Jack in the Box...Wha?
Aug 21, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #31 of 56
(You have to love a thread that's so offensive to countries we may soon be at war with.)
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've never had Fatburger or In N Out Burger. I'll have to make a point of it next time I'm out west.

Carl Jr's, I think, is a poor version of Wendy's with more grease. No thanks.

Jack In The Box used to be really really poor. However, they've gotten much better in recent years, I think. They're called that, I believe, because they use Monterey Jack cheese in their cheese burgers. Their "Ultimate Cheeseburger" is basically a pattymelt and is, to my knowledge, the only major fastfood pattymelt.

Whataburger rocks. It's a shame you guys don't have these. It's not that the food is particularly good, though it's really not bad at all as far as fastfood goes, The thing is, though, that they're open 24/7. So imagine it, it's 3am, you're drunk or recovering from being drunk and getting hungry and you can actually get a decent hamburger? Pretty soon you have an association with this place and nothing in the world tastes as good when you're drunk. Or maybe it's just me.

Fuddruckers and Purdys are awesome burger chains in Dallas, but it might be wrong to call them fastfood. It's counterservice but there's no drive-through, there's often a little bit of a wait and they only serve you the meat, cheese and bun with a condiment bar not far from the counter with tomato, lettuce, onion, pickle, etc. And the bar is typically fresh, too.

The BEST burgers in Texas, as far as I'm concerned, come from a place called Paradise Gril. I believe there's one in Denton and there's one in Richardson. I actually ordered their 1/2lb burger one day and ate the whole thing. Didn't get much use for the fries after that, though.

Aug 21, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #32 of 56
Now I'm hungry!

If you are ever driving through Arkansas on I-40, stop off in Russellville and check out Feltner's WhattaBurger (not a WhataBurger) across the street from Arkansas Tech (less than a mile off the freeway). A WhattaBurger (6" dia.) with cheese and everything, onion rings, and a shake! I can feel my arteries harding already! They also have the Double, Tripple, and though its not on the board, they will make a Quadruple on request.

Here in Hot Springs, Sonic is King (4 locations). We also have a Backyard Burger that cooks over mesquite. The biggest and best burger in town is in a corner of the Central City Flea Market. Its a Mom 'n Pop operation and the burger is about 7" across.

No wonder I can't get under 200lb.

Aug 21, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Jack In The Box used to be really really poor. However, they've gotten much better in recent years, I think.

I have to agree with that, Kelly. 5, 10 years ago I wouldn't go near JitB. Nowadays, about the only fast food places I'll eat here in the Bay Area are Subway, Arby's, and Jack in the Box. At least at JitB they cook your order when you order it, unlike MacDonald's, Wendy's, Carl's, and Burger King (blech!)

Aug 21, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel

Thems fightin words!

Yeah, you can fight your way to the toilet to eliminate that CRUD from your body.

P.S. What? A Burger? That ain't a burger! That's a thin brown film on a dinner roll!

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:17 PM Post #35 of 56
yeah jack in the box is no great find. didn't realize they weren't an international wonder... so many commercials... i have to admit they do have clever commercials though.

after in-n-out came to nor-cal i could never eat another crap fast food burger again, because i could finally taste all the recycled newspaper in there. (ie in-n-out is in another realm completely)

i do live about 5 blocks from the "original" fatburner thats in all those movies and such (at school) but i havn't eaten there. in fact i havn't had a hamburger in about 8 months. good riddance.

the big chain burger places kind of lost their appeal when i started reading about the bovine content in the fries, and have you ever heard about "mechanically separated chicken"? yeah those nuggets are good stuff...

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #36 of 56
Do any of the Seattle or Pacific Northwest members remember a fast food chain Herfeys? They were like McDonalds but had a big steer head as their logo.

Favorite spot late at night for U of W students.

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by beni

I have about fifty of those...I like the sourdough combo. I'll sell em to you cheap.
smily_headphones1.gif

You guys don't know what you're missing without having a Dick's around though. That place is great. I'll take it over In 'n Out or Carl's Jr. anyday.

I had forgotten about Dick's. We are going to Seattle next week and will have a chance to eat at some great places. ANother local Favorite is Totem House near the Locks in Ballard. Hope it is still there.

Aug 21, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #38 of 56
I thought Dicks was only in Spokane. Any other places besides Seattle? A friend took me to Dicks Drive In in Spokane, different atmosphere and the food was good.

I don't remember Herfeys but I do know of Red Steer. They use a red steer head logo. I've only found Red Steer in Idaho and Ontario Oregon, which is the same as being in Idaho.

Remember when McDonalds was referred to as Worm Burgers?
There was a rumor that they ground up earth worms with the other meats in the hamburger.

Aug 21, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Remember when McDonalds was referred to as Worm Burgers?
There was a rumor that they ground up earth worms with the other meats in the hamburger.

It's funny, where I lived this urban legend was that Burger King had the "worm burgers." I'd always thought someone at McDonald's must have started it.

Aug 21, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #40 of 56
quick point,

I saw a "Carl's Jr." for the first time on my way to Houston. It looks like a Hardees logo with of course the words carls jr. in the exact same font type.

Does this mean that there are no Hardees where you guys live?(California, Texas, etc.)

Aug 21, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #41 of 56
What does it say about us as an online community to have such an active discussion about fast food? <checking wasteband> <sigh>.

Anyway, In'N'Out burger is the way to go. I would move to California for it.

Aug 21, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #42 of 56
It seems like there used to be Hardees in Texas but there isn't anymore--at least not in Dallas/Ft Worth. Captain D's used to be here and moved out too -- excpet for I think one location in Balch Springs. We don't have Krystal here either. And Shoney's (aka Kipp's) moved out.

Oh yeah, one other thing we have that you guys don't is Braum's. Braum's is a little shop that sells ice cream by the gallon drum and by the cone/sunday as well as doing burgers and such. Their employees tend to be complete morons (it's not location specific so I'm not sure what it is about working at Braum's that appeals to the complete moron) but their food ain't bad. They have crinkle cut french fries which I prefer. The ice cream is sub-par compared to Haagen Daz or Marble Slab but it's cheap as hell and there's a Braum's in almost every Texas neighborhood.

We don't have many Swensen's here either but the one I know of here isn't far from me and is next door to the dollar theater so all is well.

Aug 21, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #43 of 56
kelly,

Don't forget to mention that Braum's has something most fast food / ice cream shops don't have....limeades, hand squeezed in front of you with several whole limes in the large size.

Nothing better on a hot Dallas summer day than one of those limeades!

Aug 21, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #44 of 56
I've only tried the Jack in the Box near the city centre of San Jose, twice - but I found their burgers too fatty for my taste. I guess, I generally prefer Burger King Whoppers - or individual restaurants (for example the one right around the left corner from the muni-exit of West Portal, SF - Bulls Burgers, I think... recommended!)...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Florida rather seemed to be sub than burger country to me - at least I found quite a lot of nice places with very tasty subs in Jacksonville, FL...

Aug 21, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #45 of 56
lini
In America, fast food restaurants thrive because wherever you go whatever you're expecting is almost always exactly what you get. Like KFC in New York? Then you'll probably like it in Oklahoma and Wyoming too. This is why, I believe, so many mediocre things succeed in America after quality control has been perfected. People like consistency, here.

I've never been the Europe. I have only the words of my friends and coworkers to tell me what Europe is like, but they tell me it's not like that over there. They say that when you order a beer you simply ask for a pilsner or an ale and they bring you whatever is local and fresh. Over here bottled and canned beer dominates even in places where they brew it fresh. And McDonalds always sells more burgers than any given mom and pop.

So I ask you... are your Burger Kings all the same? And even if they are, you must of course realize, that doesn't necessarily mean they taste anything like American Burger Kings. I generally think Burger King is pretty poor but I think that having only had the American version of Burger King. If you say it's good maybe I'd like the Munich version. After all, from what I gather, even the Budweiser is good in Munich.

Then again, if you meant the Burger Kings in California and Florida, I think we'll just have to have different tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back