:
Took an external hard drive with about 1600 songs on it to try JagRTOS out, found the files just fine. Plugged in the DAC, able to see it in Jack, but audio continually plays only on the laptop's built-in speakers. Tried changing to each of the other USB audio options, but the other two threw error codes. Hw:1 does not, and is labelled correctly. Tried two different USB solutions: Meier Audio Daccord, and Musical Fidelity V-Link 192, no dice on either yet. 

I realize there is no official support for this, and I also know that since this is my absolute first time ever dealing with Linux in any capacity, I am soaked to the bone with noobishness-- so I apologize if I'm asking some really dumb questions here. I promise I'll learn quickly :wink:

Any idea on why audio would route through the laptop speakers instead of through the DAC selected in Jack? 

I recommend getting the DAC working with the sample music loaded in the OS before spending time loading your library.  It's very difficult for me to troubleshoot a DAC issue without having one on hand to get it working with my machine.  I'm assuming these are DACs that work on the USB 2.0 standard and do not require driver installation on Windows or Mac, so they're LInux compatible.  Your best bet is to pour over the section on JACK settings in the Instruction Manual carefully and if it's still not working try some of the other outputs and to a lesser extent driver settings.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

I recommend getting the DAC working with the sample music loaded in the OS before spending time loading your library.  It's very difficult for me to troubleshoot a DAC issue without having one on hand to get it working with my machine.  I'm assuming these are DACs that work on the USB 2.0 standard and do not require driver installation on Windows or Mac, so they're LInux compatible.  Your best bet is to pour over the section on JACK settings in the Instruction Manual carefully and if it's still not working try some of the other outputs and to a lesser extent driver settings.

Thanks for the reply! Didn't even realize there was sample music on there already... Although it's not a big deal for the music I currently have loaded, as it's just on an external WD HD I have. And both of the devices I've plugged into it did require s/w installs, so I'm guessing that means they're a no-go. I've got some portable DAC/amp combos around that don't require driver installs, I'll give them a shot just to see what this is all about. 

Thanks for the help, Fork! 

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 32
Ctrl + Alt + T gets you a terminal window

Okay, I got into the Terminal window and tried using sudo in order to install the PPA for the DeaDBeef audio player. I got this line:
[sudo] password for jaguar:

I assumed it's the same password as for the RTOS, but the terminal window wouldn't let me enter it; nothing from the keyboard registered on screen. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 32
M2Tech update ... Booting .ISO from DVD, "hiface" name appears as hw:1 into Jack interface list ... this sounds good.

Then ... Opening Jack, status is "stopped". I click Start and message error appears:

- D-BUS: Jack server could not be started
- cannot connect to server socket err = no such file or directory
...then automatically
- Starting Jack Server
- Starting Realtime priority 10
- control device hw:1
>>> failed to acquire device name Audio1 error: cannot allocate memory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back