Jaben Fear...
Jul 11, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #106 of 204

Quote:
 i went to the website but somehow, i don't think i will sign up cuz it reminds me of this website that promises to cure all your eye problems or something... plus they don't look too professional but that's just my impression.^^

Quote:
omg a girl. quick, everyone virtually flirt with her! 

Not everyone, but it looks like quite a few have done so already, some in more obvious ways than others.

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #107 of 204
Well I have been to Jaben once just to get complys , and I was kinda surprised by how small the shop was.. (the Singapore one). I have imagined it to be bigger , since my friend said it was 'classroom sized'.

Anyway , if anyone doesn't like Jaben they can always check out Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point , its much more crowded there and more lively.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #108 of 204
I think both Jaben and Stereo staffs are professional in their attitude and knowledge. Just that for one, they present themselves that way upfront and the other, you will need to talk to them to know.

Stereo at Plaza Singapura has only the ER4S for demo because I had requested to try out the ER4P but they don't have it. Do find some time when you can sit in the shop and really audition the earphones. 

Unfortunately, the prices in Singapore are quite expensive (Monster products are even worse...) but the local warranty really helps if there is anything wrong with the earphones. In addition, unit found to be defective at the time of purchase can be exchanged immediately. You can't do that with online purchase. I just bought my UM3X at Stereo and found the right driver to produce significantly softer sound. Aron verified that to be a true defect but the one I bought was the last set in the shop (what bad luck...) He arranged for a set to be transferred from another branch and I got a perfectly working pair the very next day 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #110 of 204
hmm...^^ ok then, looks like i really, really, simply have to try the etys first before i buy them... earphones by westone were also suggested, so looks like i will try them out too... i was just thinking and wondering, what in your opinion would be the best IEM no matter the price point(and, yes, customs are not included)? i was reading about the hippo VB which looked really interesting, but i want stuff that CAN isolate noise and play music so earplugs are also out^^ thanks for the help!

Quote:
I really don't suggest buying the ER4s blind (erm, deaf?). Their sound is rather polarizing.

Elipses are very fun! Haha even I like breaking that grammar rule. It just creates...suspense!

And not positive if it actually is true, but I wouldn't doubt it. I've seen similar things happen in the streets of Chicago.

And sushibowl, there are actually a lot of teenages here. Umm, from the top of my head, benaiir is 15, Stang is 15, violinvirtuoso is 13-14 I think?, logwed is 17, MaoDi is 17 (?), and quite a few more. Hell, Stang has headphone gear most people here would envy. MaoDi...yeah I absolutely envy his position in the audio world (he reviews, or at least reviewed mid tier iems and customs). It just depends on our priorities. Teenagers actually have a really good opportunity to get nice stuff if they want to. Our parents pay for food and housing, so that's a really nice convenience. I don't game like most teenagers and have a job, so that's nice chunk of money saved up for this hobby.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #111 of 204

Quote:
hmm...^^ ok then, looks like i really, really, simply have to try the etys first before i buy them... earphones by westone were also suggested, so looks like i will try them out too... i was just thinking and wondering, what in your opinion would be the best IEM no matter the price point(and, yes, customs are not included)? i was reading about the hippo VB which looked really interesting, but i want stuff that CAN isolate noise and play music so earplugs are also out^^ thanks for the help!

I just placed an order for the Earsonics SM3 and recently sold my UM3Xs so would be able to compare these 2 pretty closely. I've heard nothing but praises for the SM3s so decided to take the plunge and see what's all the fuss about.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #112 of 204
just FYI, but for westone, earphonesolutions ships free... and yes, i do understand the benefits of buying local as compared to online...
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-headphones.html 

Quote:
Factor in the shipping costs and the warranty and see which is best. Earphonesolutions has shipping of at least 25USD via FEDEX, or $15 for uninsured shipping. You might also have to ship the product back for warranty if it spoils if buying online. Not really good unless there is a really significant price difference.

Also, you might want to consider trying out other earphones in the same price range too. It would help you get a better idea of the various options you can get for your money.

With respect to your fear, you should try to get over it. I once spent over an hour pacing in front of a shop deliberating whether or not to enter (yup, people probably thought I was crazy), now I've gotten over it (well most of it at least).

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #114 of 204

Quote:

You're asking for too much. If you really want "the best" it's either the triple driver universals, or customs.

Any decent IEM (except cheapos) can isolate well. After a certain price point, it is no longer the SQ, but the sound that comes out.

No two earphones give the same sound signature...time to find your own.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #116 of 204

Quote:
just FYI, but for westone, earphonesolutions ships free... and yes, i do understand the benefits of buying local as compared to online...

Do not take it the wrong way, I do not doubt your ability to understand the pros and cons of your options, but rather just to emphasize that there are other factors in the picture besides the price stated on the website. You should also consider the shipping costs involved with shipping them back for warranty in the rare case that it spoils.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #117 of 204
and multiply it a few times if you aint  taking care of your sets/ QC fails drastically / consecutive lemons, which still leads to QC issues.

Quote:
Do not take it the wrong way, I do not doubt your ability to understand the pros and cons of your options, but rather just to emphasize that there are other factors in the picture besides the price stated on the website. You should also consider the shipping costs involved with shipping them back for warranty in the rare case that it spoils.

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #118 of 204
ok ok! you've scared the living daylights out of me! -sigh- the SM3 looks and sounds really good... i don't know what to do!!!! and as for having the best, i don't think i would like to spend money again and again for subtle improvements, so i thought, just head for the best and that's it... -sigh- stressed... i really need to get some music... my current headphones don't do a thing for me...-_- BTW, do any of you have the hippo gumstick? could you please comment? thanks!^^

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #119 of 204

Quote:

VBs are also ported. Any dynamic IEM generally don't be able to isolate as well as a balanced armature. The dynamics will isolate, but probably not enough if I understand your situation. There really aren't any isolation kings I can think of other than Etys, Westone, and Shure. Well I'd assume the Earsonics would be too because they're shaped as the Westone, but those are prohibitively expensive. It all depends on how much isolation you're looking for. Yes, any IEM will isolate. It's in their design. It's just the amount that's different for each. The Earsonics are pretty close to $400 just so you know. And yeah, if you can find an authorized dealer locally, go with them instead of Earphonesolutions. They're a nice company, but they're just a hassle if you're overseas and **** happens and you get a bad pair you have to return for warranty. Shipping back and forth will without a doubt make the final price of the IEMs more than the local price.

I'm guessing the "best" IEM no matter what price is the SM3. I can't really say for a few months. The best I've owned so far would be the Monster Turbine Copper Pros. They also isolate pretty well despite being dynamic. I can mow the lawn and not hear the lawn mower with music playing. The ER4s are a good second. But that's because I really like cold, analytical the sound.

But at your age, I really don't suggest getting a top tier IEM. The IEM business is booming and anything you get now will most likely be old news by next year, maybe even before the end of the year. Not to say they'll magically sound bad, but as a teenager, you don't need to spend so much money on them. Hell, you wouldn't even be able to appreciate the difference as much as if you climbed the ladder. Get a nice home system too.
biggrin.gif
You can't do analytical listening when you're out and about as much as when you're just chilling at home. Home systems is where most of the value is. IMO. No need to argue with me other people. It's just in my experience. Diminishing returns sets in rather quickly in the portable world. I haven't heard the godliness of customs though.

The Gumstick looks to be the same as the Hisoundaudio ROCOO or whatever. I could be wrong, but they look the same. And at the price, I'd imagine they are. (the HSA is that price isn't it...?)

You don't need the best. You just need to enjoy your music. That's the whole point of this hobby. Don't pay attention to the guys that spend thousands on equipment, the only thing that's truly important is your music. Don't get too far into our asylum of sorts. Some people (generally newbies) just like having "the best" gear. The sad thing is, they might not even know why it's "the best." Just get lost in your music and try not to spend more than $1000. I've only spent about $4-700 (not sure in the slightest. And that's with every audio purchase. Home and portable. My prebuilt (working on making my own headphones) headphones cost about $120 collectively. Just a matter of getting lucky.) since I've gotten into this hobby. I got lucky with the Coppers and got them for free.

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #120 of 204
Gumstick reviews:
http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=15557.0
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499767/my-review-of-the-hippo-gumstick

As for getting the "best" earphones: there will always be better products out there, but in this hobby you do end up paying more and more for smaller and smaller improvements in quality. Perhaps you should set a budget, and get the best that your budget allows. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back